Farming Forum UK

A forum for farmers and country-folk worldwide.
It is currently Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:27 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:48 pm 

If and when England/the UK leaves the EU, I will let you into a secret of what will change... :wink:

Fuck all.

We live in a country full of c*nts who love red-tape and creating positions for people who are unemployable wankers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:12 pm 

We should stay in the EU, if we leave we will have no say in how it is run. If people want to buy stuff off us they will continue to do so no matter if we are in or oot. But people who are not bothered about trading with us may look elsewhere. If we are out and what to sell into, we'll still have to meet all the legislation anyway and will just have to STFU about it.

The idea is right, less fighting, more trading, but it seems like the people are there to serve it, rather than it working for the people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:50 am 

Lord Muck wrote:
If and when England/the UK leaves the EU, I will let you into a secret of what will change... :wink:

Fuck all.

We live in a country full of c*nts who love red-tape and creating positions for people who are unemployable wankers.

Precisely.

And on the subject of feeding kitchen waste to chickens, the ban was proposed to the EU by DEFRA in 2001 following the foot and mouth outbreak in the UK, it was ratified in 2011 by the European Parliament, but has been rejected by several member states of the EU including the Czech republic under article 290 of the Treaty On The Functioning of the European union as being too general and not having clear objectives. UK was within its rights as a member to reject the principles also, but UK didn't since they proposed it in the first place.

And my source for the above was was a formal request to Frédérique RIES for information.

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/meps/en/4 ... _home.html

She sits on the Committee on the Environment, Public Health and Food Safety.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:32 pm 

Lumpkin wrote:
Lord Muck wrote:

Fuck all.

Precisely.

And on the subject of feeding kitchen waste to chickens, the ban was proposed to the EU by DEFRA in 2001 following the foot and mouth outbreak in the UK, it was ratified in 2011 by the European Parliament, but has been rejected by several member states of the EU including the Czech republic under article 290 of the Treaty On The Functioning of the European union as being too general and not having clear objectives. UK was within its rights as a member to reject the principles also, but UK didn't since they proposed it in the first place.

And my source for the above was was a formal request to Frédérique RIES for information.

She can sit on my committee any time she likes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:25 pm 

graybo wrote:
Lumpkin wrote:
Lord Muck wrote:

Fuck all.

Precisely.

+1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:47 pm 

graybo wrote:
Lumpkin wrote:
Lord Muck wrote:

Fuck all.

Precisely.

Ding dong :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:51 pm 

Right said fred :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:54 pm 

Deeply dippy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:59 pm 

I'm too sexy for my shirt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:02 am 

Lumpkin wrote:
graybo wrote:
Lumpkin wrote:
Lord Muck wrote:

Fuck all.

Precisely.

+1

Head and shoulder shots can be notoriously misleading

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:25 am 

The Pretender wrote:
Lumpkin wrote:
graybo wrote:
Lumpkin wrote:
Lord Muck wrote:

Fuck all.

Precisely.

+1

Head and shoulder shots can be notoriously misleading

She is 55 years old, according to her birth date. Maybe she has had a course of Botox on the British taxpayer................................. :roll: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:51 pm 

Many thanks to Lumpkin for confirming that the chicken feeding regulations are Brussels legislation, as they had to be, even if initiated by DEFRA or their equivalents in any country.

In fact the Government line, which I think is correct, is that DEFRA cannot introduce ANY animal health legislation without Brussels approval.

Furthermore, once having accepted that legislation, the UK and DEFRA cannot stop enforcing it without Brussels approval.

Thanks also for confirming that the chicken rules don't apply across the EU.

The legislation was indeed triggered by F&M, but the drafting in the UK was done well before that in the wake of BSE, as I said, mainly because people were very worried about chickens eating chicken waste from the kitchen, which was probably silly, but true nonetheless. Banning feeding of kitchen waste to ruminants and pigs was probably rather sensible for while until robust procedures for ensuring meat waste was well cooked were in place: banning it for domestic hens is more dubious, and I won't bore people with the convoluted arguments in favour or against, but I was involved with the drafting, and I think/hope got a few silly/unenforceable clauses taken out. When F&M came along, extra legislation was all ready to take to Brussels and get approved, and there was some justification for the chicken feeding clauses if you accept that householders with hens couldn't be trusted to only feed vegetable scraps (which I don't) then there was a risk of ruminants getting access to F&M contaminated chicken feed (which I don't accept as a significant risk either).

I don't know whether Jim Paice got round to trying to rescind the Brussels legislation before he left: I do know in personal conversation he was keen to, and there are numerous reports that Owen Patterson was trying to do the same. If Lumpkin's Brussels contacts can give an answer to when the legislation will be de-ratified, then I'm sure Mrs Truss will be pleased to get that information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:30 pm 

RGSP wrote:
Many thanks to Lumpkin for confirming that the chicken feeding regulations are Brussels legislation, as they had to be, even if initiated by DEFRA or their equivalents in any country.

In fact the Government line, which I think is correct, is that DEFRA cannot introduce ANY animal health legislation without Brussels approval.

Furthermore, once having accepted that legislation, the UK and DEFRA cannot stop enforcing it without Brussels approval.

Thanks also for confirming that the chicken rules don't apply across the EU.

The legislation was indeed triggered by F&M, but the drafting in the UK was done well before that in the wake of BSE, as I said, mainly because people were very worried about chickens eating chicken waste from the kitchen, which was probably silly, but true nonetheless. Banning feeding of kitchen waste to ruminants and pigs was probably rather sensible for while until robust procedures for ensuring meat waste was well cooked were in place: banning it for domestic hens is more dubious, and I won't bore people with the convoluted arguments in favour or against, but I was involved with the drafting, and I think/hope got a few silly/unenforceable clauses taken out. When F&M came along, extra legislation was all ready to take to Brussels and get approved, and there was some justification for the chicken feeding clauses if you accept that householders with hens couldn't be trusted to only feed vegetable scraps (which I don't) then there was a risk of ruminants getting access to F&M contaminated chicken feed (which I don't accept as a significant risk either).

I don't know whether Jim Paice got round to trying to rescind the Brussels legislation before he left: I do know in personal conversation he was keen to, and there are numerous reports that Owen Patterson was trying to do the same. If Lumpkin's Brussels contacts can give an answer to when the legislation will be de-ratified, then I'm sure Mrs Truss will be pleased to get that information.

I will put in another information request on Monday. And if anybody else is curious, all MEPs have access to a large number of researchers whose job it is to get up in the morning and answer emails from the likes of me. It is a free service and we should make use of it as part of our democratic right.

Reply to topic 
 [ 28 posts ]