Harvest 2017

All issues regarding arable farming.
NQIT
Posts: 5470
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:13 pm
Location: Norfolk

Re: Harvest 2017

Post by NQIT » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:30 pm

Raggy wrote:18.7% at 10.30. Down to 14.2% by tea time. :)
That's another year done. It's all in the shed. With a three day weekend coming up. :D
Bloody hell! That was close. You nearly had to work a bank holiday weekend. At least you will have time to study the brochures and think of those poor hard working spray contractors out there all weekend to keep their customers happy. :lol:
Here we go again, hold tight.

JM
Posts: 3395
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 1:50 pm
Location: St Davids

Re: Harvest 2017

Post by JM » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:30 pm

Started on my spring barley today, 19% and had to pack in soon after 7 as it was so dead, quite glad we cant cut tomorrow as its the last cricket match of the season, priorities as they say. 8) :roll:
Just a Pembrokeshire twat.

User avatar
RGSP
Posts: 6243
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:02 pm
Location: south Suffolk

Re: Harvest 2017

Post by RGSP » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:49 am

Everyone within 2 or 3 miles of us is now finished, although an old boy with a 10' Matador was still cutting yesterday evening about 2.5 miles away. He gets off the combine and drives his own grain trailer home, so it's a slow business, but it gets done, and he's happy.

I congratulated one of my two farming neighbours on finishing (yesterday at the Friday pub meeting), and mentioned that this year my sinuses and eyes had both been painful from harvest dust, and he said that both he and his wife had suffered from very sore eyes this year. It hadn't occured to him that the sore eyes were a result of harvest, because it doesn't happen most years: I think the particular brand(s) of mould spores this year are unusually allergenic.

JM
Posts: 3395
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 1:50 pm
Location: St Davids

Re: Harvest 2017

Post by JM » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:50 am

RGSP wrote:Everyone within 2 or 3 miles of us is now finished, although an old boy with a 10' Matador was still cutting yesterday evening about 2.5 miles away. He gets off the combine and drives his own grain trailer home, so it's a slow business, but it gets done, and he's happy.

I congratulated one of my two farming neighbours on finishing (yesterday at the Friday pub meeting), and mentioned that this year my sinuses and eyes had both been painful from harvest dust, and he said that both he and his wife had suffered from very sore eyes this year. It hadn't occured to him that the sore eyes were a result of harvest, because it doesn't happen most years: I think the particular brand(s) of mould spores this year are unusually allergenic.
I hate barley dust, quite often end up on anti hystamine :? tablets to try and help with the itching.
Just a Pembrokeshire twat.

User avatar
Raggy
Posts: 12081
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:05 am
Location: On the beach!

Re: Harvest 2017

Post by Raggy » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:40 pm

NQIT wrote:
Raggy wrote:18.7% at 10.30. Down to 14.2% by tea time. :)
That's another year done. It's all in the shed. With a three day weekend coming up. :D
Bloody hell! That was close. You nearly had to work a bank holiday weekend. At least you will have time to study the brochures and think of those poor hard working spray contractors out there all weekend to keep their customers happy. :lol:
I told you that you should have taken my old Agribuggy off my hands instead of the breakdown special you bought from Devon. Then you could have the weekend off like JM and myself. :drunken: :lol:
Fasten your seatbelts. We're off.

NQIT
Posts: 5470
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:13 pm
Location: Norfolk

Re: Harvest 2017

Post by NQIT » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:10 pm

Raggy wrote:
NQIT wrote:
Raggy wrote:18.7% at 10.30. Down to 14.2% by tea time. :)
That's another year done. It's all in the shed. With a three day weekend coming up. :D
Bloody hell! That was close. You nearly had to work a bank holiday weekend. At least you will have time to study the brochures and think of those poor hard working spray contractors out there all weekend to keep their customers happy. :lol:
I told you that you should have taken my old Agribuggy off my hands instead of the breakdown special you bought from Devon. Then you could have the weekend off like JM and myself. :drunken: :lol:
Unfortunately, I have to graft for a living instead of sitting back and watching the wind blow while I browse the travel brochures. :D
Windy Miller would have gone bust here last two days. :lol: :lol:
Here we go again, hold tight.

