Farming Forum UK

A forum for farmers and country-folk worldwide.
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:37 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:33 pm
Posts: 3685
Location: E Herts
Watching telly last night I resorted to some tosh presented by two blokes called Jimmy and.......can't remember. Jamie-something-or-other-with-a-lisp whose dad has a pub in Essex.

Aaaanyway, before I lost interest about two minutes in they interviewed a peri-peri chicken shop seller who reckoned there's a market for free range chicken but due to supplyanddemand the price is too high.

Now I can't for one minute believe that your average pisshead staggering home from a night out is going to pay double for a kebab based upon the welfare of the chook but (wets and raises finger) I've a feeling that your average, middle class punter would prefer to eat something that's not been reared in a bat cave and pumped full of brine but my (limited) research on the internet suggests there's no money to be made, people will revert to the pale lumps on a styrofoam tray.

So which is it?

_________________
Hold still, it's nearly in.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:18 am
Posts: 7977
Location: Schizophrenia-Just this side of the border
Free range here is defined as the birds having access to the outside after a few weeks in confinement.

Problem is, the may be only one small door and the birds are afraid to go out.

Excerpt :

Birds Raised for Meat
Birds raised for meat may be sold as “free-range” if they have government certified access to the outdoors. The door may be open for only five minutes and the farm still qualifies as “free-range.” Apart from the “open door,” no other criteria such as environmental quality, number of birds, or space per bird, are included in the term “free-range.” A government official said: “Places I’ve visited may have just a gravel yard with no alfalfa or other vegetation.”

_________________
Measure twice, cut once, curse, repeat.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:50 pm
Posts: 11993
Location: Littlehay
Flintstone wrote:
Watching telly last night I resorted to some tosh presented by two blokes called Jimmy and.......can't remember. Jamie-something-or-other-with-a-lisp whose dad has a pub in Essex.

Aaaanyway, before I lost interest about two minutes in they interviewed a peri-peri chicken shop seller who reckoned there's a market for free range chicken but due to supplyanddemand the price is too high.

Now I can't for one minute believe that your average pisshead staggering home from a night out is going to pay double for a kebab based upon the welfare of the chook but (wets and raises finger) I've a feeling that your average, middle class punter would prefer to eat something that's not been reared in a bat cave and pumped full of brine but my (limited) research on the internet suggests there's no money to be made, people will revert to the pale lumps on a styrofoam tray.

So which is it?



You've got it about right, Fred.

The average tattooed 'T' shirted muscle bound shaven headed yob on his way home after fifteen pints of lager wouldn't give a shit what he was eating - in fact, it could probably be shit and he wouldn't notice; but the Islington Set - Justin, Mellissa, and their children Tarquin and Hermione, would, of course, expect only the freshest of meat, reared in a free range way where the chickens are happy little chooks with no restrictions on their movements. (Bit like illegals coming from Africa)

Of course, they don't want to pay any extra for the said produce, and whilst they may pay lip service to 'free range' they probably stuff little Tarquin and Hermione with the self same mass produced chicken suitably coated with peri-peri sauce to disguise the fact that it is even chicken!!

_________________
Full English Brexit, please!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:33 pm
Posts: 3685
Location: E Herts
Well there goes my business plan. I could have fitted at least three crooks into my garden.

_________________
Hold still, it's nearly in.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:50 pm
Posts: 11993
Location: Littlehay
Flintstone wrote:
Well there goes my business plan. I could have fitted at least three crooks into my garden.


Believe me, that will pay better than chooks.....................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

_________________
Full English Brexit, please!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:33 pm
Posts: 3685
Location: E Herts
Coltheox wrote:
Flintstone wrote:
Well there goes my business plan. I could have fitted at least three crooks into my garden.


Believe me, that will pay better than chooks.....................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!




Oh Col, you're such a card.

No, wait. I meant twat. :D

_________________
Hold still, it's nearly in.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:13 pm
Posts: 3840
Location: Norfolk
Flintstone wrote:
Coltheox wrote:
Flintstone wrote:
Well there goes my business plan. I could have fitted at least three crooks into my garden.


Believe me, that will pay better than chooks.....................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!




Oh Col, you're such a card.

No, wait. I meant twat. :D

Or a caaaaar......

_________________
Here we go again, hold tight.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:33 pm
Posts: 3685
Location: E Herts
NQIT wrote:
Flintstone wrote:
Coltheox wrote:
Flintstone wrote:
Well there goes my business plan. I could have fitted at least three crooks into my garden.


Believe me, that will pay better than chooks.....................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!




Oh Col, you're such a card.

No, wait. I meant twat. :D

Or a caaaaar......



Don't upset him, he's buying me lunch at Gog Magog.

_________________
Hold still, it's nearly in.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 11:21 pm
Posts: 7435
Location: beds
Free range chicken is some tough
ol' shite. I don't want my nuggets walking about

_________________
No one can steer like this Ffuker.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:18 am
Posts: 7977
Location: Schizophrenia-Just this side of the border
graybo wrote:
Free range chicken is some tough
ol' shite. I don't want my nuggets walking about



I went with boxers.

_________________
Measure twice, cut once, curse, repeat.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 11:21 pm
Posts: 7435
Location: beds
McFarmer wrote:
graybo wrote:
Free range chicken is some tough
ol' shite. I don't want my nuggets walking about



I went with boxers.


Commando for me

_________________
No one can steer like this Ffuker.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:53 pm
Posts: 4083
Location: Location: Location:
Please don't get me started on bloody free range milk! :x :x :x :x :x :x


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:18 am
Posts: 7977
Location: Schizophrenia-Just this side of the border
The Squire wrote:
Please don't get me started on bloody free range milk! :x :x :x :x :x :x



The topic has changed Squit, please keep up.

Now how do you stand ? Commando or boxers ?

_________________
Measure twice, cut once, curse, repeat.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:33 pm
Posts: 3685
Location: E Herts
McFarmer wrote:
The Squire wrote:
Please don't get me started on bloody free range milk! :x :x :x :x :x :x



The topic has changed Squit, please keep up.

Now how do you stand ? Commando or boxers ?


Or a thong?

_________________
Hold still, it's nearly in.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:36 pm
Posts: 7173
Location: Megawatt valley
The Squire wrote:
Please don't get me started on bloody free range milk! :x :x :x :x :x :x


WTF?

_________________
Taxi Willy,he's a hero...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic 
 [ 18 posts ] 
Post new topic  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group Color scheme by ColorizeIt!