Farming Forum UK

A forum for farmers and country-folk worldwide.
It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:46 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:36 pm 

This question could go in so many categories. But I've chosen this one.......

I have an arable field. Currently growing Osr.
At its edge there is a ditch. Then there is a hedge. Then (on the neighbours side) is some poorly maintained sheep netting.
The neighbour rents out this (150ac) field, and with little grass they are happiest when they have broken through onto my Osr and can have a bite at that.
The hedge is ours. No question. That was part of the deal when the land was purchased.
But who is responsible for making sure the sheep don't eat my crops?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:42 pm 

I believe that the owner of livestock is obliged to keep them under control ie not roam the countryside. How they control them is up to them. Fence, hedge, whatever.
Whip some ffuks into him.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:11 pm 

NQIT wrote:
I believe that the owner of livestock is obliged to keep them under control ie not roam the countryside. How they control them is up to them. Fence, hedge, whatever.

^^^^^^^^

This.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:43 pm 

The Pretender wrote:
NQIT wrote:

^^^^^^^^

This.

+1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:36 pm 

I always thought it was down to the landowner, he owns the land and the fence.
I always wrote into any grazing licence that the animal owner was liable for the fencing and his stock getting out.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:17 pm 

Tel wrote:
I always thought it was down to the landowner, he owns the land and the fence.
I always wrote into any grazing licence that the animal owner was liable for the fencing and his stock getting out.

The land is mine, as is the hedge even though it on the other side of the ditch which is in my field. It's the fencing after the hedge on the neighbours land which is causing the problem.
But like you, and others have said......people should fence for their own stock.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:51 am 

In law, the owner (keeper) of any livestock has a duty of care to his/her animals.

Even if I rented land off you, in the middle of your farm and your farm was totally unfenced and my sheep got across your land, ate your crops, got across your neighbours, ate his and then jumped onto the M1, I, as the owner of the livestock I'm at fault as I have a duty of care to my animals.
It has nothing to do with your neighbour (apart from him having a bit of decency to his neighbours) it is squarely down to the owner of the livestock.

It's no different from walking a dog without a lead for a friend and then it biting a mong and you saying "But the owner didn't give me a lead"
Animal is in YOUR care.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:49 pm 

There's no question about who is responsible for keeping livestock fenced in law. It's another matter enforcing it - rather more difficult than getting rid of Pikeys legally. Many farmers end up puttting their own fence in place to keep neighbour's livestock out, just because it's sometimes the easiest (and cheapest) thing to do.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:24 pm 

Did you take responsibility for the boundary when you bought the ground, or just ownership of the hedge? We had that discussion when we sold the wood earlier in the year. The purchasers wanted to take ownership of the boundary hedge, so it was agreed they took full responsibility for the boundary including maintaining the fence on our side of the hedge.

There's a double fenced hedge along our boundary with another (farming) neighbour and some belongs to him and some to me, but whoever's section it is has responsibility to maintain both fences and the hedge.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:31 pm 

DaveJ wrote:
Did you take responsibility for the boundary when you bought the ground, or just ownership of the hedge? We had that discussion when we sold the wood earlier in the year. The purchasers wanted to take ownership of the boundary hedge, so it was agreed they took full responsibility for the boundary including maintaining the fence on our side of the hedge.

There's a double fenced hedge along our boundary with another (farming) neighbour and some belongs to him and some to me, but whoever's section it is has responsibility to maintain both fences and the hedge.

Now that's interesting. The purchasers have to maintain the fence on your side! Think I'm going to have to check that one out.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:08 pm 

Seen a decent bit of fencing yesterday , It had a special feature where if you went near it this old van with about 6 nice chaps with scary guns came along and suggested you could fukc off and don't dare take any more pictures .
They would probably make sure your neighbours sheep stayed at home too :lol:

Attachments:
border fence.jpg
border fence.jpg [ 304.53 KiB | Viewed 582 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:02 am 

In this wide brown land the owner of the live stock as Lord Muck said has to control hos or her live stock
but as others have stated getting anyone to enforce the law is a whole different ball game I know this straying stock has cost us over $180000 in damaged cane and we fight really hard with responsible people to do the right thing in the end we are slowly going out of cane to grow other crops that we can fence in

Paul

other than that slowly recycle the sheep thru your oven and dinner table

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:40 pm 

defender wrote:
Seen a decent bit of fencing yesterday...

They've got a bit of a fence down Paul's way:

5614 kilometres is the total length of the Dingo Fence from Surfers Paradise, Qld to the Bight in Western Australia.
8614 kilometres was the total length of the Dingo Fence up until 1980, where due to repair costs it was shortened to its present length.
26.5 million hectares of sheep and cattle grazing country is what the Dingo Fence protects.
5,614,000 metres of wire mesh, that stands 180 centimetres in height and is a further 30 centimetres underground, was used to build the Dingo Fence.
623,777 wooden and steel posts hold the Dingo Fence together.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:47 pm 

Flintstone wrote:
defender wrote:

5614 kilometres is the total length of the Dingo Fence from Surfers Paradise, Qld to the Bight in Western Australia.
8614 kilometres was the total length of the Dingo Fence up until 1980, where due to repair costs it was shortened to its present length.
26.5 million hectares of sheep and cattle grazing country is what the Dingo Fence protects.
5,614,000 metres of wire mesh, that stands 180 centimetres in height and is a further 30 centimetres underground, was used to build the Dingo Fence.

Thought you were speaking Brogan- Bingo this, than and everything then see its a D not a B :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:44 am 

footsfitter wrote:
Flintstone wrote:
defender wrote:

Thought you were speaking Brogan- Bingo this, than and everything then see its a D not a B :roll:

Should have gone to Specsavers, Bilbo. :)

Reply to topic 
 [ 28 posts ]