User avatar
Fat Hill
Posts: 7113
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:46 pm
Location: Eat Anglia

Re: Harvest 2017

Post by Fat Hill » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:28 pm

Ho NQIT, tell me this. I'm up in your neck of the woods currently, and spend most of my time driving from Burnham Deepdale to Wells, and elsewhere. Between Bunrham Overy and Holkham, they have left a strip of un harvested wheat around at least 3 fields- not next to the headland, but at least one header width in from the headland bout. Please tell me why they have done this, as the guide at Holkham didn't have a clue.
Also, it strikes me that no matter what old Coke of Norfolk came up with by way of rotation, that is still some piss poor dusty, stoney, shitey land. The maize looks awl right but the sugar beet looks poooor. Don't know what's their spuds are like, coz they was all sprayed off. I should think they're dry though.
I'm nearly there......but not quite

User avatar
Fat Hill
Posts: 7113
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:46 pm
Location: Eat Anglia

Re: Harvest 2017

Post by Fat Hill » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:30 pm

And another thing. Why don't they get the ffuking bales out of their fields while they're dry? I'd have a blood word with that there Paul Hoveson. Tell him to pull his finger out
I'm nearly there......but not quite

NQIT
Posts: 5470
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:13 pm
Location: Norfolk

Re: Harvest 2017

Post by NQIT » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:53 pm

Fat Hill wrote:Ho NQIT, tell me this. I'm up in your neck of the woods currently, and spend most of my time driving from Burnham Deepdale to Wells, and elsewhere. Between Bunrham Overy and Holkham, they have left a strip of un harvested wheat around at least 3 fields- not next to the headland, but at least one header width in from the headland bout. Please tell me why they have done this, as the guide at Holkham didn't have a clue.
Also, it strikes me that no matter what old Coke of Norfolk came up with by way of rotation, that is still some piss poor dusty, stoney, shitey land. The maize looks awl right but the sugar beet looks poooor. Don't know what's their spuds are like, coz they was all sprayed off. I should think they're dry though.
I was troshin down that same road this morning and thought it was odd. Mind you, Hancock is an odd one. Tenant farmer so can do as he pleases. My theory is they had a lot of green in the headland tramline and just sprayed that off and are waiting for it to work? Sugar beet is flagging in the heat. Maize looked crap until a month ago. Potatoes are mostly salads and yields are down. Get ready to pay more in the shops. :D
Here we go again, hold tight.

graybo
Posts: 7858
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 11:21 pm
Location: beds

Re: Harvest 2017

Post by graybo » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:18 pm

FFuk yer ol' salad spuds.
No one can steer like this Ffuker.

User avatar
Fat Hill
Posts: 7113
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:46 pm
Location: Eat Anglia

Re: Harvest 2017

Post by Fat Hill » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:00 pm

graybo wrote:FFuk yer ol' salad spuds.
I was thinking that. Maris piper. That is all.

I'll have some Maris bard early on, but salad potatoes. Cuh. You can keep them
I'm nearly there......but not quite

NQIT
Posts: 5470
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:13 pm
Location: Norfolk

Re: Harvest 2017

Post by NQIT » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:15 pm

Fat Hill wrote:
graybo wrote:FFuk yer ol' salad spuds.
I was thinking that. Maris piper. That is all.

I'll have some Maris bard early on, but salad potatoes. Cuh. You can keep them
Piper are good for chips or roasting but no good for boiling. Maris Peer are my salad of choice or Piccolo. Had some Marabel tonight that I have been spraying for Bartletts. Lovely creamy mash. Only had 12 tubers as a test but will be going back with my fork and bags, unless I wait for the harvester to arrive and then bowl up with a tonne box on the teleporter. :D
Also started killing off some Rooster at Holkham today. They will be on the hit list for a bag or two in the garage.
Don't seem to buy many potatoes nowadays. :D
Here we go again, hold tight.

JM
Posts: 3395
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 1:50 pm
Location: St Davids

Re: Harvest 2017

Post by JM » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:29 pm

We had some Bordeaux pots tonight, they were nice, very waxy texture.
Just a Pembrokeshire twat.

The Pretender
Posts: 12019
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:05 pm
Location: The Zone
Contact:

Re: Harvest 2017

Post by The Pretender » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:43 pm

Fat Hill wrote:
graybo wrote:FFuk yer ol' salad spuds.
I was thinking that. Maris piper. That is all.

I'll have some Maris bard early on, but salad potatoes. Cuh. You can keep them
Piper paid my wages for 15 years, but they were a pain in the arse. They're only any good for chips and roasting, as NQIT says.

They are difficult to desicate, the volunteers stay in the ground for ever, the tops are vigourous and thick, the slugs like them and they bruise to buggery.
keep honking, I'm reloading

JM
Posts: 3395
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 1:50 pm
Location: St Davids

Re: Harvest 2017

Post by JM » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:32 pm

The Pretender wrote:
Fat Hill wrote:
graybo wrote:FFuk yer ol' salad spuds.
I was thinking that. Maris piper. That is all.

I'll have some Maris bard early on, but salad potatoes. Cuh. You can keep them
Piper paid my wages for 15 years, but they were a pain in the arse. They're only any good for chips and roasting, as NQIT says.

They are difficult to desicate, the volunteers stay in the ground for ever, the tops are vigourous and thick, the slugs like them and they bruise to buggery.
They like their water and go scabby as hell, but apart from that. :roll:
Just a Pembrokeshire twat.

Post Reply