Farming Forum UK

A forum for farmers and country-folk worldwide.
It is currently Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:45 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:33 pm 

Heard today of a 'local' liquid milk processor is telling his farmer suppliers that he thinks milk will be back down to 27 ppl this autumn. :(

Being part of a European Dairy Co-op, our milk price is based on european milk price, exchange rates & profits from 'our' processing/marketing.

It's very interesting to see milk prices follow Arla's prices down & cite the market ... but will they follow them 'up' (if & when!) in the same fashion? Or will UK processors then suddenly (predictably) 'remember' that they're not tied to the same formulae?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:26 pm 

andrew830 wrote:
Milk prices are dropping because of world prices,unlike last year when the price should have been going up and the dairies tried to hold on to the extra money.
Feed prices are dropping and with feed wheat at £108 that will be a big saving for us and i think we will probably make as much money this winter as we did last.
The big problem will be in the spring if these new entrants start milking.I have heard of several big dairy units being built all of them are spring calvers.There is enough spring milk now,just look at the pricing structure of the main milk buyers.

I think we are in for turbulent times,make as much as we can in the good times to help through the bad.

We all must remember Tesco's extra little helps in the form of the Promar consultant doing the figures of cost of production against the feed price drop hence the downward movement of farmgate prices .
And all the silly feckers thinking the jobs too good to either stay out of or double up the cow numbers

Reply to topic 
 [ 17 posts ]