Farming Forum UK

A forum for farmers and country-folk worldwide.
It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:26 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:33 pm 

I think when you have a busy, hectic schedule with work/family commitments then £5 is a bloomin bargain for somebody to go round the shop, collect your shopping, put it through the checkout, re-pack it into bags, load it into a truck and deliver it to your door and all you have to do is spend half an hour (if that) ordering it online.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:49 pm 

Lincs Lassy wrote:
I think when you have a busy, hectic schedule with work/family commitments then £5 is a bloomin bargain for somebody to go round the shop, collect your shopping, put it through the checkout, re-pack it into bags, load it into a truck and deliver it to your door and all you have to do is spend half an hour (if that) ordering it online.

My lady, as always, your lightest touch commands obedience. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:58 pm 

:P ...Talk about funny. A huge Tescos advert has started flashing at the top of the page.

I wonder if they can hear me?

How ye, Tescos...yer a load of sh#te, now go away and bother someone else.

That's them told. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:55 am 

jonnieboy wrote:
The Pretender wrote:
Lord Muck wrote:
The Pretender wrote:
Why not just drive to the shops and get it yourself, like everyone else does? I know it's Asda, but when you've actually been side an Asda you will suddenly feel much better about yourself. It's like therapy only you come home with your shopping

When you pay a company for a service which THEY offer and they don't deliver (literally), why the f*ck should you have to collect the stuff yourself ?

Cos I have a car and am quite capable of getting my own shopping

i will let you take my 3 young uns next time you go see how capable you are then :wink:

we use them because its 12 miles each way to the nearest supermarket and if you go on a saturday its chaos , sunday is better but it eats away at family time

and if you order online you get what you need and not a heap of crap on buy one get 7 free or whatever

in the light of above £5 seems cheap

I quite like going shopping, but can understand that dragging little ones around there is no fun. Even when we are busy in the summer I manage. I only order the minium of stuff on line and that would never include food. Ever. It won;t take much longer to shop for 1 as it would a family

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:29 am 

The Pretender wrote:
jonnieboy wrote:
The Pretender wrote:
Lord Muck wrote:
The Pretender wrote:
Why not just drive to the shops and get it yourself, like everyone else does? I know it's Asda, but when you've actually been side an Asda you will suddenly feel much better about yourself. It's like therapy only you come home with your shopping

When you pay a company for a service which THEY offer and they don't deliver (literally), why the f*ck should you have to collect the stuff yourself ?

Cos I have a car and am quite capable of getting my own shopping

i will let you take my 3 young uns next time you go see how capable you are then :wink:

we use them because its 12 miles each way to the nearest supermarket and if you go on a saturday its chaos , sunday is better but it eats away at family time

and if you order online you get what you need and not a heap of crap on buy one get 7 free or whatever

in the light of above £5 seems cheap

I quite like going shopping, but can understand that dragging little ones around there is no fun. Even when we are busy in the summer I manage. I only order the minium of stuff on line and that would never include food. Ever. It won;t take much longer to shop for 1 as it would a family

Do you need to buy nappies? household consumables for a family of 5, washing powder etc, food for 2 adults + 3 growing kids, takes a lot of time, more so than for one. Regularly shopping for myself, and having been with my sister on a few occasions, who has same size family as JB, i know which trip i prefer. 20 minutes does me for a big shopping, sister is in the fecking place for over an hour by the time toilet trips, tantrums and the logistics of pushing a heaving trolley and herding 2 mobile little darlings and one trolley bound smurf are taken care of. Not to mention the time it takes to load them in the car, unload them at shops, load them again, put shopping in, shopping trip can be a 4 hour outing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:18 pm 

dust n diesel wrote:
the logistics of pushing a heaving trolley and herding 2 mobile little darlings and one trolley bound smurf are taken care of

I enjoy our little outings and she normally buys me a Curly-wurly if I behave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:24 pm 

dust n diesel wrote:
Do you need to buy nappies? household consumables for a family of 5, washing powder etc, food for 2 adults + 3 growing kids, takes a lot of time, more so than for one. Regularly shopping for myself, and having been with my sister on a few occasions, who has same size family as JB, i know which trip i prefer. 20 minutes does me for a big shopping, sister is in the fecking place for over an hour by the time toilet trips, tantrums and the logistics of pushing a heaving trolley and herding 2 mobile little darlings and one trolley bound smurf are taken care of. Not to mention the time it takes to load them in the car, unload them at shops, load them again, put shopping in, shopping trip can be a 4 hour outing.

Sister has 2 little ones, they do kick off now and again, but I've not heard of much shopping trauma. I reckon when the whole family goes shopping it would be better for all concerned if dad takes the kids to the park while mum does the shopping.

What time frame do they give you for delivering your shopping and what hours do they deliver? It would be unlikely to be any benefit to me at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:27 pm 

The Pretender wrote:
What time frame do they give you for delivering your shopping and what hours do they deliver? It would be unlikely to be any benefit to me at all.

I think they have a minimum order policy.
Don't think they would come out for two boxes of Findus crispy pancakes, a tracker bar, value tub of Vaseline and a Toblerone. :lol:

I think they give you a 2 hr window to choose from so not bad.
Handy if you work long hours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:46 pm 

I reckon it is a bloody good value for money. Cripes I have to drive for over an hour to find a supermarket.

Local shops are OK but not much choice or quality. Except bread. My daily pinta is bought from one of the men's cows which he milked before coming to work. As almost everyone has a cow no milk sold in villages. Sure no TB testing, no pasteurising but tastes like I remember as a child. But for weekends need to get UHT in if no weekend work on and he doesn't come.

But other than bread and milk both of which with a one day time of use. I get everything from a foreign owned supermarket. And would be cheaper to pay a fiver for delivery.

hence need for a LWB defender :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:53 pm 

Lord Muck wrote:
The Pretender wrote:

Don't think they would come out for two boxes of Findus crispy pancakes, a tracker bar, value tub of Vaseline and a Toblerone. :lol:

It's Ok if you can order from work for them to be there when you get home, but if you don't have internet access at work (the likes of us) then get home late in the evening (harvest time) after they have knocked off, it's not so handy.

This is a bit like all the other time saving devices like mobile phones, email and the likes, you still end up rushing around and not having time to do stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:54 pm 

Lord Muck wrote:
The Pretender wrote:

`

yep its a 2 hr slot up till about 10 pm

£25 minimum order i think

yes it is good value if they do it

what really pissed us off was the lack of communication as i was in town for diesel at 5 pm that night so could have done the shopping myself if they had said

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:56 pm 

jonnieboy wrote:
Lord Muck wrote:
The Pretender wrote:

`

yep its a 2 hr slot up till about 10 pm

£25 minimum order i think

yes it is good value if they do it

what really pissed us off was the lack of communication as i was in town for diesel at 5 pm that night so could have done the shopping myself if they had said

They were delivering to a house just down the road not 10 minutes ago, do you want me to have a word?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:41 pm 

Thats the thing here I reckon - the lack of communication.
We know the roads are bad, just tell us you're not coming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:12 pm 

Lord Muck wrote:

That's annoying when it's a christmas present, but not acceptable when it's your groceries.

Other supermarkets are available, though

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:18 pm 

The Pretender wrote:
Lord Muck wrote:

That's annoying when it's a christmas present, but not acceptable when it's your groceries.

Other supermarkets are available, though

Too true.

Reply to topic 
 [ 33 posts ]