Farming Forum UK

A forum for farmers and country-folk worldwide.
It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:40 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Windows 10?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:29 am 

My laptop keeps asking me if I want to update to windows 10, do I? :?

Post subject: Re: Windows 10?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:35 am 

No.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:23 pm 

I did. Didnt make any difference on my laptop. Aren't they going to start charging for it soon?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:39 pm 

Raggy wrote:
I did. Didnt make any difference on my laptop. Aren't they going to start charging for it soon?

It did make some difference in the background, although the user interface is virtually unchanged. Now, everthing you do on your laptop is being relayed back to Microsoft, this is part of Windows 10. Bank transactions etc. should be thoroughly encrypted, and therefore not of much use to Microsoft, but they've got the files: can you guarantee some bent Microsoft employee doesn't find the files and then spend a lot of time decryping them? No, of course not. I would NOT use any computer running Windows 10 for anything confidential, or indeed anything involving transfer of money.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:47 pm 

JM wrote:
My laptop keeps asking me if I want to update to windows 10, do I? :?

It was free, correct ?

When has Microsoft ever done anything for free ? You will pay for it, you may not know how, but as others have said, you will pay.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:55 pm 

Exactly. Why do you think they bought LinkedIn? Not because it's profitable that's fer shur. It's because it gives them access to the sort of people they want to tap up for business in the future.

I'm going to get an apple. That will screw microsofts ambitions. I don't want to. Be beholden to big business :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:27 am 

Fat Hill wrote:
Exactly. Why do you think they bought LinkedIn? Not because it's profitable that's fer shur. It's because it gives them access to the sort of people they want to tap up for business in the future.

I'm going to get an apple. That will screw microsofts ambitions. I don't want to. Be beholden to big business :roll:

Hey, my life got a lot simpler after biting the Apple. It just works. No, you can't go in and tweak or that
it just does what it does.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:18 pm 

Windows 10 is much better than Windows 8 on a lap top anyway. My Girlfriend says it is no less secure than any other OS. At least that's what I think she said, most of it was a load of techy guff :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:36 pm 

The Pretender wrote:
Windows 10 is much better than Windows 8 on a lap top anyway. My Girlfriend says it is no less secure than any other OS. At least that's what I think she said, most of it was a load of techy guff :roll:

Did you have to give her your credit card details to get her back on your PC screen ?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:52 pm 

Lord Muck wrote:
The Pretender wrote:

Did you have to give her your credit card details to get her back on your PC screen ?

Yes. Most people get a 4 grand credit card bill, don't they?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:05 pm 

The Pretender wrote:
Lord Muck wrote:
The Pretender wrote:

Mine was nearer 7 but you have to pay extra for certain outfits.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:32 pm 

Lord Muck wrote:
The Pretender wrote:
Lord Muck wrote:
The Pretender wrote:

You told me I was the only one.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:34 pm 

Would it make things better if I told you I'd lied to others and not just you ?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:52 pm 

McFarmer wrote:
Lord Muck wrote:
The Pretender wrote:
Lord Muck wrote:
The Pretender wrote:

You told me I was the only one.

You probably were at that time.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:44 pm 

RGSP wrote:
Raggy wrote:

It did make some difference in the background, although the user interface is virtually unchanged. Now, everthing you do on your laptop is being relayed back to Microsoft, this is part of Windows 10. Bank transactions etc. should be thoroughly encrypted, and therefore not of much use to Microsoft, but they've got the files: can you guarantee some bent Microsoft employee doesn't find the files and then spend a lot of time decryping them? No, of course not. I would NOT use any computer running Windows 10 for anything confidential, or indeed anything involving transfer of money.

Personally, I would prefer Windows 10 Professional and Enterprise editions if I was going to do any bank transfers or handling of confidential information for one reason:

There is a flaw in the standard implementations (Versions 3 to 5, 5 being the current version) of the Kerberos protocol (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerberos_%28protocol%29) which is used by all vendors (Mac, Linux, UNIX, iOS, Android, Microsoft etc.) which means that pretty well anyone with more than three brain cells can download and deploy a tool like mimikatz (it's the friendly (tame) version of a set of tools commonly deployed by criminals as a rootkit which can transparently capture plain text passwords in Kerberos packets). The best encryption in the world is junk if the hacker has the passwords and keys.

If one vendor fixes the hole in Kerberos, their systems will be unable to communicate with other vendors who have not fixed the hole, so until the protocol is updated and deployed by all vendors as an update, everything will remain vulnerable. This hole has been in Kerberos since the mid 1990s and is by far the biggest cause of hacker theft from compromised systems. It has really only become relevant in the last few years with the rise in Internet commerce and online banking and payment. So far, only Microsoft in Windows 10 Professional and Enterprise editions have actually fixed this hole by putting a second stage of encryption in place through the running of a virtualised cut down copy of the Windows 10 kernel in a separate isolated memory space. If you are going to Windows 10, get the Professional edition, not home or whatever else. Enterprise is only available as part of corporate licensing schemes.

Reply to topic 
 [ 25 posts ]