Farming Forum UK

A forum for farmers and country-folk worldwide.
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:41 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Chests
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:33 pm 

I have accumulated quite a collection of tools and it's time to do something about storage.

Halfords have, from time to time, their industrial stack chest things like this http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/ ... ol-cabinet on special offer from time to time normally at bank holidays. The welder mans head man has one and I looked at it yesterday and it seems ok. His girlfriend works at a branch the other side of town so can let me know when they have a special offer coming up and he has a trade card and some other card to get a little more discount.

Now, I have quite a bit of Teng stuff, which I am in the main very pleased with, but their similar system is expensive https://www.toolstoday.co.uk/teng-tools ... tc816stack as for snap on :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:

I did wonder about emailing Teng and seeing if they can do me a deal, but doubt they would, I''m hardly a works rally team.

So, what say the panel? Is the Halfords cabinet any good? Ben likes his. I don;t want to spend a grand and need a new washing machine as well.

Post subject: Re: Chests
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:54 pm 

I think the Halfords ones will be fine, depending on exactly what you want: in fact I think virtually all of them from any supplier will be usable. The main thing you get with the expensive ones is ball races in the drawer runners, and there's no doubt that such things are nice. However, the cheaper ones which still allow full drawer extension (like filing cabinets), but rely on greased metal slides, are fine, and I have 4 or 5 different versions of them. You have a branch of Machine Mart in Sarfend, and they have a big range, so I suggest you go and look at them to see the differences between cheaper and more expensive ones, even if you end up buying from Halfords.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:11 pm 

I have a larger roller cabinet, not top of the line by any means. Made in Canada, not China however.

One thing I would change on mine is that the drawers do not fully extend, there is about two inches in the back that is hard to access. They are bearing guides, and when they get heavy I think that is important.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:18 pm 

RGSP wrote:
I think the Halfords ones will be fine, depending on exactly what you want: in fact I think virtually all of them from any supplier will be usable. The main thing you get with the expensive ones is ball races in the drawer runners, and there's no doubt that such things are nice. However, the cheaper ones which still allow full drawer extension (like filing cabinets), but rely on greased metal slides, are fine, and I have 4 or 5 different versions of them. You have a branch of Machine Mart in Sarfend, and they have a big range, so I suggest you go and look at them to see the differences between cheaper and more expensive ones, even if you end up buying from Halfords.

The Halfords ones have ball races and slide in and out nicely and some kind of mechanism to stop the draws sliding open. With the good warranty they seem to have look stupendous value, but I'll have another look in Machine Mart.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:19 pm 

McFarmer wrote:
I have a larger roller cabinet, not top of the line by any means. Made in Canada, not China however.

One thing I would change on mine is that the drawers do not fully extend, there is about two inches in the back that is hard to access. They are bearing guides, and when they get heavy I think that is important.

I will have a look how far out the draw slide.

With the Teng cabinets, some of the Teng sets have a nice system where the boxes you buy them in all fit in the draw. This sounds nice, but not worth the extra money really.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:08 pm 

Machine Mart, Clarke Contractor + or HD.
Best you'll get for the money and one of the strongest on the market.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:15 pm 

My bro has that drawer set in the link with a smaller 4 drawer chest on top and I have a 4 drawer chest in my van can't fault them both good but Halford's are pricey unless there's an offer on.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:16 pm 

Lord Muck wrote:

Is there much difference between the HD and Contractor? I see they have a special offer on, are these regular or a one off? Not lookng to buy straight away, so time to shop around.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:21 pm 

I have a Clarke HD+ and can recommend it , have a lot of weight in the big drawers and no problems with it . the teng boxes fit in with lots of room to spare

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:39 pm 

Got a full snap-on roll cab at home and a snap-on road chest in the van, fantastic things can't fault em at all.

Yes yes I know, over priced paying for the name etc etc.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:01 pm 

A Chest...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:03 pm 

No help here, but on a recent one of those Brits emigrating to Oz for the lifestyle documentaries a young couple from deepest Cornwall went with their two daughters to WA- just below Perth - by coincidence they went to Rottnest Island the day we did along with the filming crew, having tried to keep out of camera shot we were pleased when it was broadcast recently to see that we escaped the lens. During the programme the couples few worldly goods arrived - they had left most of it here, the lad was keen to get his tools and rollcab so he could move on from the local garage to doing his own thing.

When the lorry dropped off their stuff there was a surprise when it came to the snap-on toolboxes and rollcabs, they were ok but all his tools had been removed and "disposed of " by the Ozzie customs!! I reckon he failed to list all the tools on the paperwork, just putting down toolboxes and customs not having it on the paperwork took them away! When I sent our sons tools out the shippers were strict about paperwork and getting everything right so all eight ex-BMW parts crates with 28KG of tools in each (went as baggage freight) were all listed individually, cleaned and packed. Cost our boy £850 shipping.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:20 pm 

The Pretender wrote:
Lord Muck wrote:

Is there much difference between the HD and Contractor? I see they have a special offer on, are these regular or a one off? Not lookng to buy straight away, so time to shop around.

You want the one with the frame on the outside (The ends have the box section showing so it protects the tinwork) You can stand on the bloody things as a step they are so strong. Lovely rolling draw action etc.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:41 pm 

I'll go for a look at the weekend

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:13 am 

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/halford ... de-2620323 ?
Add promo code WORK15 for extra 15% off

Reply to topic 
 [ 40 posts ]