Boundaries and their maintenance.

Livestock discussion in here... ("moo", "baaa", "oink")
User avatar
Raggy
Posts: 11953
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:05 am
Location: On the beach!

Boundaries and their maintenance.

Post by Raggy » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:36 pm

This question could go in so many categories. But I've chosen this one.......

I have an arable field. Currently growing Osr.
At its edge there is a ditch. Then there is a hedge. Then (on the neighbours side) is some poorly maintained sheep netting.
The neighbour rents out this (150ac) field, and with little grass they are happiest when they have broken through onto my Osr and can have a bite at that.
The hedge is ours. No question. That was part of the deal when the land was purchased.
But who is responsible for making sure the sheep don't eat my crops?
Fasten your seatbelts. We're off.

NQIT
Posts: 4898
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:13 pm
Location: Norfolk

Re: Boundaries and their maintenance.

Post by NQIT » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:42 pm

I believe that the owner of livestock is obliged to keep them under control ie not roam the countryside. How they control them is up to them. Fence, hedge, whatever.
Whip some ffuks into him.
Here we go again, hold tight.

The Pretender
Posts: 11434
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:05 pm
Location: The Zone
Contact:

Re: Boundaries and their maintenance.

Post by The Pretender » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:11 pm

NQIT wrote:I believe that the owner of livestock is obliged to keep them under control ie not roam the countryside. How they control them is up to them. Fence, hedge, whatever.
Whip some ffuks into him.
^^^^^^^^

This.
keep honking, I'm reloading

User avatar
Bloomers
Posts: 7239
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:36 pm
Location: Megawatt valley

Re: Boundaries and their maintenance.

Post by Bloomers » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:43 pm

The Pretender wrote:
NQIT wrote:I believe that the owner of livestock is obliged to keep them under control ie not roam the countryside. How they control them is up to them. Fence, hedge, whatever.
Whip some ffuks into him.
^^^^^^^^

This.

+1
Taxi Willy,he's a hero...

User avatar
Tel
Posts: 3351
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:45 pm

Re: Boundaries and their maintenance.

Post by Tel » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:36 pm

I always thought it was down to the landowner, he owns the land and the fence.
I always wrote into any grazing licence that the animal owner was liable for the fencing and his stock getting out.

User avatar
Raggy
Posts: 11953
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:05 am
Location: On the beach!

Re: Boundaries and their maintenance.

Post by Raggy » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:17 pm

Tel wrote:I always thought it was down to the landowner, he owns the land and the fence.
I always wrote into any grazing licence that the animal owner was liable for the fencing and his stock getting out.
The land is mine, as is the hedge even though it on the other side of the ditch which is in my field. It's the fencing after the hedge on the neighbours land which is causing the problem.
But like you, and others have said......people should fence for their own stock.
Fasten your seatbelts. We're off.

User avatar
Lord Muck
Posts: 24488
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:21 pm

Re: Boundaries and their maintenance.

Post by Lord Muck » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:51 am

In law, the owner (keeper) of any livestock has a duty of care to his/her animals.

Even if I rented land off you, in the middle of your farm and your farm was totally unfenced and my sheep got across your land, ate your crops, got across your neighbours, ate his and then jumped onto the M1, I, as the owner of the livestock I'm at fault as I have a duty of care to my animals.
It has nothing to do with your neighbour (apart from him having a bit of decency to his neighbours) it is squarely down to the owner of the livestock.

It's no different from walking a dog without a lead for a friend and then it biting a mong and you saying "But the owner didn't give me a lead"
Animal is in YOUR care.
It's a lovely day

User avatar
RGSP
Posts: 6243
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:02 pm
Location: south Suffolk

Re: Boundaries and their maintenance.

Post by RGSP » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:49 pm

There's no question about who is responsible for keeping livestock fenced in law. It's another matter enforcing it - rather more difficult than getting rid of Pikeys legally. Many farmers end up puttting their own fence in place to keep neighbour's livestock out, just because it's sometimes the easiest (and cheapest) thing to do.

DaveJ
Posts: 3634
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:47 pm
Location: crappest broadband in Powys

Re: Boundaries and their maintenance.

Post by DaveJ » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:24 pm

Did you take responsibility for the boundary when you bought the ground, or just ownership of the hedge? We had that discussion when we sold the wood earlier in the year. The purchasers wanted to take ownership of the boundary hedge, so it was agreed they took full responsibility for the boundary including maintaining the fence on our side of the hedge.

There's a double fenced hedge along our boundary with another (farming) neighbour and some belongs to him and some to me, but whoever's section it is has responsibility to maintain both fences and the hedge.

