Farming Forum UK

A forum for farmers and country-folk worldwide.
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:05 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:38 pm 

Flintstone wrote:
About thirty years ago a bunch of us pub regulars pitched in to help a local thatcher bring in a field of wheat. It had already been cut, we just had to put it through an old belt-driven thresher.

The thatcher went up on top and we were issued with pitchforks to join the wheatsheaves up to him, hellif it wunt warm going. What I wasn't ready for was the dust, I spent the next three days blowing out black snot and bogies.

That's what it used to be like before the advent of combine cabs. There was a device known as an 'Airstream Helmet' which was bliss compared to the dust, but it didn't 'arf get hot wearing one!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:02 pm 

This is the first combine harvester we ever had. It is a Claas Super Junior. A bagger combine - they nearly all were in those days - it was five feet six inches cut. The tractor, an International Harvester model 'M', I believe (or it could have been an 'H') pulled and powered the combine. The tractor only has a single acting clutch, so if you had to stop for any reason, you had to get it out of gear pretty quick to stop the combine clogging up!

The same combine, but driven and pulled by a Massey 35, which had a dual clutch! Much better. The first picture would have been taken in about the mid-fifties, and the second one in the early sixties. My father is on the bagging platform of the combine in both pictures, and my cousin Mike is driving the tractor. Both of them are long gone now, sadly.

This is Claas Super. A seven foot cut model, but still a bagger. Yours truly is on the bagging platform!!!

Now onto the late sixties, and our first tanker combine - a Claas Super 500. My father is driving the tractor towing the combine, and it is me driving the tractor towing the trailer. My brother is standing on the drawbar. 'Elfin safety didn't come into it in those days!!!!

My father driving a Massey 65 pulling the Claas 500. Compare the thickness of the crop with the first picture!!! This would have been taken around 1970.

Finally, me driving the first self propelled combine we had - a Claas SF. They were the dirtiest combine harvester in terms of dust I have even been on! A low driving platform meant that you got most of the dust blowing off the header, and as the drum cover was directly behind your seat, dust flew out of there as well. Filthy isn't the word. At night, when we had finished, I used to get two buckets of hot water and stand in the middle of the lawn bollock naked. I poured one bucket over me, swabbed down, and then rinsed off with the other bucket! Sadly (or not!) no pics of that occurrence!!! :D

Reply to topic 
 [ 17 posts ]