How do the crops look where you are?

All issues regarding arable farming.
Coltheox

Re: How do the crops look where you are?

Post by Coltheox » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:40 am

graybo wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:35 pm
Trimbled up a combine yesterday and asked the dude how long before they'll
be starting,he said their wb is about a week to ten days away from being fit but their
neighbours started yesterday so they'll most probably make a start on Monday. :scratch:
A sage old man who knew a bit about barley (a lot, in fact) used to say 'When you thinks it's right, boy, go away for a weeks holiday, then come home and cut it'.

Amazing how many times he was right.
Full English Brexit, please!

Raggy

Post by Raggy » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:54 am

graybo wrote:
be starting,he said their wb is about a week to ten days away from being fit but their
neighbours started yesterday so they'll most probably make a start on Monday. :scratch:
We've got a neighbour who lets us know that the Barley is ten or twelve days away from being ready by starting to cut his. Then after going twice around his field he will park up for another week. Some just have to be first. :lol:
Fasten your seatbelts. We're off.

Coltheox

Post by Coltheox » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:32 pm

Raggy wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:54 am
graybo wrote:
We've got a neighbour who lets us know that the Barley is ten or twelve days away from being ready by starting to cut his. Then after going twice around his field he will park up for another week. Some just have to be first. :lol:
I rest my case..................... :D

The Pretender

Post by The Pretender » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:52 pm

Apparently the rape will get dessicated soon, possibly. Not sure what good it will do when it's pretty much gone off already. Then we'll have to wait 17 days or what ever it says on the bottle by which time everyone else will be on wheat and all of the rape seeds will have fallen on the floor.
keep honking, I'm reloading

NQIT

Post by NQIT » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:21 pm

The Pretender wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:52 pm
Apparently the rape will get dessicated soon, possibly. Not sure what good it will do when it's pretty much gone off already. Then we'll have to wait 17 days or what ever it says on the bottle by which time everyone else will be on wheat and all of the rape seeds will have fallen on the floor.
If you used a professional contractor for the job, they would ensure, by skilful adaption of application rate and forward speed, that each individual seed was cossetted in a protective layer of chemical ensuring shedding losses were minimal.
Here we go again, hold tight.

The Pretender

Post by The Pretender » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:52 pm

Raggy wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:54 am
graybo wrote:
The place our erstwhile work experience boy went to is like that. He normally starts when our wheat is still green then blocks the combine solid and pays Tuckwells to unblock it. He must buy drum belts by the pallet load.

Coltheox

Post by Coltheox » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:25 am

Went on one of my 'Rural Rides' yesterday.

Here's a question. Now that crops are beginning to ripen, I have noticed a pronounced increase in the area of winter barley being grown.

Has winter barley come back into fashion? Or is there now a bigger market for it? And is it malting or feed winter barley that has caused the increase?

Is there an agronomic reason for the increase?

I know that when I retired from farming, winter barley was hardly seen around here. Now there are fields and fields of it.

JM

Post by JM » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:58 am

3 crop rule possibly, or is it easier to control blackgrass?
Just a Pembrokeshire twat.

The Pretender

Post by The Pretender » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:43 am

Coltheox wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:25 am

Here's a question. Now that crops are beginning to ripen, I have noticed a pronounced increase in the area of winter barley being grown.

Has winter barley come back into fashion? Or is there now a bigger market for it? And is it malting or feed winter barley that has caused the increase?

I know that when I retired from farming, winter barley was hardly seen around here. Now there are fields and fields of it.
grass weeds

Coltheox

Post by Coltheox » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:02 am

The Pretender wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:43 am
Coltheox wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:25 am

grass weeds
Fair enough - but is it easier to control grassweeds - blackgrass in particular - in winter barley than winter wheat?

Maybe because of the sowing window for winter barley allowing more time for Roundup, etc???

I notice that the 'black peril' is now showing above the wheat in many fields in this area. With all the restrictions and withdrawals of chemicals is there much left to use which will control blackgrass? And I am beginning to think that Roundup's days are numbered.

Another question: How many long-standing chemicals that have been used safely for years have now been withdrawn or banned in the last few years? I was told that Chlorothalonil has been, or will shortly, be withdrawn and banned. If I remember correctly that was Bravo, and very useful it was too. Has it been replaced, or is it just another casualty of the 'Greeny' brigade who care nothing about food production?

graybo

Post by graybo » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:40 pm

Barley a go-go in Balsham today, they only have 300 acres fit so only revved up two of their three lesbians.
No one can steer like this Ffuker.

NQIT

Post by NQIT » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:55 pm

Combine going near here today in barley. For an hour. It's 18%! Its July 11th. FFS go away for a week. That's what Raggy would do.

NQIT

Post by NQIT » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:58 pm

Having administered sunshine to about 300ha of OSR this week, I can safely say that crops range from mediocre to worse. Normally I have to use the gift to find the tramlines. This year I can see the ground between plants and the boom has not been at maximum height. If you have OSR unsold, hold on. It could be in short supply.

Coltheox

Post by Coltheox » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:55 am

NQIT wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:55 pm
Combine going near here today in barley. For an hour. It's 18%! Its July 11th. FFS go away for a week. That's what Raggy would do.
And he would be right to do so!!!!

footsfitter

Post by footsfitter » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:08 pm

Got a couple of fields of WB they discovered today, one's ready at 13% because of the chalk and the other way over near greenham common on gravel is at 11%! so we have chucked all the covers and guards on the combine and are aiming to do them on monday-Tuesday, then I can try and get the irrigation sorted out while they are doing that then we'll have the combine back in to do the rest of the "pre season checks"

Also found today on the last barn they are loading out of that the steel grain walling has started to fail, the uprights are rusted thru and there is a gentle bulge in the steel wall along with a lovely bow in the end wall purlin, but being concrete means its not too well!
Best thing about Facebook is the logout button...