Farming Forum UK

A forum for farmers and country-folk worldwide.
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:51 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:36 pm 

If you believe a cut in production would help stop the price cuts in August would you support it? If YES or NO please go to www.milkorbust.com and add your view and support!
We run a real risk that when the weather turns the issue will disappear and nothing was achieved accept proving to the buyers they do what they like when they like and we will take it even though we say we cant - dangerous message to set.
By the way, a 2p cut is nothing compared to the increases feed costs we are facing this winter!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:07 pm 

a combination of TB reactors, poor weather, culling earlier and drying a few off early will reduce our production

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:57 pm 

By the way, a 2p cut is nothing compared to the increases feed costs we are facing this winter!

and that is part of a perfict storm the 2 p cut maynot of even lead to a pub moan if all other things were low keep in mind intrest rates are low if they shot back up to 10% or 20% it would realy kick in for a lot of the ones expanding

the big thing is how many made the numbers work with low input costs and high payments lifted stocking and inputs to get record outputs ..

Aren't blow up dolls fucking great?
I mean, where else can you find a woman that always looks shocked at the size of your cock?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:43 pm 

I have had nearly 1000 people look at www.milkorbust.com - the question is "would you cut back your daily production if you thought it would stop the August 1st price cuts"? Yes or No please tell us - ONLY 5 people have answered with 80% (sounds better) saying yes, just imagine if we sent a poll to all the buyers saying that 80% of British producers will cut production if the August price cut is not scrapped? Problem is 80% of 5 isnt going to make a difference.

The perfect storm is around the corner - are we going to do anything about it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:44 pm 

I have had nearly 1000 people look at www.milkorbust.com - the question is "would you cut back your daily production if you thought it would stop the August 1st price cuts"? Yes or No please tell us - ONLY 5 people have answered with 80% (sounds better) saying yes, just imagine if we sent a poll to all the buyers saying that 80% of British producers will cut production if the August price cut is not scrapped? Problem is 80% of 5 isnt going to make a difference.

The perfect storm is around the corner - are we going to do anything about it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:01 pm 

How many dairy farmers do we have on this forum?
Sadly, excluding Ag College, I do not even know where the nearest dairy farm to me is right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:52 pm 

Ragwort wrote:
Sadly, excluding Ag College, I do not even know where the nearest dairy farm to me is right now.

At a rough guess,

Rog
Squire
Moors farmer
Huffs

I've probably missed somebody.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:49 pm 

Blumenthal wrote:
Ragwort wrote:

At a rough guess,

Rog
Squire
Moors farmer
Huffs

I've probably missed somebody.

don't forget Andrew 830 Bloomers

if the supply was disrupted, would the dairies take milk destined for cheese butter etc & bottle that instead ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:07 pm 

rogerm wrote:
don't forget Andrew 830 Bloomers

I did :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:09 pm 

When is someone going to ask what the consumers (including me) think of this?

Milk is a tiny proportion of anyone's food budget so why do the retailers feel the need to drive the prices down so hard? If the price doubled tomorrow nobody would starve and the very, very few that were that badly off could be given it for free as part of some guv'mint scheme or other.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:18 pm 

Because people want everything at cost or less as they feel it is their right.
But yes, milk could be doubled, the producer would get a fair price and people would still buy it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:21 pm 

So what's the situation now? I just read the prices thread but that finished in 2012.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:39 pm 

Lord Muck wrote:
But yes, milk could be doubled, the producer would get a fair price and people would still buy it.

People will still cross the street to get milk a penny cheaper though, that's why they put offers on.
... & the shop managers know that, on their way to the milk section at the back of the shop, folk will put other stuff in their basket as they go past.

The best way to increase the milk price to the farmer is to sell it to a processor who turns it into some value added product - like cheese, filtered milk, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:01 am 

The Squire wrote:
Lord Muck wrote:

People will still cross the street to get milk a penny cheaper though, that's why they put offers on.
... & the shop managers know that, on their way to the milk section at the back of the shop, folk will put other stuff in their basket as they go past.

The best way to increase the milk price to the farmer is to sell it to a processor who turns it into some value added product - like cheese, filtered milk, etc.

Hmmm.... I'm not sure.

Adding value sounds fine - and until very recently has worked - but the global markets have taken a serious downturn resulting in a serious price crash. In my opinion cheese, SMP etc is a very dangerous game as the industry is competing directly with other countries that have considerably lower production costs.

Personally - I'm fortunate (or unfortunate, depending on how you see things) enough to be a core producer member of the Tesco Sustainable Dairy Group that calculates milk price paid based on variable costs, overhead costs,depreciation. These figures are gleaned from participating producers by consultant firm Promar. These figures are recalculated every 6 months reflecting changes in variable cost.

Currently our milk price hasn't changed.

My thoughts whilst enjoying the TSDG price - it's a bit of a PR and marketing ploy for Tesco with the advantage of ring fencing a degree of supply. It's worth pointing out that Tesco do not source all their dairy product from the TSDG.

Works for me, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:49 pm 

Milk prices are dropping because of world prices,unlike last year when the price should have been going up and the dairies tried to hold on to the extra money.
Feed prices are dropping and with feed wheat at £108 that will be a big saving for us and i think we will probably make as much money this winter as we did last.
The big problem will be in the spring if these new entrants start milking.I have heard of several big dairy units being built all of them are spring calvers.There is enough spring milk now,just look at the pricing structure of the main milk buyers.

I think we are in for turbulent times,make as much as we can in the good times to help through the bad.

Reply to topic 
 [ 17 posts ]