Farming Forum UK

A forum for farmers and country-folk worldwide.
It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:59 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:31 pm 

Cast ewes are on fire at Brock at the moment, so he could easily have done.
I have been told by two different people that one went for £170 a while back, so there must be a shortage somewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:32 pm 

hedgeman wrote:
Cast ewes are on fire at Brock at the moment, so he could easily have done.
I have been told by two different people that one went for £170 a while back, so there must be a shortage somewhere.

Yes ewes are making a good price at the moment, shortage and halal trade is going well. also lamb prices are due to strong export trades.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:04 pm 

how long before we are paying more for a Doner Kebab then
or doesn't lips/eyeballs/arseholes count

while I'm on, why are supermarket sausages so bad, you can't beat a butcher's sausage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:05 pm 

rogerm wrote:

while I'm on, why are supermarket sausages so bad, you can't beat a butcher's sausage

See your first part of the reply....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:36 am 

Lord Muck wrote:
rogerm wrote:

That's the mechanism, not the reason. There is clearly a market for decent sausages containing real bits of meat rather than pulverised meat/gristle slurry, and the cost of making them is not high, so why don't the supermarkets (who may be rogues, but aren't fools) go for that market? I do find it puzzling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:16 pm 

RGSP wrote:
Lord Muck wrote:
rogerm wrote:

That's the mechanism, not the reason. There is clearly a market for decent sausages containing real bits of meat rather than pulverised meat/gristle slurry, and the cost of making them is not high, so why don't the supermarkets (who may be rogues, but aren't fools) go for that market? I do find it puzzling.

After decades of eating things masquerading as sausages. The general populace no longer have the same view on what a sausage should be. In much the same way as fish fingers and fish in pouches has now spawned a generation unaware of what or how to use a fish knife.

There was a trial somewhere think USA with egg powder and after so long being fed from day one eggs made from the powder they could not longer eat normal eggs. Think it was astronauts.

Much the same as people don't like full fat milk or full fat yoghurt or now full fat butter. They have become accustomed. Same as I am accustomed to what bacon should be and am sick when trying to eat the stuff called bacon here. 1/4 inch of meat with 2" of fat either side on your plate is not bacon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:23 pm 

SJP wrote:

After decades of eating things masquerading as sausages. The general populace no longer have the same view on what a sausage should be.

Same as I am accustomed to what bacon should be and am sick when trying to eat the stuff called bacon here. 1/4 inch of meat with 2" of fat either side on your plate is not bacon.

Well, so much the better for Andrews in Hadleigh, whose Lincolnshire or Sun Dried Tomato and Oregano sausages are consistently good, and not particularly expensive either (unlike Jimmy Doherty's, which are more than £1 each!).

On the fat bacon thing, if you go back 80 years it was very much the norm here too: if you're short of calories in your diet, fat bacon is a cheap way of getting lots and lots of them. William Cobbet in the late 18th Century was very much in favour of fat bacon too (see e.g. Cottage Economy, or Rural Rides).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:42 pm 

RGSP wrote:
SJP wrote:

After decades of eating things masquerading as sausages. The general populace no longer have the same view on what a sausage should be.

Same as I am accustomed to what bacon should be and am sick when trying to eat the stuff called bacon here. 1/4 inch of meat with 2" of fat either side on your plate is not bacon.

Well, so much the better for Andrews in Hadleigh, whose Lincolnshire or Sun Dried Tomato and Oregano sausages are consistently good, and not particularly expensive either (unlike Jimmy Doherty's, which are more than £1 each!).

On the fat bacon thing, if you go back 80 years it was very much the norm here too: if you're short of calories in your diet, fat bacon is a cheap way of getting lots and lots of them. William Cobbet in the late 18th Century was very much in favour of fat bacon too (see e.g. Cottage Economy, or Rural Rides).

Dick

Bit of a dichotomy there on one hand advocating a sausage I hardly think of as traditional or what I want with sun dried tomatoes and oregano. Bloody trendy food. What is wrong with pork and breadcrumbs and UK herbs.

And then extol the virtues of complete fat sausages of the 18 th century. Just give me a 1960 sausage no foreign herbs and you know what you are getting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:08 pm 

SJP wrote:
RGSP wrote:
SJP wrote:

Dick

Bit of a dichotomy there on one hand advocating a sausage I hardly think of as traditional or what I want with sun dried tomatoes and oregano. Bloody trendy food. What is wrong with pork and breadcrumbs and UK herbs.

And then extol the virtues of complete fat sausages of the 18 th century. Just give me a 1960 sausage no foreign herbs and you know what you are getting.

Didn't say I liked fat bacon myself, just pointing out that lean bacon was a modern preference. Note that Texels (such as I keep) are low fat sheep.

I don't see what's wrong with putting trendy seasonings in sausages, as an alternative to the traditional ones. The main thing is to get plenty of decent, not too finely ground, meat in them first, then the right amount of breadcrumbs, and anything else is surely to personal taste? Home-made mutton sausages are pretty good, but you need to add a bit of belly pork to make them "work" properly BTW.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:06 pm 

my wife before i met her would only eat tesco value sausages! but that soon changed when i brought home a variety of different flavoured sausages that i made in our shop, she now likes Pork & stuffing / pork & apple / pok & cranberry / pork & leek / pork & apricot and my wonderful old english chipolatas. i also converted her to eating proper faggots

take a look at my pics

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:10 pm 

The last time i saw that many faggots up for sale, i was in Ipswich.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:11 pm 

When can we organize a tasting trip?

Looks like a candidate for a Grand Day Out, is there a good brewery near you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:14 pm 

The slightest mention of faggots and you want a f*ckin' day out... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:20 pm 

I can't resist a faggot, you know that. I go weak at the knees at the sniff of one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:23 pm 

nothing wrong also with campbells meat balls of old. Poor mans tinned faggott.

Better than a barkers egg. In old fashioned sausage am I right it is basicaly pork meat and breadcrumbs with salt and pepper and maybe a bit of parsley. Which was what good old Walls sausages where. And a darn great sticker on em saying pork meat only. Used to buy lots of stuff for eating out the UK but now difficult to find something worth the money.

Can you keenmeatco do a package up for sending out. TIA.

Reply to topic 
 [ 50 posts ]