User avatar
Raggy
Posts: 11953
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:05 am
Location: On the beach!

Re: Boundaries and their maintenance.

Post by Raggy » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:31 pm

DaveJ wrote:Did you take responsibility for the boundary when you bought the ground, or just ownership of the hedge? We had that discussion when we sold the wood earlier in the year. The purchasers wanted to take ownership of the boundary hedge, so it was agreed they took full responsibility for the boundary including maintaining the fence on our side of the hedge.

There's a double fenced hedge along our boundary with another (farming) neighbour and some belongs to him and some to me, but whoever's section it is has responsibility to maintain both fences and the hedge.
Now that's interesting. The purchasers have to maintain the fence on your side! Think I'm going to have to check that one out.
Fasten your seatbelts. We're off.

defender
Posts: 1284
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:58 pm

Re: Boundaries and their maintenance.

Post by defender » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:08 pm

Seen a decent bit of fencing yesterday , It had a special feature where if you went near it this old van with about 6 nice chaps with scary guns came along and suggested you could fukc off and don't dare take any more pictures .
They would probably make sure your neighbours sheep stayed at home too :lol:
Attachments
border fence.jpg
border fence.jpg (304.53 KiB) Viewed 3405 times

User avatar
Paul Griffiths
Posts: 491
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:36 pm
Location: North Queensland Australia

Re: Boundaries and their maintenance.

Post by Paul Griffiths » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:02 am

In this wide brown land the owner of the live stock as Lord Muck said has to control hos or her live stock
but as others have stated getting anyone to enforce the law is a whole different ball game I know this straying stock has cost us over $180000 in damaged cane and we fight really hard with responsible people to do the right thing in the end we are slowly going out of cane to grow other crops that we can fence in

Paul

other than that slowly recycle the sheep thru your oven and dinner table

User avatar
Flintstone
Posts: 4392
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:33 pm
Location: E Herts

Re: Boundaries and their maintenance.

Post by Flintstone » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:40 pm

defender wrote:Seen a decent bit of fencing yesterday...


They've got a bit of a fence down Paul's way:



5614 kilometres is the total length of the Dingo Fence from Surfers Paradise, Qld to the Bight in Western Australia.
8614 kilometres was the total length of the Dingo Fence up until 1980, where due to repair costs it was shortened to its present length.
26.5 million hectares of sheep and cattle grazing country is what the Dingo Fence protects.
5,614,000 metres of wire mesh, that stands 180 centimetres in height and is a further 30 centimetres underground, was used to build the Dingo Fence.
623,777 wooden and steel posts hold the Dingo Fence together.
Hold still, it's nearly in.

User avatar
footsfitter
Posts: 2358
Joined: Sat May 09, 2009 11:59 pm
Location: Workshop- where else?

Re: Boundaries and their maintenance.

Post by footsfitter » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:47 pm

Flintstone wrote:
defender wrote:Seen a decent bit of fencing yesterday...


They've got a bit of a fence down Paul's way:



5614 kilometres is the total length of the Dingo Fence from Surfers Paradise, Qld to the Bight in Western Australia.
8614 kilometres was the total length of the Dingo Fence up until 1980, where due to repair costs it was shortened to its present length.
26.5 million hectares of sheep and cattle grazing country is what the Dingo Fence protects.
5,614,000 metres of wire mesh, that stands 180 centimetres in height and is a further 30 centimetres underground, was used to build the Dingo Fence.
623,777 wooden and steel posts hold the Dingo Fence together.


Thought you were speaking Brogan- Bingo this, than and everything then see its a D not a B :roll:
Best thing about Facebook is the logout button...

NQIT
Posts: 4898
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:13 pm
Location: Norfolk

Re: Boundaries and their maintenance.

Post by NQIT » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:44 am

footsfitter wrote:
Flintstone wrote:
defender wrote:Seen a decent bit of fencing yesterday...


They've got a bit of a fence down Paul's way:



5614 kilometres is the total length of the Dingo Fence from Surfers Paradise, Qld to the Bight in Western Australia.
8614 kilometres was the total length of the Dingo Fence up until 1980, where due to repair costs it was shortened to its present length.
26.5 million hectares of sheep and cattle grazing country is what the Dingo Fence protects.
5,614,000 metres of wire mesh, that stands 180 centimetres in height and is a further 30 centimetres underground, was used to build the Dingo Fence.
623,777 wooden and steel posts hold the Dingo Fence together.


Thought you were speaking Brogan- Bingo this, than and everything then see its a D not a B :roll:
Should have gone to Specsavers, Bilbo. :)
Here we go again, hold tight.

Post Reply