Farming Forum UK

A forum for farmers and country-folk worldwide.
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:58 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Tesco in Sheringham
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:28 pm 

Tesco are still fighting for the right to destroy the main shopping street in Sheringham, a unanimous rejection by the town council. Recently we have had a Tesco forced upon us in Aylsham, despite a 7 year fight to keep them out, and already the existing Budgens is empty and the town centre is noticeably quieter. How long before our selection of independent butchers, greengrocers and other shops begins to suffer as a result.

Anybody who says that a Tesco invasion of a small town has a beneficial effect should visit Stalham.

Is there anything that can be done to prevent Tesco using their bullying tactics to destroy our small towns and businesses or is what they are doing a good thing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:43 pm 

Interesting topic. The irony is that if the general public were genuinely behind the bid to keep them out, Tesco (et al) wouldn't have a hope in hell of turning a profit because nobody would shop in them.

So to stop them, you're trying to go against public demand, which is undemocratic.

Fact of the matter is though that the general public are wrong! It seems cheaper at first to shop in Tesco, but it actually really isn't - and the things they sell are on the whole of a way lower quality than good local produce available directly from the butcher, greengrocer, baker etc - and then there's the impact on the local economy, which has a knock-on effect on the content of the wallet in their pocket that's paying for the shopping in the first place.

The only real benefits, long term, to shopping in somewhere like Tesco is the convenience. It's harder and harder to park in towns I find - and I'm not alone. And then there's the time involved in going from shop to shop making transactions in each one - that will almost certainly have to involve cash, which is a pain in the bum.

What's the answer to the problem then?

Well - the high street shops are going to have to get together and make it more convenient to shop in them IMO. Once it's a doddle to nip into town and buy some good quality produce, I'll be doing a hell of a lot more of it. Until then, like many, I'll grit my teeth and shop in Tesco with a bad taste in my mouth, but knowing its taking up only 30 mins to an hour of my week rather than a whole afternoon.

This is capitalism in progress - and hopefully the result will be that the local shops buck up their ideas and improve their service - which is a GOOD thing.

So long as they can get it sorted before they go out of business all together.

Eutopian solution - large car park, under cover market, ONE checkout for all goods purchased.

IMO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:52 pm 

Here in Louth we have a small Somerfield and a smallish co-op. The traditional shops in town are still doing well. If a large tesco or similar came here I think it would ruin the town center. I wouldnt even attempt to suggest a solution to the problem with the supermarkets however I dont think the residents of Louth would allow it :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:16 am 

bobholiday wrote:
Interesting topic. The irony is that if the general public were genuinely behind the bid to keep them out, Tesco (et al) wouldn't have a hope in hell of turning a profit because nobody would shop in them.

So to stop them, you're trying to go against public demand, which is undemocratic.

In this particular instance, the Anti-Tesco campaign raised a substantial petition against their development. Tesco raised a rival petition and were only able to canvas 60 or so signatures in favour of the development, so it wasn't undemocratic to object to its building.

bobholiday wrote:
Fact of the matter is though that the general public are wrong! It seems cheaper at first to shop in Tesco, but it actually really isn't - and the things they sell are on the whole of a way lower quality than good local produce available directly from the butcher, greengrocer, baker etc - and then there's the impact on the local economy, which has a knock-on effect on the content of the wallet in their pocket that's paying for the shopping in the first place.

Well we agree on that point.

bobholiday wrote:
The only real benefits, long term, to shopping in somewhere like Tesco is the convenience. It's harder and harder to park in towns I find - and I'm not alone. And then there's the time involved in going from shop to shop making transactions in each one - that will almost certainly have to involve cash, which is a pain in the bum.

What's the answer to the problem then?

Well - the high street shops are going to have to get together and make it more convenient to shop in them IMO. Once it's a doddle to nip into town and buy some good quality produce, I'll be doing a hell of a lot more of it. Until then, like many, I'll grit my teeth and shop in Tesco with a bad taste in my mouth, but knowing its taking up only 30 mins to an hour of my week rather than a whole afternoon.

This is capitalism in progress - and hopefully the result will be that the local shops buck up their ideas and improve their service - which is a GOOD thing.

I am the last person to object to capitalism in progress, however I do object to capitalism practised without conscience or any sense of responsibility as Tesco do it. Let's not kid ourselves here, Tesco do not do anything for the benefit of their customers or the consumer in general, their only responsibility is to their shareholders and their board of directors.

bobholiday wrote:
So long as they can get it sorted before they go out of business all together.

