Farming Forum UK

A forum for farmers and country-folk worldwide.
It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:16 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: Harvest 2017
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:06 pm 

NQIT wrote:
The Pretender wrote:
We have finised everything I planted yesterday, but we still have the new owners linseed at ours and the linseed at his place. I gave up last night at about 6:30 when it was wrapping and wasn't thrashing very well anyway. We looked at it this morning and it was 16.6%, it's for seed, so that's no good. Not sure when we'll get done now, but expect well into October.

I have cut linseed at the end of November in frosty conditions! :)

I may find out if the Claas heater is as good as the furnaces that Case put in the 2100 and 2300 series

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:00 pm 

tried some wheat today to see if I could get a fill of the drier 34.5% , starting to sprout now
cut about 25 acres of barley at about 22 %
rain on again

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:28 pm 

nice day after lunch time , cut about 6 acres of swamp land before the combine bust a bearing
Last Saturday it set the main fuse board on fire , should have let the fukcer burn . the mechanic reckoned about £3k for that repair :o

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:23 pm 

yesterday got the combine finished with for another year , It will need some amount of washing before it gets put away ,concave , grain pan and all the augers are absolutely caked with shit
,it was so bad at one point the grain tank auger wouldn`t drive :o
I cut the first bit of this 6 weeks ago and been trying ever since , still standing though.
good job we finished it yesterday as someone knocked a parapet of the bridge and it is now closed completely
today got straw baled so only drier to keep busy for the next week

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:52 pm 

Thought I'd post a few last pictures of this harvest

This was taken at the Bank Holiday at the end of August near Barrington in Cambridgeshire Old(ish) Massey plodding through some wheat at dusk.

This was in the fens between Swaffham Prior and Upware on Bank Holiday Saturday.

And this was taken on the road between Burwell and Exning on the same Saturday.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:08 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:43 pm 

When I started this thread on June 18th, little did I know that this year was to prove one of the most frustrating harvests I can ever remember.

Way back then, crops looked promising. Both the oilseed rape and wheat looked as if they would be good. Some, but not much, would be harvested before the weather broke in the third week of July. Little were we to know that the weather, with the exception of the August Bank Holiday, would fail to settle down, and still really never has. Massive amounts of rain, torrential in some cases, left what were promising crops looking very sad, and virtually all quality gone.

Only recently, almost into October, have all the crops finally been harvested around here. Considering many started as long ago as early / mid July, this has to be one of the longest and drawn out harvests I can ever remember.

Ah, well, there is always next year. Farmers have to be optimists or not bother..............................

........................here's to next harvest being better than this one...................... :drunken:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:22 am 

Nearly into December with uncut grain and grass still to be done, donut it will happen now, biblical levels of rain this week, lands a unpassable and the guys with stuff left to do have written it off now and looking to source what they need, that is proving difficult.

40 quid for a 4ft round bale of straw anyone?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:20 am 

dust n diesel wrote:
Nearly into December with uncut grain and grass still to be done, donut it will happen now, biblical levels of rain this week, lands a unpassable and the guys with stuff left to do have written it off now and looking to source what they need, that is proving difficult.

40 quid for a 4ft round bale of straw anyone?

Our MD is an ex-aberdonian who reckoned it not unusual back in the 70's-80's to see finishing dashes in those rare dry spells either side of xmas!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:46 pm 

I was loading straw this week bound for Shetland , £ 15.60 for a 4x4 out of the field ,inside straw £26
and another £20 to get it there :cry:
ff there is no such thing as an ex aberdonian ,once a tight miserable cnut then that's always the case :lol: It is inbred to them . I am only visiting :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:31 pm 

defender wrote:
I was loading straw this week bound for Shetland , £ 15.60 for a 4x4 out of the field ,inside straw £26
and another £20 to get it there :cry:
ff there is no such thing as an ex aberdonian ,once a tight miserable cnut then that's always the case :lol: It is inbred to them . I am only visiting :lol:

Well he's fairly Ex now after 34 years down here but the scootsman breeding was hardened by working for Cessfords after he left uni :D

Reply to topic 
 [ 146 posts ]