Farming Forum UK

A forum for farmers and country-folk worldwide.
It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:46 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:05 am
Posts: 11350
Location: On the beach!
This question could go in so many categories. But I've chosen this one.......

I have an arable field. Currently growing Osr.
At its edge there is a ditch. Then there is a hedge. Then (on the neighbours side) is some poorly maintained sheep netting.
The neighbour rents out this (150ac) field, and with little grass they are happiest when they have broken through onto my Osr and can have a bite at that.
The hedge is ours. No question. That was part of the deal when the land was purchased.
But who is responsible for making sure the sheep don't eat my crops?

_________________
Out of Africa.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:13 pm
Posts: 3539
Location: Norfolk
I believe that the owner of livestock is obliged to keep them under control ie not roam the countryside. How they control them is up to them. Fence, hedge, whatever.
Whip some ffuks into him.

_________________
Here we go again, hold tight.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:05 pm
Posts: 10364
Location: The Zone
NQIT wrote:
I believe that the owner of livestock is obliged to keep them under control ie not roam the countryside. How they control them is up to them. Fence, hedge, whatever.
Whip some ffuks into him.


^^^^^^^^

This.

_________________
keep honking, I'm reloading


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:36 pm
Posts: 7105
Location: Megawatt valley
The Pretender wrote:
NQIT wrote:
I believe that the owner of livestock is obliged to keep them under control ie not roam the countryside. How they control them is up to them. Fence, hedge, whatever.
Whip some ffuks into him.


^^^^^^^^

This.



+1

_________________
Taxi Willy,he's a hero...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:45 pm
Posts: 3158
I always thought it was down to the landowner, he owns the land and the fence.
I always wrote into any grazing licence that the animal owner was liable for the fencing and his stock getting out.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:05 am
Posts: 11350
Location: On the beach!
Tel wrote:
I always thought it was down to the landowner, he owns the land and the fence.
I always wrote into any grazing licence that the animal owner was liable for the fencing and his stock getting out.


The land is mine, as is the hedge even though it on the other side of the ditch which is in my field. It's the fencing after the hedge on the neighbours land which is causing the problem.
But like you, and others have said......people should fence for their own stock.

_________________
Out of Africa.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:21 pm
Posts: 24142
In law, the owner (keeper) of any livestock has a duty of care to his/her animals.

Even if I rented land off you, in the middle of your farm and your farm was totally unfenced and my sheep got across your land, ate your crops, got across your neighbours, ate his and then jumped onto the M1, I, as the owner of the livestock I'm at fault as I have a duty of care to my animals.
It has nothing to do with your neighbour (apart from him having a bit of decency to his neighbours) it is squarely down to the owner of the livestock.

It's no different from walking a dog without a lead for a friend and then it biting a mong and you saying "But the owner didn't give me a lead"
Animal is in YOUR care.

_________________
Lovely, lovely, lovely....hahahahaha


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:02 pm
Posts: 6125
Location: south Suffolk
There's no question about who is responsible for keeping livestock fenced in law. It's another matter enforcing it - rather more difficult than getting rid of Pikeys legally. Many farmers end up puttting their own fence in place to keep neighbour's livestock out, just because it's sometimes the easiest (and cheapest) thing to do.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:47 pm
Posts: 3337
Location: crappest broadband in Powys
Did you take responsibility for the boundary when you bought the ground, or just ownership of the hedge? We had that discussion when we sold the wood earlier in the year. The purchasers wanted to take ownership of the boundary hedge, so it was agreed they took full responsibility for the boundary including maintaining the fence on our side of the hedge.

There's a double fenced hedge along our boundary with another (farming) neighbour and some belongs to him and some to me, but whoever's section it is has responsibility to maintain both fences and the hedge.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:05 am
Posts: 11350
Location: On the beach!
DaveJ wrote:
Did you take responsibility for the boundary when you bought the ground, or just ownership of the hedge? We had that discussion when we sold the wood earlier in the year. The purchasers wanted to take ownership of the boundary hedge, so it was agreed they took full responsibility for the boundary including maintaining the fence on our side of the hedge.