Eutopian solution - large car park, under cover market, ONE checkout for all goods purchased.

IMO

I wish I could share your optimism, however this time next year I expect Aylsham town centre to be a very different place, shortly followed by Sheringham.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:59 am 

The bottom line is this:

I always try and shop from local purveyors if possible.

Tesco and the rest can brand it as 'Finest' or whatever, but you will not beat a decent butcher, greengrocer or baker for their products.

Anyway, whats with all the 'Value' and 'Finest' lark ??

When did you last go into a butchers and say "Hi, have you any Rump steak?" to which he replies " Yes Sir ! Do you want some really nice stuff, or some old crap ?" The quality of the meat should be determined by the cut, not by whether its from a pedigree herd or off the back of a skip waggon.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:28 am 

I have had serious issues with Tescos for several years. They are too big, too powerful, and not only dictate buying patterns of their customers, they also track everything that is purchased through the Club Card. It is not a loyalty card, it is a big brother card, and it worries me that a retailer knows so much about the buying habits of its customers. They condition you into buying what they want you to buy, and the consumer loses out because their ability to chose is gone.

Trying to get wife to buy from local retailers, but she is reverting to buying crap from supermarkets again, much of which is not eaten and gets binned (eg bargain packs of sausage roll that I wont eat, and the boy turns his nose up at) As a consequence, our food bills are going through the roof.

Back to the thread; Tesco are now taking £1 in 7 spent in the UK. After the govt. they are responsible for taking more of our money than any other organisation. This is not good for anyone but tesco and their shareholders.

The only action i can take is not to use them, so that is what i have done. Now we need to persuade friends and relatives to do the same. Its an up-hill battle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:43 pm 

Agree with all Billy says. Of course the other thing is that they offer the Council sweeteners - provide money for leisure facilities etc, which smacks of bribery to me.
The only way of stopping it is to campaign, and campaign vociferously and as publicly as possible.
The one thing they hate is adverse publicity, they know they have far too much power and are terrified of the public turning against them.
I have had taken great pleasure in helping to temporarily close down several supermarket distibution centres as part of the milk protests a while back, and you could see that in spite of us knackering their schedules, they didnt want to appear heavy handed or have any press attention.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:47 pm 

We have a local butcher that has opened on the estate here. He's been in business for about 50 years and moved here when his row of shops was sold for development.

Anyway, the encouraging thing is that his trade has come with him and is infact increasing.
I had stopped buying pork up until he arrived as all the stuff i ever bought tasted like bland rubbish, mainly from Supermarkets.
He gets his pigs in every wednesday, from a farm in Wiltshire and it is first class. Its so nice to enjoy roast pork and pork chops again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:01 pm 

Just to let you know, Tesco's are out of milk.

(well, in my local one anyway)

But Blue Riband wafers are on 'Buy one get one free'.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:22 pm 

Lord Muck wrote:

Thanks.

What ON EARTH were you doing in Tesco??? :o :o :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:27 pm 

Lily the Pink wrote:
Lord Muck wrote:

Thanks.

isnt LM 1 of those "special people" that gather up the trollies and take them back to the front door

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:33 pm 

Special is a good word for LM :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:38 am 

recycled wrote:
Lily the Pink wrote:
Lord Muck wrote:

Thanks.

isnt LM 1 of those "special people" that gather up the trollies and take them back to the front door

Sod off Recycled !
You have no idea what skill and determination it takes for me to push over 30 trolleys, all with a mind of their own, through a car park with only inches to spare between vehicles.
Its damn hard work and the money isn't great, but every Tuesday, the Variety Club turns up with a bus load of day release types to use the cafe and i then get 10 minutes to myself to lick the windows.
I'll see you next Tuesday then. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:01 pm 

Tescos still trying to force their way into Hadleigh. Initially refused,now reducing the store footprint and , allegedly, offering the council an 'inducement' to get cracking (much like they did at Woodbridge). Local pro Tesco lobby quite vocal :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:04 pm 

simpleton wrote:
Tescos still trying to force their way into Hadleigh. Initially refused,now reducing the store footprint and , allegedly, offering the council an 'inducement' to get cracking (much like they did at Woodbridge). Local pro Tesco lobby quite vocal :(

I'm not sure of the current state of play in Sheringham.
Tesco's had been a bit quiet on the whole in many areas but maybe this is a sign of them upping the stakes again ?

Reply to topic 
 [ 30 posts ]