Farming Forum UK

A forum for farmers and country-folk worldwide.
It is currently Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:26 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Lapwings
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:16 am 

Anyone got any breeding pairs of lapwings in recent years ? Have any stayed on your wetter/marshier areas ?

Post subject: Re: Lapwings
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:43 am 

Lord Muck wrote:
Anyone got any breeding pairs of lapwings in recent years ? Have any stayed on your wetter/marshier areas ?

we've had some, not necessarily on marsh but on lower wetter ground
had some on a field that was ploughed out of grass for wheat but it got too late/wet to sow, so we sowed it with spring barley + grass seeds & they liked that

also on a neighbouring field we undersowed in the same way we have had skylarks, flocks of them which our HLS advisor said she'd not seen before

barley/grass is mown and silaged in June - not really true whole crop just green bulk for the cows
then we get a nice lush clovery aftermath for grazing which is ideal for the cows
the barley stubble then secondary tillers, (which the cows leave alone) and eventually mature in the autumn and the birds love it
also the mix of barley and grass seeds encourages saw flies = more bird food
clever thing nature :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:00 pm 

I had stacks during the Autumn. But they seem to have disappeared now.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:29 pm 

Lord Muck wrote:

Used to have. Until NE and RSPB fecked around with water levels (ie raised it). Said Lapwing got pissed off with getting their arses wet and have since buggered off. This was on a maize stubble (now to wet to grow maize, as well as breed lapwing).

Dorks.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:00 pm 

Moors Farmer wrote:
Lord Muck wrote:

Used to have. Until NE and RSPB fecked around with water levels (ie raised it). Said Lapwing got pissed off with getting their arses wet and have since buggered off. This was on a maize stubble (now to wet to grow maize, as well as breed lapwing).

Dorks.

Interesting.
I am a strong believer that although areas should be wet (by which i mean allocated areas, ponds, scrapes etc) they should not be turned into swamps and resevoirs which seems what a lot of the dim-shits at NE and the RSPB seem to think. This mainly comes from not having any rural experience. Counting a few birds does not make up for a life time of working alongside nature. :wink:

Its about bloody time some of these tossers realised this and started taking heed to those who know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:36 pm 

Got lots of tits on my table does that count :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:37 pm 

Pilgrim wrote:

We seem to have a few on this forum... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:21 pm 

We had several breeding pairs last year on the contracting land. They were all nesting on some boggy grassland except the one pair that found the broken drain in a field of rape and chose to nest just next to were the water was bubbling up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:37 pm 

Pilgrim wrote:

and a chough ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:45 am 

Pilgrim wrote:

After my observation over many years and bearing in mind the time of year and the low temperatures we've been having,I think they may be blue tits. :o

We have breeding pairs of Lapwings in most of our fields,they return every year to nest in the same field,even in crops.

Have found them nesting in crops from potatoes to winter cereals.

The RSPB haven't the foggiest idea what is best for birds,they do bird counts,mainly,in peoples back gardens,what use is that.

In the days of Setaside we got a derogation every year to create a fallow in Feb for lapwings to nest.

The powers that be granted the derogation after consulting the RSPB,who said this was ideal for Lapwings.

This went on for several years until we were told we could no longer have the derogation because,as the RSPB had changed it's mind and this was no longer what Lapwings needed. Wankers.

We are now being paid to create fallows in Feb/early March for Lapwing nesting sites.This after the forerunner to Natural England consulted with the RSPB who had changed their minds again. :roll:

From my experience with Natural England they seem to do everything from a book.

When we applied for the Lapwing option in CSS we were told as our land wasn't limestone which is were Lapwings nested we couldn't have it.

I told em nobody had told the Lapwings that nested on our land and could they come and tell them. :)

When they came out I took them to a small piece of fallow between some spuds and peas,about 3 acres,it was covered in Lapwings,they did me proud.

The adviser said she had never seen as many Lapwings,even on limestone,and we were granted the Lapwing option. :)

They also say Lapwings aren't supposed to nest in growing crops. :roll:

Reply to topic 
 [ 10 posts ]