There's a double fenced hedge along our boundary with another (farming) neighbour and some belongs to him and some to me, but whoever's section it is has responsibility to maintain both fences and the hedge.


Now that's interesting. The purchasers have to maintain the fence on your side! Think I'm going to have to check that one out.

_________________
Out of Africa.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:58 pm
Posts: 1111
Seen a decent bit of fencing yesterday , It had a special feature where if you went near it this old van with about 6 nice chaps with scary guns came along and suggested you could fukc off and don't dare take any more pictures .
They would probably make sure your neighbours sheep stayed at home too :lol:


Attachments:
border fence.jpg
border fence.jpg [ 304.53 KiB | Viewed 582 times ]
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:02 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:36 pm
Posts: 367
Location: North Queensland Australia
In this wide brown land the owner of the live stock as Lord Muck said has to control hos or her live stock
but as others have stated getting anyone to enforce the law is a whole different ball game I know this straying stock has cost us over $180000 in damaged cane and we fight really hard with responsible people to do the right thing in the end we are slowly going out of cane to grow other crops that we can fence in

Paul

other than that slowly recycle the sheep thru your oven and dinner table


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:33 pm
Posts: 3464
Location: E Herts
defender wrote:
Seen a decent bit of fencing yesterday...




They've got a bit of a fence down Paul's way:



5614 kilometres is the total length of the Dingo Fence from Surfers Paradise, Qld to the Bight in Western Australia.
8614 kilometres was the total length of the Dingo Fence up until 1980, where due to repair costs it was shortened to its present length.
26.5 million hectares of sheep and cattle grazing country is what the Dingo Fence protects.
5,614,000 metres of wire mesh, that stands 180 centimetres in height and is a further 30 centimetres underground, was used to build the Dingo Fence.
623,777 wooden and steel posts hold the Dingo Fence together.

_________________
Hold still, it's nearly in.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 09, 2009 11:59 pm
Posts: 1728
Location: Workshop- where else?
Flintstone wrote:
defender wrote:
Seen a decent bit of fencing yesterday...




They've got a bit of a fence down Paul's way:



5614 kilometres is the total length of the Dingo Fence from Surfers Paradise, Qld to the Bight in Western Australia.
8614 kilometres was the total length of the Dingo Fence up until 1980, where due to repair costs it was shortened to its present length.
26.5 million hectares of sheep and cattle grazing country is what the Dingo Fence protects.
5,614,000 metres of wire mesh, that stands 180 centimetres in height and is a further 30 centimetres underground, was used to build the Dingo Fence.
623,777 wooden and steel posts hold the Dingo Fence together.




Thought you were speaking Brogan- Bingo this, than and everything then see its a D not a B :roll:

_________________
Best thing about Facebook is the logout button...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:13 pm
Posts: 3539
Location: Norfolk
footsfitter wrote:
Flintstone wrote:
defender wrote:
Seen a decent bit of fencing yesterday...




They've got a bit of a fence down Paul's way:



5614 kilometres is the total length of the Dingo Fence from Surfers Paradise, Qld to the Bight in Western Australia.
8614 kilometres was the total length of the Dingo Fence up until 1980, where due to repair costs it was shortened to its present length.
26.5 million hectares of sheep and cattle grazing country is what the Dingo Fence protects.
5,614,000 metres of wire mesh, that stands 180 centimetres in height and is a further 30 centimetres underground, was used to build the Dingo Fence.
623,777 wooden and steel posts hold the Dingo Fence together.




Thought you were speaking Brogan- Bingo this, than and everything then see its a D not a B :roll:

Should have gone to Specsavers, Bilbo. :)

_________________
Here we go again, hold tight.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic 
 [ 28 posts ] 
Post new topic  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group Color scheme by ColorizeIt!