Farming Forum UK

A forum for farmers and country-folk worldwide.
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:59 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Chests
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:54 pm 

I just wanted a mark on it to make it more easy to recognise. That will be a unique paint dribble, like a finger print 8)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:36 pm 

Lovely lifetime collection of old friends in there Pret . Nice cabinet - I want one
I have a similar assortment of draper ,teng ,and whitworth , even old bike spanners (the sort you cant bear to put away out of reach )Have you a King Dick too?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:49 pm 

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/halford ... 75-2653168

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:53 pm 

Well, I've had this chest a couple of months now. At this stage my verdict is that it has been a revelation, so much easier to find my tools and know what's missing.

The way it locks isn't brilliant due to it not fitting like rifle bolt so I have to jiggle the draws to get them to lock, but not an insurmountable issue.

Had another look at the Halfords boxes. It felt tinnier, but had a nicer draw action. The draws are probably 30% deeper from the handle to the back of them, but shallower from the top of the draw to the bottom. I think the Clarke one beats it on points.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:42 pm 

Reaching the limits of capacity again :roll: Beginning to think I should have bought one of the biggest boxes but could also do with wider draws, so may purchase an additional, wider cabinet.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:46 pm 

The Pretender wrote:
Reaching the limits of capacity again :roll: Beginning to think I should have bought one of the biggest boxes but could also do with wider draws, so may purchase an additional, wider cabinet.

They say bigger chests are better, but not too sure about wider drawers. Although you may have more experience of this with the horse brigade.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:33 pm 

The Pretender wrote:

At this point if you had joined the snap-on, waterloo or Mac-Tools etc brigade you would of been ripe to enter into their spiral where you trade in your current toolbox and step up to a bigger one. Your old one is usually easily sold on by the dealers as there are always keen trainee mechanics on the lookout for them.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:43 am 

footsfitter wrote:
The Pretender wrote:

At this point if you had joined the snap-on, waterloo or Mac-Tools etc brigade you would of been ripe to enter into their spiral where you trade in your current toolbox and step up to a bigger one. Your old one is usually easily sold on by the dealers as there are always keen trainee mechanics on the lookout for them.

What sort of money are they costing to change? I was just going to go to Machine Mart again and get the 36 inch wide one with 5 draws. Or if Iwas feeling flush get a similar sized Beta one.

I've seen a few Snaaaap Orrrrn boxes on various online places second hand that cost the owner 5 figures :o

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:02 pm 

The Pretender wrote:
footsfitter wrote:
The Pretender wrote:

What sort of money are they costing to change? I was just going to go to Machine Mart again and get the 36 inch wide one with 5 draws. Or if Iwas feeling flush get a similar sized Beta one.

I've seen a few Snaaaap Orrrrn boxes on various online places second hand that cost the owner 5 figures :o

The cost is always what your prepared to spend......

I suppose its a bit like having a fendt, once you've stepped up that high on the finance ladder the next steps are not quite so painful?

Ever noticed the Snap-on vans now usually have tail lifts and are twin wheel 3.5-7.5t variants.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:30 pm 

Two chests are better than one big one.

Reply to topic 
 [ 40 posts ]