Farming Forum UK

A forum for farmers and country-folk worldwide.
It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:12 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:26 pm 

Went round the farm this morning with the lady from our local Barn Owl Conservation Group. A thing we've done yearly for maybe five years. We put up four purpose built boxes all that time ago, and have not had a sniff. Even though the neighbours on two sides do have breeding pairs.
Our boxes are well away from anywhere. With the nearest road maybe a kilometre away.
But today we have success. :D We've had some in over the winter, even though they are not currently in residence. Plenty of pellets in the box containing vole skeletons.

It's nice to know that they are about. Have you got any?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:43 pm 

No, sadly. There is the one-eyed Tawny owl which lives in the garden shed, plus several wild Tawny owls, and I noticed that the Little Owls arrived back last week, but no Barn owls. Given that Julie is quite good at sorting out injured birds, and our place ought to be able to support a pair these days, we keep wondering about getting an injured one (or even a pair) via the Barn Owl Trust, and looking after/feeding it in the barn for a while before letting it go. We've lived in our present place for over 20 years, but I've never heard or seen a Barn Owl on the property in all that time, despite knowing there's lots within about 5 miles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:23 pm 

There are no barn owls in the buildings, but they are about. I normally see them in late August in the evening. Could do with a peregrine falcon moving into the yard now that my Pigeon Removal Device took a ride in a grain lorry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:07 pm 

We have a pair of barn owls which have for three years nested in a an old larch tree which is hollow. A pair of buzzards have started to nest on another larch in the same wood. I dont think the young owls will have a chance to grow up, as the buzzards have taken nearly all the rabbits and pigeons here this winter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:43 pm 

bopeep wrote:
We have a pair of barn owls which have for three years nested in a an old larch tree which is hollow. A pair of buzzards have started to nest on another larch in the same wood. I dont think the young owls will have a chance to grow up, as the buzzards have taken nearly all the rabbits and pigeons here this winter.

Your buzzards kill things ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:07 am 

Have barn owls about,they even hunt in the buildings,but don't nest in them,we have resident little owls.

It's nice to see the barn owls hunting the grass margins at dusk. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:35 am 

several barn owls round me; but the estate is very run down, with several derelict buildings, and lots of rough bits of grassland for Barny to hunt in. I was walking the dog down to Hen Coop wood the other morning, which has about 10 acres of old meadow next to it. Barny was slowly flying along the hedgerow up the cart track, no more than 5 foot off the ground, on the other side of the hedge - completely oblivios to e an the dog until the last minute - we got within about 5 yards of it.

sadly, I saw one dead by the side of the road t'other day. they do like to hunt along the roadside verges, and the speed some of the twats goo around here it's not surprising. still, there are quite a foo of em abowt.

On another tack, I am surprised to see quite so many dead badgers by the side of the A12 - they must have had heart attacks when crossing the road, because they sure as hell haven't been hit by cars or trucks.......anyway, what the hell are badgers doing in East Suffolk? they're not wanted round here, they dont belong

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:44 pm 

Fat Hill wrote:
sadly, I saw one dead by the side of the road t'other day. they do like to hunt along the roadside verges, and the speed some of the twats goo around here it's not surprising. still, there are quite a foo of em abowt.

Many round here are now getting the hedges up to 6 feet in height purely so that "Barny" has to gain altitude and the cars go underneath him as he crosses the road. If he meets a Double decker he's had it :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:51 pm 

Ragwort wrote:
Fat Hill wrote:

Many round here are now getting the hedges up to 6 feet in height purely so that "Barny" has to gain altitude and the cars go underneath him as he crosses the road. If he meets a Double decker he's had it :(

Sounds a harmless idea at worst. Let's hope it works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:48 pm 

very rare on my rounds in hants!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:56 pm 

Loads here, do you want some?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:57 pm 

Lumpkin wrote:

With mighty wingspan ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:57 pm 

Lord Muck wrote:
Lumpkin wrote:

With mighty wingspan ?

That's the Holy Harnser of Dilham.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:59 pm 

Lumpkin wrote:
Lord Muck wrote:
Lumpkin wrote:

With mighty wingspan ?

That's the Holy Harnser of Dilham.

Peace on his Gretol beak. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:35 pm 

Ragwort wrote:
Went round the farm this morning with the lady from our local Barn Owl Conservation Group. A thing we've done yearly for maybe five years. We put up four purpose built boxes all that time ago, and have not had a sniff. Even though the neighbours on two sides do have breeding pairs.
Our boxes are well away from anywhere. With the nearest road maybe a kilometre away.
But today we have success. :D We've had some in over the winter, even though they are not currently in residence. Plenty of pellets in the box containing vole skeletons.

It's nice to know that they are about. Have you got any?

Not personally,but am seeing them at least twice a day whilst working where I am at the minute.Fantastic to watch,one of the old buggers landed on the binders of a bit of hedge i'd just finished but I couldn't get the camera out quick enough.That would have been the shot of a lifetime.

Reply to topic 
 [ 21 posts ]