Farming Forum UK

A forum for farmers and country-folk worldwide.
It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:22 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Wooly things
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:18 pm 

I have a field let out to a man who likes wooly things,
Now I know very little about these things, but this field is full of wooly thing that have been dropping small wooly things out the back, most have two but a lot have three, now these little wooly things have been produced out side in the field, but what surprises me is how late they are and so far it's taken five weeks for them to lamb and they are still not finished.
Is this normal?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:14 pm 

It is late, but then he is lambing in good weather with lots of grass under them and will probably sell them next year when the price peaks so it's not that daft.

Post subject: Re: Wooly things
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 9:33 pm 

Tel wrote:
I have a field let out to a man who likes wooly things,
Now I know very little about these things, but this field is full of wooly thing that have been dropping small wooly things out the back, most have two but a lot have three, now these little wooly things have been produced out side in the field, but what surprises me is how late they are and so far it's taken five weeks for them to lamb and they are still not finished.
Is this normal?

It isn't exactly normal in a lowland area, but would be perfectly so in the Pennines. There's a lot to be said for lambing when it's a bit warmer and when there's plenty of grass: OK you won't get premium lamb prices, but if you're selling direct, or selling or marketing stores, then it's OK.

Sheep cycle every 17 days approximately, so even without any failures to get pregnant at first go, that would give near enough 34 days, and to allow for stragglers that probably ought to go up to 50 days. OK you can tighten that up by various means, and we synchronise and lamb over one long weekend (Friday to Monday night) but with some management styles it does no harm having them go pop over a longer period.

Reply to topic 
 [ 3 posts ]