Farming Forum UK

A forum for farmers and country-folk worldwide.
It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:12 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:05 am
Posts: 11477
Location: On the beach!
Went round the farm this morning with the lady from our local Barn Owl Conservation Group. A thing we've done yearly for maybe five years. We put up four purpose built boxes all that time ago, and have not had a sniff. Even though the neighbours on two sides do have breeding pairs.
Our boxes are well away from anywhere. With the nearest road maybe a kilometre away.
But today we have success. :D We've had some in over the winter, even though they are not currently in residence. Plenty of pellets in the box containing vole skeletons.

It's nice to know that they are about. Have you got any?

_________________
Out of Africa.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:02 pm
Posts: 6160
Location: south Suffolk
No, sadly. There is the one-eyed Tawny owl which lives in the garden shed, plus several wild Tawny owls, and I noticed that the Little Owls arrived back last week, but no Barn owls. Given that Julie is quite good at sorting out injured birds, and our place ought to be able to support a pair these days, we keep wondering about getting an injured one (or even a pair) via the Barn Owl Trust, and looking after/feeding it in the barn for a while before letting it go. We've lived in our present place for over 20 years, but I've never heard or seen a Barn Owl on the property in all that time, despite knowing there's lots within about 5 miles.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:05 pm
Posts: 10459
Location: The Zone
There are no barn owls in the buildings, but they are about. I normally see them in late August in the evening. Could do with a peregrine falcon moving into the yard now that my Pigeon Removal Device took a ride in a grain lorry

_________________
keep honking, I'm reloading


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:41 pm
Posts: 35
We have a pair of barn owls which have for three years nested in a an old larch tree which is hollow. A pair of buzzards have started to nest on another larch in the same wood. I dont think the young owls will have a chance to grow up, as the buzzards have taken nearly all the rabbits and pigeons here this winter.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:18 am
Posts: 7859
Location: Schizophrenia-Just this side of the border
bopeep wrote:
We have a pair of barn owls which have for three years nested in a an old larch tree which is hollow. A pair of buzzards have started to nest on another larch in the same wood. I dont think the young owls will have a chance to grow up, as the buzzards have taken nearly all the rabbits and pigeons here this winter.


Your buzzards kill things ?

_________________
Measure twice, cut once, curse, repeat.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:25 pm
Posts: 3344
Location: Bugger only knows
Have barn owls about,they even hunt in the buildings,but don't nest in them,we have resident little owls.

It's nice to see the barn owls hunting the grass margins at dusk. 8)

_________________
As the actress said to the bishop.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:46 pm
Posts: 7020
Location: Eat Anglia
several barn owls round me; but the estate is very run down, with several derelict buildings, and lots of rough bits of grassland for Barny to hunt in. I was walking the dog down to Hen Coop wood the other morning, which has about 10 acres of old meadow next to it. Barny was slowly flying along the hedgerow up the cart track, no more than 5 foot off the ground, on the other side of the hedge - completely oblivios to e an the dog until the last minute - we got within about 5 yards of it.

sadly, I saw one dead by the side of the road t'other day. they do like to hunt along the roadside verges, and the speed some of the twats goo around here it's not surprising. still, there are quite a foo of em abowt.

On another tack, I am surprised to see quite so many dead badgers by the side of the A12 - they must have had heart attacks when crossing the road, because they sure as hell haven't been hit by cars or trucks.......anyway, what the hell are badgers doing in East Suffolk? they're not wanted round here, they dont belong

_________________
I'm nearly there......but not quite


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:05 am
Posts: 11477
Location: On the beach!
Fat Hill wrote:
sadly, I saw one dead by the side of the road t'other day. they do like to hunt along the roadside verges, and the speed some of the twats goo around here it's not surprising. still, there are quite a foo of em abowt.


Many round here are now getting the hedges up to 6 feet in height purely so that "Barny" has to gain altitude and the cars go underneath him as he crosses the road. If he meets a Double decker he's had it :(

_________________
Out of Africa.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:02 pm
Posts: 6160
Location: south Suffolk
Ragwort wrote:
Fat Hill wrote:
sadly, I saw one dead by the side of the road t'other day. they do like to hunt along the roadside verges, and the speed some of the twats goo around here it's not surprising. still, there are quite a foo of em abowt.


Many round here are now getting the hedges up to 6 feet in height purely so that "Barny" has to gain altitude and the cars go underneath him as he crosses the road. If he meets a Double decker he's had it :(


Sounds a harmless idea at worst. Let's hope it works.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:27 pm
Posts: 18
very rare on my rounds in hants!!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 6:22 pm
Posts: 8414
Location: Norfolk, God's chosen county
Loads here, do you want some?

_________________
Don't hit me with those negative waves so early in the morning.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:21 pm
Posts: 24245
Lumpkin wrote:
Loads here, do you want some?


With mighty wingspan ?

_________________
Lovely, lovely, lovely....hahahahaha


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 6:22 pm
Posts: 8414
Location: Norfolk, God's chosen county
Lord Muck wrote:
Lumpkin wrote:
Loads here, do you want some?


With mighty wingspan ?


That's the Holy Harnser of Dilham.

_________________
Don't hit me with those negative waves so early in the morning.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:21 pm
Posts: 24245
Lumpkin wrote:
Lord Muck wrote:
Lumpkin wrote:
Loads here, do you want some?


With mighty wingspan ?


That's the Holy Harnser of Dilham.


Peace on his Gretol beak. 8)

_________________
Lovely, lovely, lovely....hahahahaha


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:36 pm
Posts: 7151
Location: Megawatt valley
Ragwort wrote:
Went round the farm this morning with the lady from our local Barn Owl Conservation Group. A thing we've done yearly for maybe five years. We put up four purpose built boxes all that time ago, and have not had a sniff. Even though the neighbours on two sides do have breeding pairs.
Our boxes are well away from anywhere. With the nearest road maybe a kilometre away.
But today we have success. :D We've had some in over the winter, even though they are not currently in residence. Plenty of pellets in the box containing vole skeletons.

It's nice to know that they are about. Have you got any?


Not personally,but am seeing them at least twice a day whilst working where I am at the minute.Fantastic to watch,one of the old buggers landed on the binders of a bit of hedge i'd just finished but I couldn't get the camera out quick enough.That would have been the shot of a lifetime.

_________________
Taxi Willy,he's a hero...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic 
 [ 21 posts ] 
Post new topic  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group Color scheme by ColorizeIt!