Stupid Question

All issues regarding arable farming.
The Pretender

Stupid Question

Post by The Pretender » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:27 pm

Hybrid rape. What is it a hybrid of?

Also. A new variety of wheat gets launched, you grow it for the first time and it yields well, so you grow some more, but to me it always seems like the yields tail off until it get dropped for the latest and greatest group one variety. Or am I imagining it?
keep honking, I'm reloading

McFarmer

Re: Stupid Question

Post by McFarmer » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:57 pm

Well a hybrid is a first generation cross of two inbred lines.

So I guess that's what it is.

But I don't know.
Measure twice, cut once, curse, repeat.

Fat Hill

Post by Fat Hill » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:13 pm

Hybrid seeds are the result of combining 2 different varieties which provide the hybrid vigour-but you can't use the seed of the hybrid crop to grow another crop. Can't remember why, but you can't farm save the seed of the hybrid crop.

Most brassica field crops are hybrids. They are more uniform, yield better and have more vigour- by that I mean cabbage, broccoli, cauliflowers etc.

Hybrid OSR is more vigorous and thrives with lower seed rates, but the seed is much more expensive.

Someat like that anyway
I'm nearly there......but not quite

Coltheox

Post by Coltheox » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:02 am

McFarmer wrote:Well a hybrid is a first generation cross of two inbred lines.

But I don't know.

Bit like Norfolk then........................ :roll:
Full English Brexit, please!

Lord Muck

Post by Lord Muck » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:31 am

Coltheox wrote:

But I don't know.

As opposed to Cambridgeshire where they kept breeding the same fucking line for 300 years...
It's a lovely day

Coltheox

Post by Coltheox » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:33 pm

Lord Muck wrote:
Coltheox wrote:

But I don't know.

As opposed to Cambridgeshire where they kept breeding the same fucking line for 300 years...

But it's a good 'un!!!!
Full English Brexit, please!

Tel

Post by Tel » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:29 pm

The Pretender wrote:Hybrid rape. What is it a hybrid of?

Also. A new variety of wheat gets launched, you grow it for the first time and it yields well, so you grow some more, but to me it always seems like the yields tail off until it get dropped for the latest and greatest group one variety. Or am I imagining it?
Hybrid rape is a unstable cross of two varieties, it is stable for a couple of generations, the stuff you get in bags, but if you were to home save it it would break down and you would end up with varieties a and b in the field rather than variety AB that you want.
I wouldn't home save it as the advantages of the cross would be lost.

Wheat is different and due to the way it's grown is subjected to high environmental pressure from say diseases, they breed resistance into the variety but evolution is such that the disease mutations occur to over come this hence the drop off of a variety.
If fact a disease rating of 9 or 8 suggests a single site characteristic which can be overcome by one mutation, where as a 7 rating might suggest a multi site resistance and therefore is more robust.
That's today's genetics lesson over with.

The Pretender

Post by The Pretender » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:05 pm

Tel wrote:

Hybrid rape is a unstable cross of two varieties, it is stable for a couple of generations, the stuff you get in bags, but if you were to home save it it would break down and you would end up with varieties a and b in the field rather than variety AB that you want.

Wheat is different and due to the way it's grown is subjected to high environmental pressure from say diseases, they breed resistance into the variety but evolution is such that the disease mutations occur to over come this hence the drop off of a variety.
If fact a disease rating of 9 or 8 suggests a single site characteristic which can be overcome by one mutation, where as a 7 rating might suggest a multi site resistance and therefore is more robust.
:salut:

Another question...

Animals go through a rest period every day when it goes dark of if they're nocturnal during the day, soooo, do plants need a period of darkness each day?
keep honking, I'm reloading

McFarmer

Post by McFarmer » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:14 pm

The Pretender wrote:
Tel wrote:

Another question...

Animals go through a rest period every day when it goes dark of if they're nocturnal during the day, soooo, do plants need a period of darkness each day?
Yes.

Tel

Post by Tel » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:03 pm

No
Provided they are fed and watered they will just grow and grow.
The hydroponic set up in the old underground stations in London run 24 hrs.

What some plants do need is varying day length, OSR uses the lengthening days in spring as the trigger to go from vegetative growth to reproductive growth, stem extension.

Flintstone

Post by Flintstone » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:20 pm

McFarmer wrote:
The Pretender wrote:
Tel wrote:

Another question...

Yes.

Explain mushrooms then.
Hold still, it's nearly in.

Lord Muck

Post by Lord Muck » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:02 pm

Flintstone wrote:
McFarmer wrote:
The Pretender wrote:
Tel wrote:

Another question...

Yes.

Explain mushrooms then.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wanker
It's a lovely day

McFarmer

Post by McFarmer » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:23 pm

Flintstone wrote:
McFarmer wrote:
The Pretender wrote:
Tel wrote:

Another question...

Yes.

Explain mushrooms then.
Not plants.

Fat Hill

Post by Fat Hill » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:39 pm

Quite - neither plant nor animal - mushrooms are ffuking aliens
I'm nearly there......but not quite

Coltheox

Post by Coltheox » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:38 pm