How do the crops look where you are?

All issues regarding arable farming.
Coltheox

Re: How do the crops look where you are?

Post by Coltheox » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:22 am

footsfitter wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:08 pm
Got a couple of fields of WB they discovered today, one's ready at 13% because of the chalk and the other way over near greenham common on gravel is at 11%! so we have chucked all the covers and guards on the combine and are aiming to do them on monday-Tuesday, then I can try and get the irrigation sorted out while they are doing that then we'll have the combine back in to do the rest of the "pre season checks"

Also found today on the last barn they are loading out of that the steel grain walling has started to fail, the uprights are rusted thru and there is a gentle bulge in the steel wall along with a lovely bow in the end wall purlin, but being concrete means its not too well!
Camgrain is your friend........................ :D
Full English Brexit, please!

footsfitter

Post by footsfitter » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:55 pm

Coltheox wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:22 am
footsfitter wrote:
Got a couple of fields of WB they discovered today, one's ready at 13% because of the chalk and the other way over near greenham common on gravel is at 11%! so we have chucked all the covers and guards on the combine and are aiming to do them on monday-Tuesday, then I can try and get the irrigation sorted out while they are doing that then we'll have the combine back in to do the rest of the "pre season checks"

Also found today on the last barn they are loading out of that the steel grain walling has started to fail, the uprights are rusted thru and there is a gentle bulge in the steel wall along with a lovely bow in the end wall purlin, but being concrete means its not too well!
Think Hampshire grain would be closer?
Best thing about Facebook is the logout button...

Coltheox

Post by Coltheox » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:03 pm

footsfitter wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:55 pm
Coltheox wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:22 am
footsfitter wrote:

Think Hampshire grain would be closer?
Probably. :roll:

Coltheox

Post by Coltheox » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:05 pm

Saw a gretol chunk of winter barley which had been knocked down between Dry Drayton and Hardwick yesterday.

Also a field of what looked like winter sown linseed being cut near Royston yesterday evening.

Coltheox

Post by Coltheox » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:02 am

Went on one of my 'Rural Rides' yesterday evening.

Several bits of winter barley now done, and most oilseed rape sprayed off.

Amazing just how quick the wheats are beginning to turn. Wouldn't be surprised to see some wheat done before the end of July.

Spring barley, in the main, looks poor. Sugar beet, on the other had, look well.

Coltheox

Post by Coltheox » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:32 am

I reckon some oilseed rape will be done this week. Still quite a bit of winter barley to do around here. Quite a bit already done, and after the weekend rain it is now hot and will finish off what winter barley there is.

As for wheat, it really is turning hellishly quick. With a few days of this weather, I reckon some will be ready to cut.

And so here we go again!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

The Pretender

Post by The Pretender » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:29 pm

Coltheox wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:32 am
I reckon some oilseed rape will be done this week. Still quite a bit of winter barley to do around here. Quite a bit already done, and after the weekend rain it is now hot and will finish off what winter barley there is.

As for wheat, it really is turning hellishly quick. With a few days of this weather, I reckon some will be ready to cut.

do you miss it?
keep honking, I'm reloading

Coltheox

Post by Coltheox » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:33 pm

The Pretender wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:29 pm
Coltheox wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:32 am

do you miss it?
In some ways, yes, and in some ways, no.

I don't miss the worrying about the weather, I don't miss the dust and sweat - but I do miss the smell of harvest. (do your worst!!! :D ) There is something about harvest that nothing can compare with. Problem is I am now older, and probably couldn't hack a full day. Don't know though, I wouldn't mind a bit of corn cart for someone else.

The Pretender

Post by The Pretender » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:52 pm

the planted rape doesn't look too good.
keep honking, I'm reloading

Coltheox

Post by Coltheox » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:05 am

The Pretender wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:52 pm
the planted rape doesn't look too good.
Desperately need some rain, Pret - and don't get me started on Flea Beetle...................