Farming Forum UK

A forum for farmers and country-folk worldwide.
It is currently Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:44 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:44 pm 

The Squire wrote:
Moors Farmer wrote:
I'm going to defend Tesco (and Sainsbury) to a point. I supply Tesco via a core contract with Tesco Sustainable Dairy Group. Using a cost tracking method of price calculation, my milk price going forwards (to May 2015) is 32ppl.

The bad boys in the supermarket world are Morrisons, Aldi, Lidl and Asda.

andrew830 wrote:
What percentage of tesco milk comes from the dairy group,i bet its close to bugger all.Its a marketing tool for them.
Having said that my milk price is cbased on a basket of milk prices,tesco being one of them so i am gratefull that they are paying better than some of the others.

The only milk in Tesco that is comes from the TSDG is that with 'Tesco' on the label. They sell an awful lot of other milk too & the price they charge for all of it will have little bearing on what they pay their direct suppliers.
I don't think Tesco is so sweet & innocent in all this.

Wouldn't disagree with any of that - it's what I meant by "to a point". I'm hoping to go to the TSDG conference in the near future and will ask the question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:45 pm 

The Pretender wrote:
I read most of the Guardian article and it did raise a few interesting points about people wanting cheap milk but not wanting big dairies to produce it. I would like to add however, that nobody is forcing anybody to milk cows.

Yes , thank you . Have you been drinking from the wisdom bottle ? :wink:

Pret
Perhaps I ought to say that your last comment always serves to make me slightly mad , as every milk producer knows that's true , but in a knock about general discussion , it serves no purpose :)
I can certainly do something else , but its like a big old Hamster wheel that never stops turning , and always needs you to keep your eye on it , unless you are big enough to afford expert staff who can be relied on . And 30 yrs of breeding cows does not make it easy to exit at a whim ,ask Mac :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:42 pm 

Tomorrow I am off to a talk on " Maximise the £££s from your silage this winter" at Lions Quay in Oswestry.
Not one of my favourite pastimes , but as I am supposed to be taking it easy , and I am being given a lift there !!

PLUS the first speaker is the one and only chap who is featured in the Guardian article above with 1350 cows (or intends to have that many)
Cost him 330,000 in legal costs he reckons , so it will be interesting to see the 35 yr old talk :|

Reply to topic 
 [ 18 posts ]