Is OSR finished?

All issues regarding arable farming.
Raggy

Is OSR finished?

Post by Raggy » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:35 am

I know farmers who ripped up 100's of acres last Autumn, and now looking at mine I would probably have been better off being in the same situation. I also see amazing patchwork fields where the sprayer has been applying Glypho.
What was a cracking looking crop I had in October / November now looks shocking. It won't do a tonne to the acre.
Failing OSR through CSFB seems to me to be a problem that has moved Westwards each year. Only reaching me this year.
With the loss of dressings, is OSR finished?
Or will a CSFB resistant variety be available in five or ten years time?
Fasten your seatbelts. We're off.

NQIT

Re: Is OSR finished?

Post by NQIT » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:13 am

It's finished. Didn't you see me there yesterday? 4 lt/ha glyphosate was on the rec. Growth regulator apparently. :lol:

Having travelled a few hectares last week doing fungicide/growth reg, I think some people will be surprised at harvest, and not in a good way. Crops that look good from the road are very patchy. Loss of neonics what done it Guv. Sugar beet yields will likely go the same way in a year or two.
Here we go again, hold tight.

Coltheox

Post by Coltheox » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:47 am

I had to do the same (rip it up) several years ago after those twats in the EU banned the seed coating to prevent invasion by Cabbage Stem Flea Beetle. They really are a ffuking shower, the EU. They need bombing, shower of shite.

At the time, I spoke to the former head of Morley Research (Norfolk) who told me, very angrily, that the decision to stop the seed treatment was purely political, with no scientific proof whatsoever. The ffukin greeny tossers in Germany were responsible - but then, what Germany wants, Germany gets. Ever was it thus in the EU.

BASTARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
Full English Brexit, please!

Lord Muck

Post by Lord Muck » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:55 am

What you should try and do Col (as I have done several times) is to actually research WHO agreed to what bans on what items.
Quite often it is only the UK who sign up for a full ban on everything while the rest of Europe (quite rightly) select, pick and choose what they want.

As for OSR, I have seen some fantastic crops this year (at the moment) and some truly dreadful examples.
As far as resistance varieties etc go, never forget what Elmsted once said - As quick as you get a variety to stand up to one disease, they'll make it susceptible to another.
It's a lovely day

JM

Post by JM » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:21 am

I seem to remember Rhizomania was going to stop people from growing sugar beet, plant breeding seems to have got round that one.
Just a Pembrokeshire twat.

Coltheox

Post by Coltheox » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:43 am

JM wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:21 am
I seem to remember Rhizomania was going to stop people from growing sugar beet, plant breeding seems to have got round that one.
Fine. Explain to me how anyone can breed into Oilseed Rape a natural insecticide which will repel Cabbage Stem Flea Beetle.

If you can, you will be a rich man.

And I still believe the highly respected former head of Morley Research - (and he voted 'Remain')

The Pretender

Post by The Pretender » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:52 am

Coltheox wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:43 am
JM wrote:
Fine. Explain to me how anyone can breed into Oilseed Rape a natural insecticide which will repel Cabbage Stem Flea Beetle.

And I still believe the highly respected former head of Morley Research - (and he voted 'Remain')
There will be a plant with gene it in that csfb dunt like. Chuck that in it and jobs a gudun
keep honking, I'm reloading

McFarmer

Post by McFarmer » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:48 pm

Coltheox wrote:
JM wrote:

Shirley you folks have BT varieties ?
Measure twice, cut once, curse, repeat.

Raggy

Post by Raggy » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:54 pm

McFarmer wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:48 pm
Coltheox wrote:
JM wrote:

Shirley you folks have BT varieties ?
BT? Over here Mac that's the main Telecoms provider. Like you have AT&T
Fasten your seatbelts. We're off.

McFarmer

Post by McFarmer » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:42 pm

Measure twice, cut once, curse, repeat.

Tel

Post by Tel » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:22 pm

I know some people who might have had some seed with a dressing on that might not be allowed, the CSFB still had it

NQIT

Post by NQIT » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:29 pm

Tel wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:22 pm
I know some people who might have had some seed with a dressing on that might not be allowed, the CSFB still had it
Would these people be poncy southerners?
Here we go again, hold tight.

footsfitter

Post by footsfitter » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:48 am

In yesterdays "The Australian" newspaper there was a bit about Canadian OSR seed thats been stopped from entering China because the commies reckon its got bug/disease in. They reckoned its more to do with Huwani's bosses daughter being held in Canada for spying.

Meanwhile the Aussies shipments of coal to china are also being held up by more than a month for "radioactivity" checks which has frozen them out of the market and driven their price for top quality coal to below that of cheap and more pollutant Asian coal. Plus it seems that satellite pictures show China is restarting building programmes of coal powered power generator stations that were mothballed as part of the Paris accord. - doing the direct opposite to here in Oz and us back home in the UK where we are cutting back for the environment lobby and both staring at gas shortages- Oz thing the south & west coast will demand will exceed supply as soon as 2023.
Best thing about Facebook is the logout button...

Coltheox

Post by Coltheox » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:33 am

McFarmer wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:42 pm
BT
Mentioned three words that are not allowed in the backwoods of the EU

'Genetically Modified Crops'.

The twats in the EU are still living in the Dark Ages. Positively Medieval, the shower of shite.

The Pretender

Post by The Pretender » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:01 pm

rape looks pretty good around here
keep honking, I'm reloading