Farming Forum UK

A forum for farmers and country-folk worldwide.
It is currently Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:45 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Black grass
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:46 pm
Posts: 7041
Location: Eat Anglia
Arable farming in East Anglia is doomed....at least by the evidence I have seen along the A12 today. Too many years of wheat/wheat / rape, too little good husbandry , too little care for the land, and lack of investment in development of new chemicals.

I have seen several whole fields of wheat, in ear, sprayed off with roundup. Many part fields. Some wheats are completely choked with the stuff, in others there is blackgrass where you would never expect to see it eg late drilled wheat after beet.

Another few years, and winter wheat will be impossible to grow other than as an occasional break crop.
Doomed, I tell ye :cry:

_________________
I'm nearly there......but not quite


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Black grass
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:33 pm
Posts: 3600
Location: E Herts
Here's your chance then, find a use for Black Grass. You'll be a miyyionairre.

_________________
Hold still, it's nearly in.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Black grass
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:05 am
Posts: 11534
Location: On the beach!
I blame the ban on stubble burning. What could have been controlled with a single Swan Vestas, now cant be controlled with ££££ worth of chemicals.

_________________
And plenty in the tank.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Black grass
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:50 pm
Posts: 11847
Location: Littlehay
Raggy wrote:
I blame the ban on stubble burning. What could have been controlled with a single Swan Vestas, now cant be controlled with ££££ worth of chemicals.



Got it in one!!!

_________________
Full English Brexit, please!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Black grass
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:21 pm
Posts: 24272
Coltheox wrote:
Raggy wrote:
I blame the ban on stubble burning. What could have been controlled with a single Swan Vestas, now cant be controlled with ££££ worth of chemicals.



Got it in one!!!

A big Ffuking +1 to that ! 8)

_________________
Lovely, lovely, lovely....hahahahaha


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Black grass
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:05 am
Posts: 11534
Location: On the beach!
Lord Muck wrote:
Coltheox wrote:
Raggy wrote:
I blame the ban on stubble burning. What could have been controlled with a single Swan Vestas, now cant be controlled with ££££ worth of chemicals.



Got it in one!!!

A big Ffuking +1 to that ! 8)


If the public knew what chemicals are thrown at blackgrass. Which do you think they would prefer stubble burning or Atlantis / Kerb?

_________________
And plenty in the tank.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Black grass
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:46 pm
Posts: 7041
Location: Eat Anglia
Does Atlantis/kerb make their washing dirty?

Oh, bollocks, no one hangs their washing out any more. It all goes in the tumble shrinker. Hang the expense.

Do you really think burning stubble would be allowed again? If glyphosate is banned, maybe there won't be another option.

Slugs too. Burning would ffuk 'em

_________________
I'm nearly there......but not quite


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Black grass
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:33 pm
Posts: 3600
Location: E Herts
Lord Muck wrote:
Coltheox wrote:
Raggy wrote:
I blame the ban on stubble burning. What could have been controlled with a single Swan Vestas, now cant be controlled with ££££ worth of chemicals.



Got it in one!!!

A big Ffuking +1 to that ! 8)



LM votes for a flash up. Who'd have thought it? :D

_________________
Hold still, it's nearly in.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Black grass
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:05 pm
Posts: 10521
Location: The Zone
Plenty of black grass in Germany, it's just better organised and more efficient

_________________
keep honking, I'm reloading


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Black grass
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:05 am
Posts: 3883
I have a cunning plan: Grow a very shortened WW stem and then run through the crop with some plastic strimmers attached to sprayer booms just as the BG is heading up. Will it work? :D


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Black grass
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:45 pm
Posts: 3165
essexpete wrote:
I have a cunning plan: Grow a very shortened WW stem and then run through the crop with some plastic strimmers attached to sprayer booms just as the BG is heading up. Will it work? :D

No
In Alford the neighbours had a weed surfer, a mower designed to cut weed beet stem from a sugar beet crop.
BG will always come out the top so they cut it as it came out the crop, then had to repeat it every couple of weeks as it kept coming back, with each flush of heads lower and lower, until they took the top off the wheat ears.

With the top removed and a wheeling every 6 metres the crops looked a picture of health.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Black grass
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:36 pm
Posts: 7172
Location: Megawatt valley
Been starting to get on the arable areas the last couple of weeks mowing banks and there is an absolute lorry load of BG about.I knew there was a bit looking at fields next to roads etc but when you get off the beaten track into the sticks it really becomes apparent.

_________________
Taxi Willy,he's a hero...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Black grass
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:05 am
Posts: 11534
Location: On the beach!
Hypothetically ( for now at least), if a manufacturer came up with the spray that tackled Blackgrass 100%, then what would we be willing to pay?
Obviously the chemical company would make tens or even hundreds of millions to repay some of the massive investment they would have spent. But would we pay £50/ac? £100ac? More?

_________________
And plenty in the tank.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Black grass
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:13 pm
Posts: 3725
Location: Norfolk
Raggy wrote:
Hypothetically ( for now at least), if a manufacturer came up with the spray that tackled Blackgrass 100%, then what would we be willing to pay?
Obviously the chemical company would make tens or even hundreds of millions to repay some of the massive investment they would have spent. But would we pay £50/ac? £100ac? More?

£100 an acre but, farmers would cut the rates and after a few years resistance would appear and we're back to square 1.

_________________
Here we go again, hold tight.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Black grass
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:05 am
Posts: 11534
Location: On the beach!
NQIT wrote:
Raggy wrote:
Hypothetically ( for now at least), if a manufacturer came up with the spray that tackled Blackgrass 100%, then what would we be willing to pay?
Obviously the chemical company would make tens or even hundreds of millions to repay some of the massive investment they would have spent. But would we pay £50/ac? £100ac? More?

£100 an acre but, farmers would cut the rates and after a few years resistance would appear and we're back to square 1.


I have little doubt that you are right. On both counts.

_________________
And plenty in the tank.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic 
 [ 34 posts ] 
Post new topic  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group Color scheme by ColorizeIt!