Farming Forum UK

A forum for farmers and country-folk worldwide.
It is currently Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:50 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:27 am 

So, mate of mine has gone for the whole strip till, one pass drilling job. Claydon being his weapon of choice.
Other farmer on the shoot today has gone for the Sumo DTS solution. No biggy, whatever works. Both grow sugarbeet, and they were discussing what cover crops they will grow in front of the beet.

In Suffolk, even on light land, the way forward has always been to plough before spring crops, especially beet, which as you know has a long tap root and needs to grow in uncompacted soil.

I proposed to the enlightened duo a way to grow beet without ploughing. The DTS guy said "no way, never going to work" the other said, yes way, that's what I'm a gonna do.

This was the plan: sow bands with the Claydon at 50 cm spacing after cereal crop, chopped straw, with soil enriching mix( clovers, phacilia, oil radish etc) cover crops grown in 20cm bands, with 30cm between "rows"
Using RTK type positioning , cultivate at depth( say 30cm) between the seeded strips, once the cover crops we're established , say late September. Then in Spring, as the soil warms up, spray off the remaining cover, and establish the beet in the deep cultivated "slots" between the sprayed off cover
Now, I know ffuk all about farming, but seeing how strip till is progressing, rtk (other gps systems are available, apparently) seems to provide growers with the ability to only work the soil that need to be worked for any given deed to grow in its ideal environment. Meanwhile, farmer boy saves on plough metal, cultivation costs int spring, and plants his beet into a perfect scenario, where seed is drilled in an uncompacted slot, supplied with starter fertilisers, and the emerging seedlings are protected from the wind by the rotting cover left behind

Just rambling, really

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:05 am 

Strip till is very popular here. Some folks make it work and others give it up.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:20 am 

Obviously dependent on soil type etc but I reckon it would work.
Main thing is to get the ground cracked and split to allow beet to develop but the crop beforehand will play a part in this.
Don't forget, long, big beet give you tonnage, tighter beet tend to give better sugar's.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:12 am 

Lord Muck wrote:
Main thing is to get the ground cracked and split to allow beet to develop but the crop beforehand will play a part in this.
Don't forget, long, big beet give you tonnage, tighter beet tend to give better sugar's.

Thanks Mayo for that top tip. :)
I grew 20ha of beet on light land in by drilling into cereal stubbles that were flatlifted with small tines working between subsoiler legs. Main problem was trash around drill coulter but no difference in yield between that and normal plough/press, cultivate, drill crops. With RTK, cultivating just the bit you need for crop establishment has to be the way forward. Especially wide drilled row crops. Or maybe high blackgrass areas drilling cereals in narrow high density bands on wide spacings to allow hoeing/glyphosate between rows?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:10 pm 

NQIT wrote:
Lord Muck wrote:

Thanks Mayo for that top tip. :)

The difference being I actually know about beet...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:31 pm 

You've been beeten (see what i did there?) to it by zee Germans, among others.
http://www.controlledtrafficfarming.com ... zucker.pdf

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:40 pm 

graybo wrote:

But how do the drills cope with all the towels laid out on the field?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:21 pm 

graybo wrote:

Difference is, with my plan, you grow a cover crop between where the beet would grow, including some N fixing plants, which would provide some N for the young beet plants. Or someat.

I dare say, everyone will carry on ploughing round these parts. They like ploughing coz it keeps the old bastards in employment

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:57 pm 

I would say Mr Hill that you think about right

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:45 pm 

Tel wrote:
I would say Mr Hill that you think about right

Hes still a gretol' mincing homm though.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:50 am 

Fair point. Yor still a screaming nancy boy, even though you've gone through the charade of getting wed. It's just a smoke screen. Hommmmmmmm

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:08 pm 

Just trawling through stuff now I have one of them there iPads.

How did your mates beet do Bongo?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:34 pm 

He topped his cover crops coz they got too tall, and ruined his shoot ( pheasants wouldn't stay in the maize covers when they had 700 acres of 2 foot tall phacelia and radish to poke about in)
He then ploughed the covers in, in the spring and drilled his beet in the traditional manner.
He has given up beet for now........probably for ever. Herbs and spuds make more money, and neither of them are suited to strip till, AFAIK. No till spuds......I'd like to see it done

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:08 pm 

The spot I worked in Essex used to disc land and leave it unpressed all winter to weather to go into spuds. Was a fooking mess and ways needed about 80 passes with the power Harrow to get it anywhere near doing anything. Theyd also sometimes rip it, disc it then baulk it up so it would be again pissing wet and cloudy in the spring so they'd have to tear the baulks down, kick it about again then put it back up for bed tilling so they could try and de-stone it. She was insistent on growing spuds on ground beside a brick factory right enough. Waste of time it was like a slug breeding program.
She winged it one year and managed to get a pre packing contract with a supermarket (even though we could never get a decent skin finish) but it went south when someone put a Coke can in amongst a display pack of spuds. Rumoured to be the first time she said fuck in public.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:57 pm 

Be interesting to see what happens where I am atm, trialled a Claydon just after I'd started and its done well.Depends on what happens when the new manager starts but its looking like one will turn up and will also probably end up drilling the AD maize as well.The inlaws are on their second Claydon and in their 4th year on the system-although I wish noting but pestilence and the clap on them its working reet well.

Reply to topic 
 [ 17 posts ]