Farming Forum UK

A forum for farmers and country-folk worldwide.
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:14 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:14 pm 

I have a little Acer laptop which i use to access my Gmail account, the link i normally use is now asking me to sign up to mail by microsoft corp, is it genuine or should i be wary? Confused of Pembrokeshire.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:25 pm 

I know little of such things, and I am sure that there are others on here who could advise you more fully, but my reaction is to be very wary.

If it were me, I wouldn't do it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:26 pm 

JM wrote:
I have a little Acer laptop which i use to access my Gmail account, the link i normally use is now asking me to sign up to mail by microsoft corp, is it genuine or should i be wary? Confused of Pembrokeshire.

What are using to surf the web? Whatever it is, Internet explorer, firefox, chrome ect, I'd set the home page to Google.co.uk and in the top rh corner of the page should be an option to log direct into GoogleMail - Gmail using your original password

I expect Windows on the acre wants you to use their MS offering - Mail, if you have a MS account then that should work otherwise your going to have to register with them, or use the google option above

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:47 pm 

footsfitter wrote:
JM wrote:

What are using to surf the web? Whatever it is, Internet explorer, firefox, chrome ect, I'd set the home page to Google.co.uk and in the top rh corner of the page should be an option to log direct into GoogleMail - Gmail using your original password

I expect Windows on the acre wants you to use their MS offering - Mail, if you have a MS account then that should work otherwise your going to have to register with them, or use the google option above

Thats what I'm doing atm, its just I used to go straight from the start screen via a link to my mail and thats what is asking me to sign up.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:36 pm 

JM wrote:
footsfitter wrote:
JM wrote:

Thats what I'm doing atm, its just I used to go straight from the start screen via a link to my mail and thats what is asking me to sign up.

I also have an acer laptop, with a gmail account and I haven't been asked to sign up for anything like that.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:17 pm 

JM wrote:
footsfitter wrote:
JM wrote:

Just put gmail in any browser search engine and you should get this site/link - https://www.google.com/gmail/ see what happens

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:19 pm 

footsfitter wrote:
JM wrote:
footsfitter wrote:
JM wrote:

Just put gmail in any browser search engine and you should get this site/link - https://www.google.com/gmail/ see what happens

Yes thats what i'm doing now. :thumright:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:33 pm 

JM wrote:
footsfitter wrote:
JM wrote:
footsfitter wrote:
JM wrote:

Yes thats what i'm doing now. :thumright:

What version of windows are you on? There will be default programs (or Apps if it W10) where you can change the default Email app/program W10 has Mail by default, I'm wondering if your old link is duff and windows is pointing you to the one set as default- hence Mail asking to open?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:51 pm 

I think its windows 8.1.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:08 pm 

Since having this laptop rebuild, due to a 3 year old using it as a trampoline it now has a proper windows 10 install.

I have been unable to set up my btinternet email into windows mail, it just wont accept it, its crap. Just have to use is via a web page.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:14 pm 

JM wrote:
I think its windows 8.1.

I was going to suggest trying to change the default app, but it could be a bit of a palaver if that old a version of windows needs to have deeper stuff altered to get it to find Gmail letalone link it up, If your able to get along with using the google page then I'd stick with that?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:11 am 

They lost me after 3.1.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:40 am 

McFarmer wrote:
They lost me after 3.1.

Totally agree, Mac.

Not a Ffukin word................... :roll:

Reply to topic 
 [ 13 posts ]