Farming Forum UK

A forum for farmers and country-folk worldwide.
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:06 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Harvest 2018
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:27 am 

Nothing more frightening than a fire out of control, I reckon.

In the current conditions, I suppose you did well to keep it down to thirty acres.

It's a bastard, though.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:18 am 

As we slide into August in a couple of days, it is interesting to note that around this area, harvest seems to be well over half done. Although there is still wheat to harvest, I reckon the majority of it has been done.

Some spring barley has also been cut, although I dread to think what the sample must look like. It was not a year for spring crops in general, and spring barley in particular.

Beans look only a short while away, and usually they are harvested in September.

It is slightly different in the Fens, but that is to be expected. Even so, there has been quite a bit harvested already.

If the weather forecasters are correct, it looks like we are in for some more fine, dry and fairly warm weather in this area this coming week. If that is the case, I reckon many farmers will be 'wound up' regarding harvest this year, which will pretty much equal 1976, the last time I can remember a harvest such as this.

Just as a side note, my father and myself finished harvest in 1976 on 30th July. The following year (1977) was so bad that we did not start harvest until early September. That meant the combine had thirteen months between harvests! Never known that before or since!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:24 am 

Combines were rolling with a vengeance yesterday, and it looks like it will be the same today.

If this weather holds for a few more days, I reckon it will be all over bar the shouting except the beans and linseed by this time next week - and both of them don't look far away.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:54 pm 

We started wheat yesterday. It's dry and just about fit, yields are about 10% on some Gallant that might be 11th continuous wheat. Some Skyfall really slowed me up today.

I've been seeing pictures of heroes combining wheat after dark in the last week or so. I'd like to know what the rush is.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:31 am 

Wheat is ready, some spring barley is ready, not moved for a week though because of the weather. :?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:08 am 

It's now getting to the stage of finding some corn - or beans - that haven't been harvested.

Apart from Linseed, and one or two late sown crops, I reckon it's all over bar the shouting around here.

Fens will be a different story, though.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:27 pm 

Sort on back on form here after that 10-15mm of rain last weekend, took longer to get the straw fit again, it seemed that the bone dry stalks seemed to soak up moisture which took quite some time to dry as quick as the grain did. Compounded in some places where standing crops lodged and in places looked like col & his totty had been rolling around in it! Bit of a bugger seeing as 99.9% it all was standing which made cutting look easy as the boys in MacLand have it!

On the straw front we have gone from chopping +50% in most years so swathing every bit and balers are all over the place. Normally the southwest stock farms are satisfied by whats available up to wiltshire, this time anything not taken seems to be going west.

So with some low & low-ish yields but all in without firing the dryer up and to date only a couple of fields where the weedeater drank a lot of diesel+addblue, capped off with all straw sold and grain prices up could mean when its all been thru the adding machine it could be another "average" year.

Eta for finishing could be this time next week, good 2 weeks early. I can feel a "raggy" moment coming on :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:40 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:43 pm 

Beans did a touch over 2t/ac in the first field. The dude that came to inspect them said they were the best he'd seen this year. The field I've been in today was drilled 12 days later after 35mm of rain and has done a bit over 1.4t. The came out really clean. I thought they were Campus, but they're Daytona.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:59 pm 

Footnote to the earlier post, drove up thru old home end of the farm, been many years since there have been field after field with bales everywhere (except the burnt bit!), its back like the 90's. we had 6 balers on the place so far, a conventional, rounds for the local teat puller and hestons/quadrants for the straw boys.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:45 pm 

Don't think I've ever seen so much straw baled as this year.
They most probably won't be able to give it away.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:06 pm 

Cereals nearly done around here. A few beans, but they look nearly ready. Yields have been surprisingly good. Just leaves a few acres of sugar beet, potatoes, carrots and parsnips.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:46 pm 

Got my little bit of wheat done today, very early for us, next door were cutting osr.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:19 pm 

Wheaty stuff done and in shed

Tried spring oats but not ready

Tried OSR, the last field for a customer but it’s 13% and very green but we cut it anyway.

Might try some spring barley tomorrow to keep us out of the yard.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:49 pm 

Abandoned the wheat and dived into the spring barley seeing as it was wall to wall blue sky and dammed hot! finished all ours by sunset, back to base tonight, blow down, fuel & adblu, off to one small SB field we contract for, then last of wheat, doubt it will finish tomorrow but Wed could be it in the bag.

Forgot to mention that we have no beans for once (we always seem to grow the necklace ready variety :roll: ) and they gave up on some spring barley drilling when it didn't strike very well, so we have approx 120ac of maize for the digester boys

Spring barley straw today looked like it had been shredded, man came an looked at the 5 fields tonight as we left, someone wants it, have to see if they can get it up off the ground and into a chamber!

Reply to topic 
 [ 65 posts ]