Farming Forum UK

A forum for farmers and country-folk worldwide.
It is currently Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:33 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Danish Red cattle
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:00 pm 

We bought 20 Danish Red bulling heifers last Jan and ran a young Holstein bull with them
They're calving now (13 so far) and I have been really pleased with them, good mothers quiet, well behaved in the parlour. We'll see how they milk but 1 of them is giving 6 gallons after just 10 days
I'm really pleased with them
:D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:06 pm 

Thats good news :D

I'm not a dairy expert, but I am a fan of Lincoln Red Cattle which produce great beef 8)

Perhaps red is the answer :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:49 pm 

Red cattle are good.....note well the SUFFOLK Red poll, a fine dual purpose breed, can give a lot of milk, but also finishes a reasonable carcass. We had rare fillet of SUFFOLK red poll for our wedding dinner, and it wus right flavoursome, but I wud have preferred a nice roast rib me sen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:10 am 

That sounds promising.
What are the calves like?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:21 am 

Got any pictures, it sounds an interesting cross, presumably you are looking to increase butterfat and protein?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:17 am 

I will put some pictures on
calves are a right bunch of liquorice allsorts, some black like Angus/black Limmy, some red with white face like Hereford, some like Holstein/Friesian some like big Jersey/Brown Swiss, some red and white like Ayrshire some a spotty black and white like Normandy

I wasn't really looking for any particular trait improvement (other than profit !)

I bought the heifers from a local ADAS farm, they had been imported from Denmark in July 07 for a BvD vaccine trial, (as Denmark is BvD free) then the drugs company withdrew and ADAS wanted them moved quickly last Christmas
Got them at the right price, thought a Holstein bull would be worth running with them and grazed them on river meadows all summer. I thought the cross bred calf would have best of both -we'll see- but I'm beginning to wonder if I should get a Danish bull and go pure
The Danish Red breed has been developed with the use of Ayrshire, Shorthorn and American Brown Swiss so the cows are a mixed bunch too

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:16 pm 

If I use a Belgian Blue bull on a Danish Red cow will I get an English Purple calf
17 heifers now calved in 17 days - our bull was a busy boy last Feb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:01 pm 

rogerm wrote:
I will put some pictures on
calves are a right bunch of liquorice allsorts, some black like Angus/black Limmy, some red with white face like Hereford, some like Holstein/Friesian some like big Jersey/Brown Swiss, some red and white like Ayrshire some a spotty black and white like Normandy

I wasn't really looking for any particular trait improvement (other than profit !)

I bought the heifers from a local ADAS farm, they had been imported from Denmark in July 07 for a BvD vaccine trial, (as Denmark is BvD free) then the drugs company withdrew and ADAS wanted them moved quickly last Christmas
Got them at the right price, thought a Holstein bull would be worth running with them and grazed them on river meadows all summer. I thought the cross bred calf would have best of both -we'll see- but I'm beginning to wonder if I should get a Danish bull and go pure
The Danish Red breed has been developed with the use of Ayrshire, Shorthorn and American Brown Swiss so the cows are a mixed bunch too

Beware the Danish Red bull. Had one which did not feel pain :cry: .Got nasty and broke the copper/brass ring so we used a stainless steel one instead and that didn't break...he tore his nose out :evil:

Reply to topic 
 [ 8 posts ]