Tools

Tips, tools, repairs, rebuilds and fabrication.
The Pretender

Tools

Post by The Pretender » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:15 pm

Every time I think I've got all the tools I need, something crops up and something else needs to be bought.

My selection consists of Draper Expert spanners mostly with some Teng and Britool. CK Pliers, screw drivers, Hex keys and a 1/2 drive socket set. Draper 3/4 inch socket set. Teng 1/4 and 3/8ths socket sets and Knipex circlip pliers, probably a few other bits and pieces, you get the idea.

Having had a causal glance at Snap On and Mac it makes me wonder how much better they can be. My Teng 3/8ths drive socket set https://www.amazon.co.uk/Teng-Mr3839-39 ... B0001P0XR4 is about £90 RRP, I got it for about 60 15 years ago and you can get them for 45 now. It's has a beating, but obviously not in use every day and all that's happened is the ratchet finally gave up over winter. I had a look at a Snap On set and it was going to be be over 600 quid for the same pieces and no case. How much better can they be?

Chatting to our digger contractor and he proudly told me he'd spent I think, 180 quid on a set of allen keys. What does a £180 set do that my £18 CK set wont?

Teng, Beta, Britool etc all are DIN tested, so they're going to fit properly and not snap like carrots, or am I wrong?

I had a chat with one of the fitters from Crawfords who said that though he did use Snap On, they were too expensive unless they were on special off and alot of it was you're not a proper fitter unless you use their tools. It looks to me like the same thing with womens cosmetics, in that the more they charge for tools, he more people want them.

what say the panel?
keep honking, I'm reloading

NQIT

Re: Tools

Post by NQIT » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:21 pm

I was changing plough points yesterday and realised the Kamasa ratchet and socket I was using was bought in 1980. I seem to recall it was from Woolworths and would not have been dear. Still works perfectly well. Tin case gave up a long time ago but I reckon I've had my moneys worth. Recently I have bought Halfords Professional handtools when on offer. Reasonable value, good quality and a lifetime guarantee. Never needed the guarantee and they get plenty of hard use.
Here we go again, hold tight.

McFarmer

Post by McFarmer » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:03 pm

No idea if you can get SK tools there but they are an old brand that has been bought and are making a come-back in the middle of the road tools.

Anything Snap-on can be bought as Williams, it's their industrial line. Same quality, less bling.

Wright tools are another quality line for a medium price.

I have found some discount tool sellers, good brands that may be old models, discontinued, blemished, whatever. Generally half of retail or so.

I have in the last few years gone to more high quality tools, I don't do it for a living, just what needs doing. There is a certain satisfaction working with tools of that quality, especially if you can buy them right. I have no problem buying good used tools when they come along.
Measure twice, cut once, curse, repeat.

footsfitter

Post by footsfitter » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:32 pm

NQIT wrote:I was changing plough points yesterday and realised the Kamasa ratchet and socket I was using was bought in 1980. I seem to recall it was from Woolworths and would not have been dear. Still works perfectly well. Tin case gave up a long time ago but I reckon I've had my moneys worth. Recently I have bought Halfords Professional handtools when on offer. Reasonable value, good quality and a lifetime guarantee. Never needed the guarantee and they get plenty of hard use.
In 1971 Mum & my eldest brother clubbed together and bought me one of these for a 13th birthday present-

Still in use daily, the ratchets long gone and I think there are more than 2/3rd's of the metric, Whitworth and AF sockets left, about 3-4 popular ones of each group have been replaced. Gedore is a very underrated brand IMO, only yesterday a replacement 19mm XL combi spanner (loaned, never to return :evil: ) and a 50mm open ended single spanner for a particular job arrived. Hunted around on the web and got them at less than 50% list

I have a few Snap-on spanners and other tools but getting married put the end to that but what i did have covered the main AF sizes- metric was limited to the Scania low-loader tractor unit! AF, Whit & BSF were the popular sizes. Biggest problem with shiny spanners is they attract magpies :wink:
Best thing about Facebook is the logout button...

Lord Muck

Post by Lord Muck » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:35 pm

Gedore are fantastic tools.
It's a lovely day

McFarmer

Post by McFarmer » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:50 pm

Gedore are becoming popular here.

footsfitter

Post by footsfitter » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:53 pm

Lord Muck wrote:Gedore are fantastic tools.

I'm puzzled to guess which lobe was responsible for the way you used the word "tools" :o
Best thing about Facebook is the logout button...

