hedgelaying

For topics containing photos or pictures which are related to farming.
Fat Hill

Post by Fat Hill » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:21 pm

Heston, I am impressed. Snail porridge, egg and bacon ice cream, and now this....I know a chap near me who has had about 400 metres of hedge laid. Quad-bod and I know the man that did it. To say that he had made an abortion of it would be kind. It is beyond shyte. Don't know why they bothered. A neatly trimmed hedge would be 10 times better than what they have done.

I saw some unbelievably well laid hedges in Shropshire and Oxfordshire, and particularly in Warwickshire. It seems stock counties are much more prepared to invest time and effort in hedges than arable counties - fairly obviously you would think, but I have only seen one laid hedge in Suffolk. and you would say that they should have saved the energy. If you are going to make your valuable estate look nice, you would think it was worth spending a bob or 3 on laying a hedge like that above
I'm nearly there......but not quite

dust n diesel

Post by dust n diesel » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:27 pm

Hedges are invaluable for providing a bit of shelter to stock. Well shelter for cows, and somewhere for sheep to die......
Hiya Guys!, weekends 'ere again.....

hedgeman

Post by hedgeman » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:39 pm

Nice job.
Hope to get cracking with mine this week.
There is quite a bit done round about here because we are a stock area, but not in that style. It looks a nice young hedge.

Lord Muck

Post by Lord Muck » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:13 am

I must say that what you have posted is nothing short of art.
I take of my bowler hat to you.
You are indeed a craftsman. 8)
Lovely, lovely, lovely....hahahahaha

rogerm

Post by rogerm » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:20 am

It's a fairly regular thing around here

you've done an excellent job

stewardship schemes seem to have encouraged it

we're coppicing old hedges to get new growth to lay hedge in future

Bloomers

Post by Bloomers » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:52 pm

thanks for all the kind comments,I'm in south notts,close to the leics and lincs borders and there are a few of us around here,making things quite competitive but as long as i've got a bit to do every winter i'm not bothered as i absolutely love the job.been at it about three years but been lucky enough to spend some time with two guys that can really cut,one being a three time national champion.I think you can get £7 per metre if you are in the HLS,and there seems to be more and more being done which can only be a good thing.unfortunately there are a few people about that couldn't cut a hedge to save their life,i was on holiday in norfolk and saw a bit done and like fat hill says it was beyond shite.

Lord Muck

Post by Lord Muck » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:08 pm

I was having an 'off day'.....

Bloomers

Post by Bloomers » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:30 pm

think it was between blakeney and cley.and i didn't see a 360.

Lord Muck

Post by Lord Muck » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:40 pm

They aint got any f***ing hedges up there ! Bloody wind is too strong.

rogerm

Post by rogerm » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:24 pm

1 of our neighbours, on seeing a badly laid hedge would ask "anybody hurt"

implying someone had driven their car over it :oops:

Bloomers

Post by Bloomers » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:16 pm

Here are a few more,sorry they are a bit dark but the sun had just come up.

this stretch is a close up of the bit you can just see at the end of the picture above,as you can see it was a reasonable stretch and quite nice as it hadn't been laid before

don't think i've got anymore to do this year apart from a charity competition for the air ambulance in feb,but you never know!

kipper

Post by kipper » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:29 pm

you have done a top job there, what would be the maintains on the hedge?

Bloomers

Post by Bloomers » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:58 pm

Not much maintainance Kipper,ideally in year two any long bits would be trimmed by hand to give it shape.not a good idea to cut with a tractor mounted hedgetrimmer as they are too brutal.

Removed

Post by Removed » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:57 pm

I think that you can do that is fantastic. It is truly good to see old skills going. I used to make spiles ( stakes ) from lengths, draw knife for the bark, rip saw and a tank with fire under to get the creosote in years ago. But not a bad winter job. I suppose now it is all mechanised.

What camera are you using please. Whatever pictures are so often better than words.

Bloomers

Post by Bloomers » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:42 pm

I'm really interested in all of the woodland crafts,charcoal burning really takes my fancy too.In an ideal world i would like to purchase a big piece of woodland,and manage it properly with things like hazel coppicing,charcoal burning etc i think i could make a small living from it which is enough for me-I can dream i suppose!

The camera i am using is a Canon ixus 70.it cost about £140 and kicks the backside of cameras twice the price,to be honest i havent even set it up properly yet as i don't understand cameras.I would definately recommend it.