Farming Forum UK

A forum for farmers and country-folk worldwide.
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:15 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tools
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:42 pm 

I have Snap-Off tools.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:59 pm 

Flintstone wrote:
I have Snap-Off tools.

Ahahahaha,Ahahahaha, oh god, stop. Snap-off, Ahahahaha, I get it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:02 pm 

My guilty pleaure - tool buying.
My advice for what its worth is only buy decent tools if
a. you can control who has access to them (too many students etc. will grab anything without really caring for them)
b. they are not in your tractor toolbox (too easy to mislay in the field when you are rushing)

I personally only buy US tools because thats my little hobby mostly bought on E Bay and brought back in my uncles suitcase.
Proto, Snap On, SK, Cornwell,Par-x and Matco mostly at prices more in my line.

However for a workshop box, in the abscence of any UK made tools I dont think you can go wrong with EU made tools for decent brands at reasonable prices.
Wera screwdrivers ratchets and sockets are top notch
As mentioned Gedore stuff is great
Knipex for pliers
Bahco for adjustables
And IMO the single best tool deal out there.
http://www.tbs-aachen.de/Stahlwille_spe ... _55815.htm or at least it was tuntil f****ing Brexit.
Great set with long beams and very few unnecessary sizes. Every bit as good as Snap On and much more friendly on the wallet.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:15 am 

Sidchrome are the tool for me as far as spanners and sockets go then Repco are the next best if not as good

I am so stupid I will pay more for secondhand old Sidchrome Australian made tools than new tools of other brands they are tough as
I bought a Sidchrome tool box (only a small one) when I was 16 or 17 as apprentice

As the add used to say "you cant hand a man a granda spanner"

Paul

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:22 am 

Paul there is nothing wrong with buying good old stuff. Old Britool is top quality and was my first tool brand as a 21st birthday present.
I think Sidchrome are now part of the same group as Facom.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:32 pm 

ROLAND wrote:
Paul there is nothing wrong with buying good old stuff. Old Britool is top quality and was my first tool brand as a 21st birthday present.

Yes and Im buying a known tool as in I know they are tough and bullet proof
Sidchrome were that good they came with a life time unconditional guarantee, you would just walk in to the shop with something that has obviuos signs of abuse and they would just change it over no questions asked

Stanly bought them out and the rot set in pretty quick even Stanly was good once but are just rubbish these days

Paul

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:52 pm 

ROLAND wrote:

Bedford spanners used to leave lasting impression, especially when the chrome peeled while in use.................... :cry:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:22 am 

I have some Bedford with what looks like very thick chrome. Does it peel away quite easily ?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:31 pm 

ROLAND wrote:
I have some Bedford with what looks like very thick chrome. Does it peel away quite easily ?

I think thats some of the problem as well as it doesn't seem to be "stuck" to the spanner very well after the plating process.

The double open ended with the serious missing chrome was the one that lifted in the cold one day, didn't suss too much until I spotted my red hand and spanner- a bit like countersunk plough bolt and an air gun- not too deep but plenty of blood running.

The last couple of pics are of a Britool spanner and you can see the chrome is thinner but it is part of the base metal and has just worn down smoothly.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:51 am 

I used to have a couple of sets of "Williams' Superslim" open enders, one set Whitworth and one AF. I'm sure Peter is old enough to remember them, and they weren't bad tools, and black rather than plated. Sadly the ******* &&&&&& decided they like them as well, and they disappeared many years ago. Really high tensile steels capable of being forged don't take plating all that well, but it seems that all spanners have to be silver coloured these days, except for the bloodstains of course.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:46 am 

RGSP wrote:
I used to have a couple of sets of "Williams' Superslim" open enders, one set Whitworth and one AF. I'm sure Peter is old enough to remember them, and they weren't bad tools, and black rather than plated. Sadly the ******* &&&&&& decided they like them as well, and they disappeared many years ago. Really high tensile steels capable of being forged don't take plating all that well, but it seems that all spanners have to be silver coloured these days, except for the bloodstains of course.

EU Directive 4/1/17 I'm afraid, RGSP.

'All hand held spanners of whatever size and calibration shall be chromium plated to make them easier to locate in dark surroundings'

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:05 pm 

Coltheox wrote:
RGSP wrote:

EU Directive 4/1/17 I'm afraid, RGSP.

'All hand held spanners of whatever size and calibration shall be chromium plated to make them easier to locate in dark surroundings'

The irony of that statement being 'The only country fucking stupid enough to Gold-Plate every single regulation was the UK'....

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:26 pm 

RGSP wrote:

Cheers Dick, I keep thinking I might not quite look nearly 3 score years, but this winter my joints and muscles are beginning to feel like they have reached their BBF date :roll:

Superslims were as you say, thinner in the body but a lot wider in the jaws and with the bodys sort of "dished" I section quite light but reasonably strong.

Snap-on used to sell a lot of tools in black as they reckoned in the bumph that the plating process made them slightly weaker. Looking round the Ex-WD tool places used to be interesting in the 70-80s for all the special bronze tooling the navy mostly, Raf & army used to flog off. Could never of seen a bronze 14lb sledge hammer lasting long both in wear and honesty

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:47 pm 

Saw this video last week on why not to by Snap On https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssk1qShAqxQ seemed like a decent argument

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 12:31 pm 

The Pretender wrote:
Saw this video last week on why not to by Snap On https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssk1qShAqxQ seemed like a decent argument

He does dribble on a bit, I had to keep fast forwarding to try to get to the point(s), but I'm wondering why he was showing us his latest Snap-On purchases laid out on his Snap-On table while telling us not to buy Snap-On products?

Reply to topic 
 [ 46 posts ]