Manitou Getting Warm.

Tips, tools, repairs, rebuilds and fabrication.
The Pretender

Manitou Getting Warm.

Post by The Pretender » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:29 pm

2007 MLT 731LSU with a Perkins engine and about 4800 hours is getting warm.

I changed the coolant a maybe last year I think when it burst the top hose and there was a lot of pond water in it. It does seem to lose, or is it loose, I never know, some coolant, at least it needs the tank topping up from time to time. The outside of the rad appears to be clean. It's was blown out with the diesel compressor on Saturday while it was showing hot, but the gauge didn't go down and it doesn't when the heater gets turned on.

Any ideas?
keep honking, I'm reloading

NQIT

Re: Manitou Getting Warm.

Post by NQIT » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:34 pm

Stuck thermostat?
Here we go again, hold tight.

NQIT

Post by NQIT » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:35 pm

Lose. It's lose. Loose is what you feel before a race.

Raggy

Post by Raggy » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:40 pm

NQIT wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:35 pm
Paula Radcliffe. Didn't she loose that Olympic Marathon because she had a lose moment. :lol:
Fasten your seatbelts. We're off.

NQIT

Post by NQIT » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:43 pm

Raggy wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:40 pm
NQIT wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:35 pm
Paula Radcliffe. Didn't she loose that Olympic Marathon because she had a lose moment. :lol:
You taking the piss?

The Pretender

Post by The Pretender » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:49 pm

NQIT wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:34 pm
Stuck thermostat?
I dread to think what wilt turn up when I order a thermostat

NQIT

Post by NQIT » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:53 pm

The Pretender wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:49 pm
NQIT wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:34 pm
Stuck thermostat?
I dread to think what wilt turn up when I order a thermostat
Whatever turns up will be the correct part. Just not for your particular machine.

footsfitter

Post by footsfitter » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:45 pm

The Pretender wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:29 pm
2007 MLT 731LSU with a Perkins engine and about 4800 hours is getting warm.

I changed the coolant a maybe last year I think when it burst the top hose and there was a lot of pond water in it. It does seem to lose, or is it loose, I never know, some coolant, at least it needs the tank topping up from time to time. The outside of the rad appears to be clean. It's was blown out with the diesel compressor on Saturday while it was showing hot, but the gauge didn't go down and it doesn't when the heater gets turned on.

Any ideas?
12 years old. bin the 'stat but if youve a thermometer and a way of boiling it in some water see before its binned if it opens up well by the time its up to and beyond the temp stamped on it + 2 to 4 degrees C
If its a bypass stat (has the round plate/washer on the bottom to push down and close off the bypass gallery) and doesn't open well it will fail to stop water circulating round the top of the engine ie warmup mode plus the valve may not open enough to make enough flow through the rad- a double whammy.

also check the rad isn't dirty- air lines won't be enough, to properly clean rads needs pressure washer straight at core so it doesn't bend the fins. may even have to take it out to fully clean.

also, you need to check if its your model perky that has a problem with rotting timing covers where the water pump fits and eats away the alloy allowing water to leak- not sure if it leaks externally or get into the lube oil.

I'd do the above first. if that doesn't sort it one last thing to check is if it has a plastic waterpump impeller or maybe even a head gasket problem?
Best thing about Facebook is the logout button...

The Pretender

Post by The Pretender » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:02 am

Thanks FF. There's no evidence of water in the oil.

JM

Post by JM » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:48 pm

It doesn't take much to make Manitou's overheat, slightest bit of crap in the rad, our 627 struggles loading straw if the ground is slightly soft, spent 2 hrs last night loading straw with the heater going flat out to help cooling. We put a new expansion tank on ours the other day as the old one had cracked, it was a modified tank with a new bracket to hold it, suffice to say the bracket didn't fit :roll: .
Just a Pembrokeshire twat.

The Pretender

Post by The Pretender » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:34 pm

I ordered a new thermostat and a gasket for it today. They were given the engine number, engine serial number and machine serial number, so I'm expecting a hydraulic pump for a masted rough terrain forklift

NQIT

Post by NQIT » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:40 pm

The Pretender wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:34 pm
I ordered a new thermostat and a gasket for it today. They were given the engine number, engine serial number and machine serial number, so I'm expecting a hydraulic pump for a masted rough terrain forklift
Probably fit a Sanderson.

footsfitter

Post by footsfitter » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:15 pm

The Pretender wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:02 am
Thanks FF. There's no evidence of water in the oil.
I looked to see if Andrew the manitou guru's posts pin pointed the engine/dates but couldn't nail it down but thats something if theres no water in the oil.

Also rad cap- stick a new one of those on and clean the seat it seals onto. loss of pressure may allow small amounts to vent/leak via the overflow plus low pressure will allow it to boil sooner.

On the clutching at straws now- has someone been fiddling with it previously and used silicone gasket goo? Had a small CP road compressor last week overheating and the amount of excess black silicone gammed all around the waterpump was a clue, they are designed for using it but not troweled on! Sticking a camera in the rad inlet showed all these bits of black silicone sticking out of the rad core tubes. Reverse flushed it for now with the hosepipe but have booked the bateman with his small flushing pipe that will fit the rad nicely and get a decent flow across the tubes and hopefully get all the bits out.

Giving yours a good reverse flush wouldn't hurt either- especially if its been filled with mucky containers over the years. - The number of times as an apprentice Id been sent out on site to deal with fuel problems on concrete mixers where paddy had been using the water bucket to fill the diesel tank up!! sand, cement and water all in there!
Best thing about Facebook is the logout button...

The Pretender

Post by The Pretender » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:39 pm

It's only ever been topped up with clean, pre mixed antifreeze and tap water from the same containers.

I did my best to reverse flush it when I changed the coolant last year or when ever it was, but the rad was still in place. It's a dual coolant and oil cooler, so taking it out (side mounted engine) will be a little more difficult.

I don't think there ever been any bodgery on the cooling system with silicone goo.

Best order a new rad cap too, it as been blowing a little coolant out for a while and it was never obvious where it went.

The Pretender

Post by The Pretender » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:38 pm

There is some confusion with the thermostat. There are two types, they sent both. We'll probably get billed for both. Both will probably be wrong.

Engine number, engine serial number and machine serial number were all supplied. I'm not sure how much more information they need.