Stupid Question

All issues regarding arable farming.
Lord Muck

Re: Stupid Question

Post by Lord Muck » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:22 am

A Mushroom can be a delight or a bastard.
When served tepid, swimming in that black water, it's absolutely foul but when fried in butter, it is a dish on it's own. 8)
It's a lovely day

essexpete

Post by essexpete » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:34 am

Fat Hill wrote:Quite - neither plant nor animal - mushrooms are ffuking aliens
Originating in Norfolk?

essexpete

Post by essexpete » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:36 am

Lord Muck wrote:A Mushroom can be a delight or a bastard.
When served tepid, swimming in that black water, it's absolutely foul but when fried in butter, it is a dish on it's own. 8)
You ought to try mushroom and adder risotto.

essexpete

Post by essexpete » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:38 am

Tel wrote:No
Provided they are fed and watered they will just grow and grow.
The hydroponic set up in the old underground stations in London run 24 hrs.

What some plants do need is varying day length, OSR uses the lengthening days in spring as the trigger to go from vegetative growth to reproductive growth, stem extension.
Good explanations Tel :salut:

Cold temperature also triggers some plant repro.

Lord Muck

Post by Lord Muck » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:05 pm

essexpete wrote:
Go Ffuk yourself.

Bastard things.
It's a lovely day

essexpete

Post by essexpete » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:43 pm

Lord Muck wrote:
essexpete wrote:
Go Ffuk yourself.

Bastard things.

Ooo er ahhhhhh.... Mrs EP can you give me hand LM's idea is not working.

The Pretender

Post by The Pretender » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:21 pm

Another one.

Herbicide resistance blackgrass and rye grass. If you took some infested land out of production and didn't spray it, would the blackgrass and rye grass remain resistant to the chemistry it is currently?
keep honking, I'm reloading

McFarmer

Post by McFarmer » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:26 pm

The Pretender wrote:Another one.

Herbicide resistance blackgrass and rye grass. If you took some infested land out of production and didn't spray it, would the blackgrass and rye grass remain resistant to the chemistry it is currently?

Yes, but the degree of resistance might slowly go down. You would be taking the selection pressure off.
Measure twice, cut once, curse, repeat.

NQIT

Post by NQIT » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:31 pm

Yes. The resistance is due to the genetic makeup of the resistant plants. They were probably always there in small numbers in the population, but with continued use of products they are resistant to, they were not controlled 100% so became the dominant type.
Here we go again, hold tight.

Lord Muck

Post by Lord Muck » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:47 pm

Another question:

With every C*nt seemingly forgetting about months, even seasons and trying to drill behind the combine in June, how long before some twat is harvesting wheat at Easter ?
Mother nature is going to kick a lot of people in the balls within the next 10-15 years.
It's a lovely day

RGSP

Post by RGSP » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:03 pm

Lord Muck wrote:Another question:

With every C*nt seemingly forgetting about months, even seasons and trying to drill behind the combine in June, how long before some twat is harvesting wheat at Easter ?
Mother nature is going to kick a lot of people in the balls within the next 10-15 years.
That last sentence is obviously true, and it's been true for at least a century or two, and probably since the dawn of farming. You try things. Sometimes they're an improvement at once, sometimes not. The traditional period in The Bible (and some ancient Greeks farming texts) for trying things out, and seeing whether they work long term, was seven years, and that's not a silly period 2,000 years later. Every year farmers take risks, every year some do well, and some go bankrupt. A long string of unusual years weather-wise always sees a lot of bankruptcies at the end of it.

This isn't to say that plant breeding isn't making progress towards earlier and/or hardier varieties: it is - good progress, both with and without what comes under the heading of "GM". All the same, just because a new variety cultivated in a slightly different way does very well for some years, doesn't mean it's going to do so for ever, for a multiplicity of reasons.

Lord Muck

Post by Lord Muck » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:37 pm

RGSP wrote:

That last sentence is obviously true, and it's been true for at least a century or two, and probably since the dawn of farming. You try things. Sometimes they're an improvement at once, sometimes not. The traditional period in The Bible (and some ancient Greeks farming texts) for trying things out, and seeing whether they work long term, was seven years, and that's not a silly period 2,000 years later. Every year farmers take risks, every year some do well, and some go bankrupt. A long string of unusual years weather-wise always sees a lot of bankruptcies at the end of it.

This isn't to say that plant breeding isn't making progress towards earlier and/or hardier varieties: it is - good progress, both with and without what comes under the heading of "GM". All the same, just because a new variety cultivated in a slightly different way does very well for some years, doesn't mean it's going to do so for ever, for a multiplicity of reasons.
Your 7 year statement is interesting as that's around the point most give up on direct drilling (the low point) but those who struggle through then tend to see an improvement.
7 does seem to be an important number in nature.
It's a lovely day

Coltheox

Post by Coltheox » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:04 am

Lord Muck wrote:
RGSP wrote:

Your 7 year statement is interesting as that's around the point most give up on direct drilling (the low point) but those who struggle through then tend to see an improvement.
7 does seem to be an important number in nature.
I agree. I was seven years old when I realised I was growing up. When I got to fourteen, I realised I was taking more than a passing interest in girls, particularly their norks. Upon reaching twenty one, I was in contact with said norks amongst other parts of a girls anatomy.

Reaching twenty eight, I was married, and began to realise it was not all it was cracked up to be. At thirty five I was divorced, and enjoying life, with some spending money, women to spend it on, and a pretty good standard of life. Forty two saw me still enjoying life, and becoming more worldly wise, as I saw it.

Forty nine rolled round, and I was becoming aware of old age looming in the distance. Old age was still looming at aged fifty six, but it was apparent that it was approaching fast. Upon reaching sixty three, it finally dawned on me!!! I was a Caaaaaaant........ :o :D
Full English Brexit, please!

Tel

Post by Tel » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:04 pm

It's classic Darwin selection of the fittest.
Without selection pressure say Atlantis, mutations that it effect could come back.
This year we are using chemistry from the 80's as selection pressure to say Atlantis has forced out the resistance to chems from long ago.

Tel

Post by Tel » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:11 pm

The current wheat depends in day length and therefore it will always be harv seed in July Aug period.
If you think about it roughly T3 goes on round cereals
T 2 is May bank holiday
T1 is end of April beginning of May.
Until a genetic changes appears that's the way it will be

A lot of the stuff early drilled are maybe cover crops not for harvest