Farming Forum UK

A forum for farmers and country-folk worldwide.
It is currently Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:16 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Week old chick?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:48 pm 

Got the above, we think the fox had its mother today, what is the best way to look after it.

Post subject: Re: Week old chick?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:52 pm 

JM wrote:
Got the above, we think the fox had its mother today, what is the best way to look after it.

Keep feeding it chickens. Before long its brushy tail will look spendid and it will be a fantstic looking fox. 8)

Joking aside, i have done similar and fed them chick crumbs and kept them in a warm box inside the house.
Once they get past 2-3 weeks then their chances improve greatly. :wink:
Joyce might have some ideas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:55 pm 

Thanks for the vote of confidence LM - if it's a chook chick then yes, keep warm, small bowl of clean water possibly with stones in it so chick can't drown, plus chick crumbs scattered, or in another container.

If it won't feed soak a bit of dried dog food in water and gently feed bits of it by hand until chick gains strength.
Usually chook chicks peck at anything but if it's traumatised it might not.

For any traumatised bird a pinch of glucose in a bit of water is a good pick me up - drop on finger or artists' type paint brush just touched to side of beak will go into mouth without risk of choking.

If it's not a chook try and identify, but again I've used soaked dried dog food to rear several species of chicks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:56 pm 

See - I knew you would know what to do. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:28 pm 

Is it too late to get some week old cockerels and have them ready for Xmas? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:35 pm 

Northampton Steve wrote:
Is it too late to get some week old cockerels and have them ready for Xmas? :?:

Bit late, but if you feed them well they should be ready. Sort of destroys the object of letting them grow a bit slower and hence getting a better flavour and texture though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:05 pm 

Tragedy :!:, and it was all going so well, my youngest daughter came home today and found the chick had died :cry: . Anyhow funeral service probably tomorrow after school or maybe saturday morning, depends when I get round to digging a hole, if the cat finds it first then not at all. Your all welcome, dress code all yellow its what it would have wanted,. The wake will be at Chicken Eddies fast food takeaway in Haverfordwest, please show some respect and refrain from fighting outside on the street. See you there JM. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:43 pm 

JM wrote:
Tragedy :!:, and it was all going so well, my youngest daughter came home today and found the chick had died :cry: . Anyhow funeral service probably tomorrow after school or maybe saturday morning, depends when I get round to digging a hole, if the cat finds it first then not at all. Your all welcome, dress code all yellow its what it would have wanted,. The wake will be at Chicken Eddies fast food takeaway in Haverfordwest, please show some respect and refrain from fighting outside on the street. See you there JM. 8)

That's a shame esp after 3 weeks....what happened?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:50 pm 

Joyce wrote:
JM wrote:

Well the heat lamp was not on, think the bulb may have blown, such a shame as my youngest was very fond of it, taking it over to see Grandma and letting it run round the kitchen floor, just wondering where to get another one. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:59 pm 

JM wrote:
Joyce wrote:
JM wrote:

Well the heat lamp was not on, think the bulb may have blown, such a shame as my youngest was very fond of it, taking it over to see Grandma and letting it run round the kitchen floor, just wondering where to get another one. :(

I usually use a red 40w light bulb over a cardboard box. I bought 2 special heat lamps and each one only lasted a fraction of the time, one blowing and nearly killing the chicks because of sudden loss of temp.
My set up is very Heath Robinson - a plank of wood with a hole in it, loop of cable pushed through from underneath so that it can be adjusted, and an ordinary pendant type light fitting....never had it fail....unlike the more expensive lights.
Better luck next time.

Reply to topic 
 [ 10 posts ]