Farming Forum UK

A forum for farmers and country-folk worldwide.
It is currently Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:41 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:04 pm 

Got a atlas copco road compressor, it has a 2 cylinder Deutz engine.
It is nearly 30 years old and used for blowing down the combine and the balers.
The problem is that in will not build presser when pumped in to the air line. When the outlet is shut off, it will build presser quickly but as soon as we open the tap it will not maintain presser.
Now as the compressor is at the very bottom of the trailer under all the fitting, I am wondering if it is spending half a day to strip it out to find it is badly worn and can not be repaired.
Any one have an thoughts on it?
Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:15 pm 

kipper wrote:
Got a atlas copco road compressor, it has a 2 cylinder Deutz engine.
It is nearly 30 years old and used for blowing down the combine and the balers.
The problem is that in will not build presser when pumped in to the air line. When the outlet is shut off, it will build presser quickly but as soon as we open the tap it will not maintain presser.
Now as the compressor is at the very bottom of the trailer under all the fitting, I am wondering if it is spending half a day to strip it out to find it is badly worn and can not be repaired.
Any one have an thoughts on it?
Thanks

If the engine is OK, it's worth at least investigating how much work the compressor needs. It might well be worth buying a new (Chinese) compressor to run off the existing engine if the old compressor is totally defunct. Have a look at the existing one though first.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:15 pm 

If it builds pressure, then it builds pressure.
If it won't build pressure when the tap is open then it sounds like the control valve on the compressor unit.
I can't tell you how as I haven't seen the unit but the Broom Wades were a bastard for sticking.

FF might know as he may have played around with some when on Plant gangs.

Kipper - Just found this:

there is a valve which makes the compressor run in 'loaded' or 'unloaded' condition. It is called the 'inlet valve' or 'unloading valve' and I have created a page with more info about it here: http://www.air-compressor-guide.com/air ... valve.html

The inlet valve sits on top of the screw element and opens and closes the air supply to the compressor.

In your case, it seems it won't open anymore. It could be that the inlet valve itself is stuck is closed position. But most of the time with this type of problem, the problem is with the control system.

The inlet valve is opened and closed by pressure from the separator vessel. You will see 1 flexible hose run from the top of the separator vessel to the inlet valve.

The valve is controlled by a solenoid valve (small magnetic valve that opens and closes small valve). When the solenoid is open, compressed air opens the inlet valve through a piston. When the solenoid is closed, the inlet valve also closes.

The solenoid needs electrical power to open. I believe it's 24 Volt in Atlas Copco compressors. The voltage comes from the central controller.

So your problem could be in any one of these components.

Check if there is power going to the solenoid valve (24 volt I believe).

If that is the case, check if the solenoid is opening and closing. I have seen a lot of these valves with so much dirt in them that they just stopped working. Sometimes the problem is in the magnetic coil, which can burn trough sometimes.

If all this is ok, check the flexible hose. It could be plugged with dirt.

Next, check the small control/pilot piston//valve on the side of the big inlet valve.

If all fails, the problem ids probably with the inlet valve itself. Be careful when opening the inlet valve yourself. in older models there is a very powerful compressed spring that can jump in your face. I know a guy that lost a few teeth this way. I recommend not opening the big valve unless you know what you are doing.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:14 pm 

Thanks LM,

That looks like the one, but it is right at the bottom and every thing has to come off to get to it.

Reply to topic 
 [ 4 posts ]