Farming Forum UK

A forum for farmers and country-folk worldwide.
It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:20 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Sucklers, finishing etc
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:50 pm 

Now, I have always been a crop grower, be it cereals or field veg. I have helped friends, neighbours and family doing livestock stuff particulaly dipping sheep back in the comp. day. I have had a number of pigs for the last four years but that is pretty much it.
The plan with moving to France was to turn it "back" to an arable farm. It was aparently so, some 15+ years ago. For a number of reasons :roll: , I ended up buying the herd of Limousins. This is sort of two small herds of cows running "perm" with two bulls amounting to 48 cows. There were 10 just 2 year old heifers to add to the herd which has just been done. Merry Christmas Mr bull :) . I also have a further 15 heifers just weaned, so if cash flow can stand it, they can increase the herd next year. My thinking being I need 80 cows to make a living. Some of the herd are getting on a bit so replacements will also be required plus, this herd has a very good reputation locally so there always seem to be folks after heifers here,(and the odd bull come to that), so the females are pretty much taken care of for a year or three.
So, what is best to do with the bulls? Basically, here, plus due to the size at weaning (large cows and creep feeding) the stores can go at weaning for E900. I brought a trailer or two of Trit here anyway because I couldnt sell it this year :roll: , so I am keeping the current bulls, mixing Trit with a 26% pellet at 4/1 and all the hay they want. We are not experienced by any stretch of the imagination so are not looking for problems so are only feeding aroung 2Kg at the mo. Bulls are around 400 Kg - 8/9 months. Also if they go for killing rather than stores we get a E60 sub. Plan is to raise the feed to 3Kg, we were getting it up and they went shitty so cut back again.
Is there any point in growing on these bulls? If so what could I do to do it better? I am also aware there is a growing problem in the UK at killing?price of bulls past 16 months whereas here the price per Kg seems to drop at 18 months.
Must say - theres much more work to looking after these few cows than I thought :roll: but hopefully we will find a better routine :)

Cheers (a bientot)

Reply to topic 
 [ 1 post ]