Bloomers

Post by Bloomers » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:05 pm

Halfords professional or Clarke spanners/sockets and the like I use personally and at work its snap on stuff mostly but it is ancient then a mix of allsorts.Like you say half the time you are paying for the name.

The other day I was hunting for some stuff at work and came across a sealey electric grease gun that had hardly been used and then shoved behind some shelves.It's a few years old but I was after one anyway so commandeered it.

Also after watching a YouTube vid a few weeks back of some dodgy looking bloke greasing a jcb with one of those clip on grease gun ends I managed to get hold of one of those as well
Taxi Willy,he's a hero...

Tel

Post by Tel » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:30 am

Tools are personal.
You can buy a £50 wreck of a car from the paper and use it to drive from A to B you can also do the same trip in a Rolls Royce.
In use every day getting abuse and use then you buy snap on. And be proud of your collection and to be fair it's an asset to be past on to children, I hope to inherit my fathers set up from his days on aircraft engineering.
You can use other stuff I personally have Teng stuff, with the most often used bits have been upgraded to snapon as they broke or wore out.
Today eBay is your friend and there are some great mechanics sets for sale on there.

People who don't understand it don't use there stuff 10 hrs a day everyday.

But let's face it you drive a Honda jazz

The Pretender

Post by The Pretender » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:52 pm

Tel wrote:
Which is utterly reliable. More so than the £100,000 + each cars in the garage at work. In fact, I'd rather push the Jazz than drive one of those, not that it would ever need pushing.

The Pretender

Post by The Pretender » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:08 pm

Tel wrote:Tools are personal.
You can buy a £50 wreck of a car from the paper and use it to drive from A to B you can also do the same trip in a Rolls Royce.
In use every day getting abuse and use then you buy snap on. And be proud of your collection and to be fair it's an asset to be past on to children, I hope to inherit my fathers set up from his days on aircraft engineering.
You can use other stuff I personally have Teng stuff, with the most often used bits have been upgraded to snapon as they broke or wore out.
Today eBay is your friend and there are some great mechanics sets for sale on there.

People who don't understand it don't use there stuff 10 hrs a day everyday.

Just to add, as you brought my car up.

My little car is up there with the best machines I've ever used at doing what it was designed for, they absolutely nailed it with this car. Totally and utterly fit for purpose, it does everything a small should. If you spend 6 figures on a new Porsche and decide to leave it for a few weeks, you'll need a battery charger to start the bastard. I can leave my bike virtually indefinitely and it starts, first time, every time.

So, to bring this back to tools, when a £9,000 car is arguably a better product that a £100,000 car, in that it does actually work, if a £400 socket set actually better than a £60 socket set. Not, the posher one feels nicer, or has more kudos, is it actually a better product?

Raggy

Post by Raggy » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:24 pm

The Pretender wrote: So, to bring this back to tools, when a £9,000 car is arguably a better product that a £100,000 car, in that it does actually work, if a £400 socket set actually better than a £60 socket set. Not, the posher one feels nicer, or has more kudos, is it actually a better product?
Mrs R works for a tools retailer. They supply the AA, Snap-on and many others. Quite a few have the same tools. Just with different branding. It's a bit like the Ford Galaxy, Seat Alhambra, and the third people carrier I can't remember right now. All the same vehicle. Just a different badge on the front.
If you get a good name, then you can charge more and people think they are getting a better quality product.
I've not got Snap-On. :wink:
Fasten your seatbelts. We're off.

McFarmer

Post by McFarmer » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:25 pm

Pleasure takes many forms, and isn't that the point ?

RGSP

Post by RGSP » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:16 pm

McFarmer wrote:Pleasure takes many forms, and isn't that the point ?
Please DON'T tell us more Mac, or Col may explode, and I live downwind of him...

Frankly, regarding tools, if you avoid the really obviously cheap and nasty ones, I think most are fine these days, and are much more likely to fail by being lost than any other cause. If I mention the phrase "tool snobbery", I'm sure it will give someone a lead.

dust n diesel

Post by dust n diesel » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:34 pm

Brother went snap on daft in his youth, probably still has circa 15K worth of the stuff kicking about.

Now used Halfords professional stuff and other bits n bobs.

He can turn up with a small manageable tool box and strip down, and re fit a 50 litre V12 engine, often having to remove all the ancillary pumps, gearboxes and drives off the back of the bell housing and front end of the crank.

Youn get some young lads at Ag places turn up with no payload left in their van due to the Great Wall of tools that greet you when you open the side door.

But then inform you they have to get the tractor taken in to the workshop because theres a filter cross threaded that wont come off. :lol:
Please sir, can I have some more?