Farming Forum UK

A forum for farmers and country-folk worldwide.
It is currently Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:36 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Taper Roller Bearings
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:05 pm
Posts: 10226
Location: The Zone
We have a Lemken furrow press that got widened and modified by John ages ago. it has been decided that it needs new bearings and I am doing it.

Any road, I have one of the hubs off and got a bearing oot that has no numbers on it, but I think if it give my measurements to our bearing person they can get me the ones I need. Does a 41mm shaft sound right, or has he made it imperial?

So, I asks the fabricator bloke to have a quick look at it and he said to make sure I grease the bearings properly. I was going to clean all the old gunk out, smoother the new bearings in grease and pump loads of grease in via the grease nipple. He says I have to put the bearing wide side down on the bench and push grease between the inner part and the bearings. Is this necessary?

_________________
keep honking, I'm reloading


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:00 pm
Posts: 1244
I used to do just as you where planning on doing. I used to be fitting them to the Opel wheels on are standen tornado beet machine, plaster plenty grease on fit everything back together spin Opel wheel and grease again tho nipple.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:58 pm
Posts: 1075
you can usually suss out a bearing number from the charts on here , digital micrometer is your friend here 8)
http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/Taper- ... index.html
I don't think 41 mm would be a common size , probably imperial
I usually do as you say , put a good wipe of grease on the rollers and fill hub with the grease gun , works for me


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 09, 2009 11:59 pm
Posts: 1576
Location: Workshop- where else?
I have a couple of Dormer fractional to metric conversion charts in the workshop to squint at. So being home googling "fractional to metric conversion chart" produced this-

http://www.hamuniverse.com/antfrac.html


1-5/8" = 1.6250" = 41.2750mm


Defender looks to be right, probably imperial.

Rule of thumb with greasing bearings- the faster they spin the less grease you require- it will only get blown out if its too much. In your case press bearings = as much as possible. Easiest way to pack them is to get a keg of grease and just use a handful of grease using the palm to push and scrape grease into both sides of the cage.

FYi- For trailer wheel bearings running at more moderate speeds than your press, I pack the cone(bit with the rollers) cage 100% full, smear a bit round the outside of the cage & rollers, the cup(outer bit) gets a light covering so there is no chance of metal-metal contact. Install hub seal- if old exposed lip type- light film of grease, bung on hub/wheel, repeat with the outer bearing and then fit washer & nut. I never put grease in the void between the bearings or in the hub cap. Waste of time, overpacking can lead to it getting hot and blowing grease out.

On the other hand for slow moving trailers, implements then pack the whole thing well. For stuff prone to water ingress I use a water resistant aqua grease.

_________________
Best thing about Facebook is the logout button...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:54 pm
Posts: 9332
Location: Location:Location
footsfitter wrote:
I have a couple of Dormer fractional to metric conversion charts in the workshop to squint at. So being home googling "fractional to metric conversion chart" produced this-

http://www.hamuniverse.com/antfrac.html


1-5/8" = 1.6250" = 41.2750mm


Defender looks to be right, probably imperial.

Rule of thumb with greasing bearings- the faster they spin the less grease you require- it will only get blown out if its too much. In your case press bearings = as much as possible. Easiest way to pack them is to get a keg of grease and just use a handful of grease using the palm to push and scrape grease into both sides of the cage.

FYi- For trailer wheel bearings running at more moderate speeds than your press, I pack the cone(bit with the rollers) cage 100% full, smear a bit round the outside of the cage & rollers, the cup(outer bit) gets a light covering so there is no chance of metal-metal contact. Install hub seal- if old exposed lip type- light film of grease, bung on hub/wheel, repeat with the outer bearing and then fit washer & nut. I never put grease in the void between the bearings or in the hub cap. Waste of time, overpacking can lead to it getting hot and blowing grease out.

On the other hand for slow moving trailers, implements then pack the whole thing well. For stuff prone to water ingress I use a water resistant aqua grease.


And a gretol' lump of ham.

_________________
JOB 8Y


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:50 pm
Posts: 11523
Location: Littlehay
The Pretender wrote:
We have a Lemken furrow press that got widened and modified by John ages ago. it has been decided that it needs new bearings and I am doing it.

Any road, I have one of the hubs off and got a bearing oot that has no numbers on it, but I think if it give my measurements to our bearing person they can get me the ones I need. Does a 41mm shaft sound right, or has he made it imperial?

So, I asks the fabricator bloke to have a quick look at it and he said to make sure I grease the bearings properly. I was going to clean all the old gunk out, smoother the new bearings in grease and pump loads of grease in via the grease nipple. He says I have to put the bearing wide side down on the bench and push grease between the inner part and the bearings. Is this necessary?


Absolutely necessary. Gret' ol lump of grease in your palm of your hand. Press edge of bearing into grease until you can see the grease coming out of the other edge of the bearing. Do that all the way round the bearing.

Then clean up!!! :D

_________________
Not good on anatomy, but I know I'm an arsehole


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:33 pm
Posts: 3137
Location: E Herts
Coltheox wrote:
The Pretender wrote:
We have a Lemken furrow press that got widened and modified by John ages ago. it has been decided that it needs new bearings and I am doing it.

Any road, I have one of the hubs off and got a bearing oot that has no numbers on it, but I think if it give my measurements to our bearing person they can get me the ones I need. Does a 41mm shaft sound right, or has he made it imperial?

So, I asks the fabricator bloke to have a quick look at it and he said to make sure I grease the bearings properly. I was going to clean all the old gunk out, smoother the new bearings in grease and pump loads of grease in via the grease nipple. He says I have to put the bearing wide side down on the bench and push grease between the inner part and the bearings. Is this necessary?


Absolutely necessary. Gret' ol lump of grease in your palm of your hand. Press edge of bearing into grease until you can see the grease coming out of the other edge of the bearing. Do that all the way round the bearing.

Then clean up!!! :D



Or, get one of these.



Image

_________________
Hold still, it's nearly in.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:05 pm
Posts: 10226
Location: The Zone
Our bearing supplier is picking up the old bearings and seals and getting us new ones. No identification marks on them and no notes in any of his books.

_________________
keep honking, I'm reloading


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic 
 [ 8 posts ] 
Post new topic 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group Color scheme by ColorizeIt!