Farming Forum UK

A forum for farmers and country-folk worldwide.
It is currently Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:52 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: plastic bags
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:10 pm 

On November 1st the Welsh Assembly {government] banned the free issue of plastic bags in Wales - now you have to pay the shop 5p for every bag you have. The money is supposed to be donated to charity by the shops - oh yeah!

Called at the small Tesco at Cardigan this afternoon - not a hand basket in sight. The manager said since the free bags were withdrawn they only have some 20 hand baskets left out of the 150 the store should have. The shoppers are taking the baskets home with their groceries in !!!

Apparantly its a huge problem throughout Wales over the past 3 weeks. I bought a roll of white plastic bin liner bags which work out at £0.009p each - hardly breaks the bank.

I get more an more pissed off with the way people are today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:23 pm 

I've got some of the green plastic trays they use for home delivery if you want one. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:25 pm 

JM wrote:
I've got some of the green plastic trays they use for home delivery if you want one. :D

Can you keep them for me please - to sprout the early taters I'm buying off you in the Spring

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:45 pm 

I bought some of Asda's hessian bags when they were threatening to stop giving out poly bags in supermarkets a couple of years ago.
... but they've never actually stopped giving them out - they just made them thinner & so they split & rip easier ... so they can't be reused & they just get thrown out!

Always use my hessian bags though! 8)

Btw. Never store anything away wrapped in a Tesco polybag! :o They're made to disintegrate after a couple of months & you end up with thousands of pieces of poly bag laid about. I though I had mice! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:52 pm 

Plastic is a by-product of oil refining (awaits Muck to shoot me down in flames). If they don't turn it into plastic bags it gets flared off. There is nothing wrong with using a disposable bag and putting it in the recycling, it's the pillocks that let them blow every where that cause the problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:01 am 

I like M&S carrier bags as they are made of good thick stuff. If you self checkout the till asks you how many bags you have used, I wonder how many people are actually honest :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:56 am 

Do you think the lack of plastic bags is responsible for Bongo's problem?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:06 pm 

On the odd occasion i catch the Metro into Newcastle, i always know when i am approaching the Kingston Park station, home of the largest Tescos supermarket in the region because every tree, hedge, fence and embankment is festooned with plastic bags and other human detritus.

Makes one feel proud to be British! :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:36 pm 

Wuffler wrote:
On the odd occasion i catch the Metro into Newcastle, i always know when i am approaching the Kingston Park station, home of the largest Tescos supermarket in the region because every tree, hedge, fence and embankment is festooned with plastic bags and other human detritus.

Makes one feel proud to be British! :roll:

Baggies fans like them :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:49 pm 

The Pretender wrote:
Plastic is a by-product of oil refining (awaits Muck to shoot me down in flames). If they don't turn it into plastic bags it gets flared off.

Thats exactly what it is. Its the low end shyte.
The Tesco bags are made to self-destruct about 3 yards from your car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:02 pm 

Ten miles from the nearest town / supermarket. I probably get more litter from those helium filled party balloons than anything else. But why is it that the majority of the rubbish on the road side verges usually originates from Muckdonalds?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:58 am 

Ragwort wrote:
Ten miles from the nearest town / supermarket. I probably get more litter from those helium filled party balloons than anything else. But why is it that the majority of the rubbish on the road side verges usually originates from Muckdonalds?

Depends where you live. One one holiday spent mainly walking in Shetland, I counted the items of rubbish on the road verges, on roads which perhaps had 10 to 50 cars per day along them. The average was one whisky bottle (empty of course) per 4.5 paces, mostly flat shape half bottles. There were lots of other sweet wrappers and other plastic items of garbage, but whisky bottles were by far the commonest items.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:16 am 

Ragwort wrote:

Same here,though there is a proportion of KFC packaging in the mix.It does p*ss one off greatly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:32 am 

I'm always amazed how much rubbish is hidden in the road side hedges when I cut them.

I would like to see council gangs collecting road side litter. The rubbish collected is separated by brand, weighed and the relevant company charged an amount per kg for the rubbish collected. The cost of clearing up this rubbish is then passed directly to those that are most likely to throw it out.
If companies wished to they could print on their packaging something like "this product costs an extra 10p owing to packaging not being disposed of properly."

When I was at truck driving during my college days I went out with an older driver to be shown a new route. He stopped at Cosford to fill up with diesel and went into the shop to buy nearly a carrier bag full of chocolate and crisps. Driving down the motorway he would pick a treat from this bag, eat it, wind down the window and throw the wrapper out then wind the window back up again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:39 am 

This thread was removed immediately from ITV - moderator's PM said it had no relavence to farming

Strange how certain people on ITV can post anything they want to not connected to farming and its not moderated nor removed.

Reply to topic 
 [ 29 posts ]