Farming Forum UK

A forum for farmers and country-folk worldwide.
It is currently Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:54 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: #SOSdairy
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:01 pm 

Just incase you don't see it on ITV .... :D

Just though I'd let you all know about the #SOSdairy campaigning on Twitter, as unfortunately you have to be registered to see anything posted on there.

... I urge you all to join in, please!

These are the sort of tweets on the #SOSdairy trend.

Anyone who puts #sosdairy in their message will appear in this search & so anyone interested in the topic can follow what's been said, what the latest news or thoughts are
... most importantly I think, any questions or queries anyone has.

This guy posted a dairy farmer question to one of the "sustainable foods" type organisations on Twitter, & they retweeted it & added the #sosdairy tag. This brought it to my attention & I tried to answer his questions - difficult to fit into tweets of 110 characters, but I think we got there!

The public are trying to understand why dairy farmers are in the situation we're in - Twitter is a way for them to connect with us.

There's also been some #agrichatuk sessions, where a time is set for a special discussion - usually Thurs 8-9pm - & everyone joins in. The topic last night was "Dairy - what next for #sosdairy?" The record of the session is at http://storify.com/mh_syngenta/agrichatuk-what-next-for-sosdairy-12-07-12

eg.

This one again, came up on the #sosdairy trend ....

Just a young lass "doing her bit" for us
& I felt obliged to thank her ...

She retweeted my message to all her followers ... all 458 of them! :eek: I hope the cute calf & why she was sent it was a topic of discussion with a few of her friends at least.

This comment below, was as a result of the Daily Mail article, also discussed on BFF in this topic http://farmingforum.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=71128

We all know there was a lot of misinformation in that article, but the public don't - at least one reader felt they had to challenge the "plight of the dairy farmer".

When I saw the letter that AlfM put on BFF http://farmingforum.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=960060#post960060 I tweeted it to a few folk who might be interested. The message lands straight on their home page.

They probably know about it already, but it went out to all my followers at the same time & at least 2 of them retweeted it.

The other 'VIP' people you can contact 'directly' with on Twitter are the celebs. These 3 were particularly vocal about Nocton - I hope they support the current dairy farming industry ...

Please join Twitter - it's a very easy way to spread the word, support the cause ... & support each other.

I'm not the type to accost folk in the street & challenge them about milk & dairy farming, but I can on Twitter!

:)

Last edited by The Squire on Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:07 pm 

keep at it lass your doin fine :salut:

as we will soon have 1600t of corn to sell to a feed mill :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:29 pm 

jonnieboy wrote:

Have you any straw? We're getting down to our last doz bales. :(

Huffy, what's your Twitter ID?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:27 am 

The Squire wrote:
jonnieboy wrote:

Have you any straw? We're getting down to our last doz bales. :(

Huffy, what's your Twitter ID?

all spoken for sorry
and soon might still be a month away :roll:

locals are even after the rape straw after he's done a deal with drax :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:36 am 

Great work Squire,after I've finished the job on today I'll try again and join twitter to give you a hand-although you will probably have to tell me how to use it :scratch:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:08 am 

Blumenthal wrote:
Great work Squire,after I've finished the job on today I'll try again and join twitter to give you a hand-although you will probably have to tell me how to use it :scratch:

Yeah! :salut:
Any questions - ask away! :)

As mentioned on another planet ...
Quote:
You "Follow" anyone whose comments you are interested in. eg. @FarmersWeekly @FarmersGuardian @piersmorgan @BusinessLinkGov @NFUtweets‏ ‏ @maxclifford1 @FARMERS4ACTION etc & their Tweets appear on your Home page.

If you look at the people who they're following you'll build up a list of people you want to hear from.

Twitter is a great way of getting your message direct to them (so long as they have a Twitter ID!) eg. putting @Lord_Sugar in your message will ensure your tweet appears on his home page.

When people talk about a certain subject they invent a #hashtag so that you can search for a certain topic of conversation (or trend) eg. #sosdairy #sosmilk ‪(current dairy topic) #clubhectare‬ (arable) #agrichatuk (general) #gys (Gt Yorkshire Show).... etc.

Hashtags are also used for expression or humour during a Tweet eg. #frustrated #goforit As you make Tweets & people like what you're saying then they choose to 'follow' you.

See also: "Twitter #Hashtags - A Guide to their use" http://farminkent.blogspot.co.uk/2012/0 ... r-use.html

I like it because it's 'current' - you find out about things as they happen.

:lol:

Last edited by The Squire on Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:09 am 

NOW you are going somewhere. :salut:

I wrote to a 'dairy farmer' on ITV and this is what I put:

XXXXXX if you genuinely want to see change, you have now seen what needs to be done via Sam-TM and the Twitter stuff.
Seriously, protest marches etc are flash in the pan bollox. We live in the 21st century.
You always write passionately about dairy issues - well here's YOUR chance to make a big difference.

