Farming Forum UK

A forum for farmers and country-folk worldwide.
It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 12:37 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:36 pm 

recycled wrote:
Lincs Lassy wrote:
Oi!!! In that case I am a natural blonde :o :roll: :twisted: :!:

can you prove that?? :wink:

'Course she can! (but may not want to).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:01 pm 

This is what I've been apprenticing on for a few days,The hedge hadn't been touched for around 50 years and its no exaggeration to say that it was 40ft high and up to 10 inches in diameter in places.

the finished product-I'd just like to point out that I didn't lay any of the hedge as that was down to the guy who very kindly let me join him,but I did put the binders on.

plenty of wood in there...

a closeup of my handywork
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:22 pm 

What wood is been layed and what do you use for binders. Again great to see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:37 pm 

It was all hawthorn and the binders used on this hedge are coppiced willow,although in the other pictures i've posted it is coppiced hazel as thats what I usually use on the hedges I lay myself.Hazel is more ridgid than willow but harder to find and more expensive per bundle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:54 am 

Looks a bloody mess if you ask me. You would have been far better to hoik it all out with a CAT 951 and then push it into a heap, roll in a couple of lorry tyres and 20 gallons of diesel and flash the bugger up.

Only kidding. :wink:
Once again its a fantastic example of what can only be desribed as 'Art'.
I hope that more people take the move to have this type of work done as i believe it has no downsides, only benefits.

Well done Blumenthal. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:04 pm 

neat looking hedges years ago i heard a scotsman thought gorse would make good hedages in NZ from those few seeds it lead to a multy millon dollar industry controling it :x
yep they look good but i will not kid like LM did an ex 200 or cat 320 with root rake and pull them out but in saying that i'd plant treelanes for wind and shelter :wink:

Aren't blow up dolls fucking great?
I mean, where else can you find a woman that always looks shocked at the size of your cock?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:07 pm 

Lord Muck wrote:
Looks a bloody mess if you ask me. You would have been far better to hoik it all out with a CAT 951 and then push it into a heap, roll in a couple of lorry tyres and 20 gallons of diesel and flash the bugger up.

I hope that more people take the move to have this type of work done as i believe it has no downsides, only benefits.

Well done Blumenthal. 8)

Thanks LM-hopefully there will be much more done especially as the miles of hedgerows that have been planted on various schemes mature.I read alot of A.G Street and in some of his books set in the latter part of the 1800's there are many references to hedgers and ditchers working throughout the winter on farms and also 'drowners' taking care of water meadows.Times have to change I suppose,but It saddens me to see some of the neglect of hedgerows and ditches but I guess it all comes down to money-or the lack of it.

And yes,the cat would have been quicker :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:15 pm 

Blumenthal wrote:
I read alot of A.G Street and in some of his books set in the latter part of the 1800's there are many references to hedgers and ditchers

I read a lot of Razzle and there are many references to dykes and bushes...... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:00 pm 

JD Kid wrote:
neat looking hedges years ago i heard a scotsman thought gorse would make good hedages in NZ from those few seeds it lead to a multy millon dollar industry controling it :x
yep they look good but i will not kid like LM did an ex 200 or cat 320 with root rake and pull them out but in saying that i'd plant treelanes for wind and shelter :wink:

JD,not sure if you have heard of this but there is a guy called Karl Liebscher from over here that has been out to NZ a couple of times to lay hedges and has taught a couple of lads over there so you may come across some....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:50 pm 

Hi ya
there is some hedgeing not a lot tho bit of box thorn etc etc
main one that used to be about was gorse eather cut by hand with slashers or some middle age war machine that scared the hell out of all that see them ..
of course gorse done a few thing one being takeing off in to paddocks here gorse if it can get started will move about a meter a year it just loves it out here second thing is it dies back and ya get holes in ya fence so most of them have been ripped out ..
pine and blue gums flaxs etc etc end up as shelter alot being cut into a headge with just the sides cut up to 20 odd foot + seeing the hedge cutters working is almost like watching fire works HAHAHA
http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about1157.html
video on there
http://www.treetopping.co.nz/

Aren't blow up dolls fucking great?
I mean, where else can you find a woman that always looks shocked at the size of your cock?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:40 pm 

Blumenthal wrote:
Lord Muck wrote:

Well done Blumenthal. 8)

Thanks LM-hopefully there will be much more done especially as the miles of hedgerows that have been planted on various schemes mature.I read alot of A.G Street and in some of his books set in the latter part of the 1800's there are many references to hedgers and ditchers working throughout the winter on farms and also 'drowners' taking care of water meadows.Times have to change I suppose,but It saddens me to see some of the neglect of hedgerows and ditches but I guess it all comes down to money-or the lack of it.

And yes,the cat would have been quicker :)

I know of a farm not far from here where the farmer would put 2 men at opposite ends of the ditch so they couldn't slacken off by talking to each other

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:32 pm 

heres a few from that charity hedgelaying thing i did a while ago,i was described as average which isnt bad considering i was the only 'novice' cutting on my own and there were most of the top cutters in the country also cutting that day.

some of the finished sections.

my bit

I almost look like i know what i'm doing......

Reply to topic 
 [ 72 posts ]