Farming Forum UK

A forum for farmers and country-folk worldwide.
It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:48 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Rat Control
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:12 pm 

I've been having rat troubles for perhaps the last twelve months, and I'm struggling to get on top of them with the control.
The bastards are living (mostly) under the concrete floor to my fertiliser store. But are getting into the Grain Store about twenty yards away at night time.
They are taking bait blocks. But what I want to know is does anyone have experience with either a/ live traps, b/ killing traps, or c/ those sticky pad things.
I want to see dead rats to know that I'm succeeding in killing the things.

Post subject: Re: Rat Control
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:36 pm 

Used glue pads for mice and they work well but did feel a bit sorry for the little sods as its not a nice way to go.Having said that I hate rats with a passion so go for it.

Also many moons ago caught some big rats in a cage trap then shot them with a .410-it worked but doesn't do much for the cage....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:06 pm 

We have been thru several major rat plagues over the years and the only thing I have found that works any good is Racumin
The rats turn them selves inside out for it and we just pick up all the bodies each morning
This stuff will kill dogs if they eat the bait but secondary kills that we experienced never lost a dog or found dead birds and the like around
We would go thru kilos of this each night while the plague is at its worst but mind you we would pick up 20 or 30 dead rats each morning
The other good thing about this poison is the rats go out to find a drink after eating the bait so you find the rats and they dont get stuck in walls etc stinking up the place

Attachment:
p-14386-racumin_paste_2kg.png
p-14386-racumin_paste_2kg.png [ 239.69 KiB | Viewed 163 times ]

Paul

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:08 pm 

if you have a spot where they are getting under the floor could you run a petrol engine exhaust in to the hole
A pipe in and sealed round and run for an hour may thin them out a bit . have seen them move away completely as the smell lingers
Just don't send them north

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:10 pm 

Paul Griffiths wrote:
We have been thru several major rat plagues over the years and the only thing I have found that works any good is Racumin
The rats turn them selves inside out for it and we just pick up all the bodies each morning
This stuff will kill dogs if they eat the bait but secondary kills that we experienced never lost a dog or found dead birds and the like around
We would go thru kilos of this each night while the plague is at its worst but mind you we would pick up 20 or 30 dead rats each morning
The other good thing about this poison is the rats go out to find a drink after eating the bait so you find the rats and they dont get stuck in walls etc stinking up the place

Attachment:
p-14386-racumin_paste_2kg.png

Paul

Not seen that one here I don't think
sounds like we need some though

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:16 pm 

defender wrote:
if you have a spot where they are getting under the floor could you run a petrol engine exhaust in to the hole
A pipe in and sealed round and run for an hour may thin them out a bit . have seen them move away completely as the smell lingers

I think the runs may be so "joined-up" that it could be like a map of the London Underground under the concrete. :(

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:34 pm 

Raggy wrote:
defender wrote:

I think the runs may be so "joined-up" that it could be like a map of the London Underground under the concrete. :(

With your qualifications navigating that should be a piece of wee................ :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:42 pm 

The old boys who were here back in 81 when I started used to recall when it was bad hearing first and then seeing mass plagues sweeping over the ground :o

Their answer back then apparently was to put liquid Zinc in a bucket of blood and offal stood in the middle of a building. Shut the doors and come back in the morning to a scene of mass corpses not having made it far from the bucket. Head counts in the 100's were said to be common :o :o

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:43 pm 

Do you do it yourself rather than use a contractor?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:04 pm 

I have used sticky pads for mice and they are a tool in the box, certainly wouldn't rely on them.

Get a lot of Slaymore or Neosorexa Gold and pour it down the holes as you know where they live. It takes a few days for them to get used to it, but once they do, they scoff it down. You'll need to check they have enough several times a day.

Once they are gone, make up some really runny cement and pour it down the holes, probably mixing some broken glass in there too.

They follow scent trails, so if you can, get the pressure washer out with some heat and detergent and try to clean up where they are running.

You've probably done most of this

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:26 pm 

Those large white plastic Snap traps are brilliant.
The bastards just cannot resist peanut butter and it kills them dead instantly.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j ... 5515161829

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:16 am 

defender wrote:

They used to try this with rabbits but there was to many spots the fumes wouldnt flow to
they have tried all sorts of stuff I guess a lot depend on how bad they are
In plagues they sort of just hang around until disease goes threw them and the trick is to try and start that disease by having enough dead bodies lying about
Pongs a bit but it does work

check this video out this is the type of thing Im talking about but ours was huge rats as big as my shoes everywhere in all the feeders motor bikes tractors trucks air cleaner hoses eaten thru each nigh lights to the cow she eaten out over night
It feels like the end of the world is coming and dust storms every single day the sky turns red and blows and blows

sorry getting off track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWVw-j8eYSk

Paul

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:14 am 

Have you tried using a 'Rodenator'? Stick it down the hole, pump it full of gas, and then pull the trigger and 'Boom'!!!!!

Only problem is that you might blow up your fertiliser store..................... :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:04 am 

JM wrote:
Do you do it yourself rather than use a contractor?

Yes.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:06 am 

Coltheox wrote:
Have you tried using a 'Rodenator'? Stick it down the hole, pump it full of gas, and then pull the trigger and 'Boom'!!!!!

Only problem is that you might blow up your fertiliser store..................... :roll:

Including lifting the concrete floor.

Reply to topic 
 [ 26 posts ]