It needs the likes of you, Sam_TM etc to get more and more people on board of this social media lark.
You're always happy to argue and write post after post in defence of dairy farmers
So now do it with all your heart.

The large number of dairy farmers on here at present are prehistoric cavemen with the PR skills of Adolph Hitler.
Stop arguing with the dairies and supermarkets - YOU WON'T WIN - their PR dept's will wipe your arse off the face of the earth.
However.....
Joe Public has the supermarkets by the balls.
Dairy farmers are the supermarkets slaves - the supermarkets are the slaves of Joe Public.
Always convince the boss that you need a raise - It's pointless talking to his monkey.

It appears you even have the likes of Jimmy D on board !! For F*cks sake ! You CANNOT let a chance like this pass.

YOU have to convince these neolithic apes that 'marches on the big smoke' are long gone.
Let your real bosses (the public) know whats going on and let them force the hands of the supermarkets.
There are millions more public milk buyers than there are dairy farmers.

On ITV, they are talking of shotting animals for F*cks sake.
Why don't they round up a few supermarket bosses and shoot them in the town square until someone owns up as to who stole the Commandants staff car ? :roll:

Sam_TM has gone right to the top - not to the supermarkets but to high profile public figures. 8)
These are the people who are followed on Twitter, these are the people who get recognised and listened to.
If the 3000 farmers who went to London for a look around and a burger in MacDonalds all joined Twitter and told the public of their daily struggle, the supermarkets would respond and act within a fortnight.
If they continue to insist on shooting cattle, threatening to contaminate the herds with crystal meth (ref: the use of anti-biotics :roll: ) then they will be discussing this when the NEXT Olympics are staged.

Well done Squire - whatever happens, you have done more in 48hrs than 3000 rural daytrippers will do in their lifetime. :thumleft:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:12 am 

Well done Squire,will get agri-student on the job,he's a twatter,he always seems to get a response when he twats something. :thumleft:

P.S. He's aware apparently,he says it was 'trending',is that the correct term :? ,on Wednesday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:44 am 

Lord Muck wrote:
On ITV, they are talking of shotting animals for F*cks sake.
Why don't they round up a few supermarket bosses and shoot them in the town square until someone owns up as to who stole the Commandants staff car ? :roll:

The "Cull" idea comes from Ian Potter, he always manages to stir things up!
http://www.ipaquotas.com/QUOTANEWS.htm

See If the retailers won’t pay for the milk the cows will (13th July 2012)
& How could a cull scheme work in Britain? (13th July 2012)
More cows killed = Less Milk = More Money – Simple. (13th July 2012)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:50 am 

I particularly like my phrase "shotting" animals....

Twot. :roll:

Haven't heard much from Potter lately.
I thought he might have passed away.

Post subject: www.milkorbust.com
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:32 pm 

If you thought a cut in production would stop the milk price cuts from August 1st would you support it? If YES or NO then please go to www.milkorbust.com and add your support, it will cost you nothing to do and may save more than the 2p proposed cut!
When the sun shines we will all be too busy to do anything so please act now; it can be done, should be done and if its not done we only have ourselves to blame!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:22 pm 

is there a website that the general public know about that shows the price the producers are paid? If there were such a site, then the public might like to buy their milk from the shop that pays the farmer the most. Maybe. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:55 pm 

I'm sorry but since the GDO in London, the great battle which was won :roll: has lost more momentum than a turd on a blanket.
It now appears that dairy farmers are unable to agree how to make their point, let alone actually make it.
As far as I'm concerned, if you cannot understand that you need to get Joe Public on-side rather than harping on and whinging to the supermarkets and buyers, then you ought to look in the local paper for a new job because you're going under - fact.

Those of you who are campaigning with all your might - good luck and I really hope that you have some success but as for the others who want to remain in the 18th century - it's a matter of time, thats all....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:51 pm 

The Pretender wrote:
is there a website that the general public know about that shows the price the producers are paid? If there were such a site, then the public might like to buy their milk from the shop that pays the farmer the most. Maybe. :?

Big supermarket milk prices https://www.dropbox.com/s/pyr61rmnrkzd90y/SOSMilk.doc

The small ones - Aldi, lidl, etc & everyone else pay the least they possibly can!

Small dairies either buy their milk from one of the big buyers or 'spot' market. Some have their own farmer suppliers but these dairies still will cut the price to their farmers - they don't generally pay farmers more than the 'going rate'. Their argument is to be competitive. They also reduce it 'because they can'.

The only guaranteed place you can really get your milk, so that the farmer gets the most return from it, is the guy who bottles & sells his own milk.

Reply to topic 
 [ 14 posts ]