Farming Forum UK

A forum for farmers and country-folk worldwide.
It is currently Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:53 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:48 pm 

Lord Muck wrote:
simpleton wrote:
Tescos still trying to force their way into Hadleigh. Initially refused,now reducing the store footprint and , allegedly, offering the council an 'inducement' to get cracking (much like they did at Woodbridge). Local pro Tesco lobby quite vocal :(

I'm not sure of the current state of play in Sheringham.
Tesco's had been a bit quiet on the whole in many areas but maybe this is a sign of them upping the stakes again ?

Just interested in the view from over there of the pro lobby. Does it help house price or snobbery value if Tesco are really local.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:14 pm 

not sure Stephen. I sold my house in Beccles, which used to look out over the Bowling Green belonging to Clowes, the local print works. Clowes sold their factory and social club to Tesco, for re-development into a large in-town store. My view used to be of a factory roof, and a bowling green - the people who own it now look out ontop a large car park lit by high intensity ornage lights. I know which i would prefer. However, they now have a large supermarket on their door-step, so they probably love it. No need for a fridge or freezer, the shop is open 18 hours a day.........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:42 pm 

[quote="Fat Hill"]not sure Stephen. I sold my house in Beccles, which used to look out over the Bowling Green belonging to Clowes, the local print works. Clowes sold their factory and social club to Tesco, for re-development into a large in-town store. My view used to be of a factory roof, and a bowling green - the people who own it now look out ontop a large car park lit by high intensity ornage lights. I know which i would prefer. However, they now have a large supermarket on their door-step, so they probably love it. No need for a fridge or freezer, the shop is open 18 hours a day.........[/quote]

only 18 ? we have 24

is it because it's in Suffolk ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:47 am 

cant get the staff, problee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:55 am 

Black Shuck has a mosey across Gillingham dam most nights some time between midnight and 6 am. You won't find anyone out of doors in Beccles during that period. Very sensible too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:53 pm 

SJP wrote:
Lord Muck wrote:
simpleton wrote:
Tescos still trying to force their way into Hadleigh. Initially refused,now reducing the store footprint and , allegedly, offering the council an 'inducement' to get cracking (much like they did at Woodbridge). Local pro Tesco lobby quite vocal :(

I'm not sure of the current state of play in Sheringham.
Tesco's had been a bit quiet on the whole in many areas but maybe this is a sign of them upping the stakes again ?

Just interested in the view from over there of the pro lobby. Does it help house price or snobbery value if Tesco are really local.

Not sure what their reasoning is - theres (surprise, surprise) already a vast Tesco about 15 miles to the east, and another a similar distance to the west in Sudbury. World domination strategy. I don't think a local Tesco coud be described as snobbery- if it was Waitrose, wold be a different matter :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:58 pm 

I see from the local news that Sheringham have refused Tesco yet again BUT have approved a Waitrose store instead!!
Tescos now taking Sheringham to court?
Perhaps a local could fill in the details....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:05 am 

simpleton wrote:
I see from the local news that Sheringham have refused Tesco yet again BUT have approved a Waitrose store instead!!
Tescos now taking Sheringham to court?
Perhaps a local could fill in the details....

Been away for a couple of weeks, this one has slipped past me. I'll see if I can find out some detail but I suspect it will have something to do with the fact that Waitrose are a niche retailer and the hearest branch is in Cringleford whereas Tesco have already blighted Aylsham and Stalham and anywhere else with a population of more than 4.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:00 am 

Lumpkin wrote:
Tesco have already blighted Aylsham and Stalham and anywhere else with a population of more than 4.

They haven't got one in Bodham...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:53 pm 

Tesco's is a good shop. It gives the consumer what it wants. There are issues with way big companies treat suppliers and Tesco's would do well to be a leader in this, but I can normally get what I want in there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:08 pm 

Have to admit that yes, i use supermarkets, i just cant seem to find the time to go highstreet shopping.

Though my most commonly used "supermarket" now is ALDI to buy vegetables, as all their seasonal produce is scottish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:20 pm 

dust n diesel wrote:
Have to admit that yes, i use supermarkets, i just cant seem to find the time to go highstreet shopping.

Though my most commonly used "supermarket" now is ALDI to buy vegetables, as all their seasonal produce is scottish.

My local butcher has big signs in his window saying SCOTTISH BEEF. We're a flippin' long way from Scotchland :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:29 pm 

The Pretender wrote:
dust n diesel wrote:

My local butcher has big signs in his window saying SCOTTISH BEEF. We're a flippin' long way from Scotchland :roll:

Yes, but, he obviously likes to sell quality, and fair play to him for doing so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:20 pm 

dust n diesel wrote:
The Pretender wrote:
dust n diesel wrote:

Yes, but, he obviously likes to sell quality, and fair play to him for doing so.

I don't like thistle down in me steak

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:39 pm 

The Pretender wrote:
dust n diesel wrote:
The Pretender wrote:
dust n diesel wrote:

I don't like thistle down in me steak

The best thing about Scottish beef is that it usually comes ready with chips.....

F*ck you aswell.... :lol:

Reply to topic 
 [ 30 posts ]