Windows 10?

Staffing, insurance, vets, computers and software.
graybo
Re: Windows 10?

Post by graybo » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:57 pm

Lumpkin wrote:
RGSP wrote:
Raggy wrote:I did. Didnt make any difference on my laptop. Aren't they going to start charging for it soon?
It did make some difference in the background, although the user interface is virtually unchanged. Now, everthing you do on your laptop is being relayed back to Microsoft, this is part of Windows 10. Bank transactions etc. should be thoroughly encrypted, and therefore not of much use to Microsoft, but they've got the files: can you guarantee some bent Microsoft employee doesn't find the files and then spend a lot of time decryping them? No, of course not. I would NOT use any computer running Windows 10 for anything confidential, or indeed anything involving transfer of money.
Personally, I would prefer Windows 10 Professional and Enterprise editions if I was going to do any bank transfers or handling of confidential information for one reason:

There is a flaw in the standard implementations (Versions 3 to 5, 5 being the current version) of the Kerberos protocol (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerberos_%28protocol%29) which is used by all vendors (Mac, Linux, UNIX, iOS, Android, Microsoft etc.) which means that pretty well anyone with more than three brain cells can download and deploy a tool like mimikatz (it's the friendly (tame) version of a set of tools commonly deployed by criminals as a rootkit which can transparently capture plain text passwords in Kerberos packets). The best encryption in the world is junk if the hacker has the passwords and keys.

If one vendor fixes the hole in Kerberos, their systems will be unable to communicate with other vendors who have not fixed the hole, so until the protocol is updated and deployed by all vendors as an update, everything will remain vulnerable. This hole has been in Kerberos since the mid 1990s and is by far the biggest cause of hacker theft from compromised systems. It has really only become relevant in the last few years with the rise in Internet commerce and online banking and payment. So far, only Microsoft in Windows 10 Professional and Enterprise editions have actually fixed this hole by putting a second stage of encryption in place through the running of a virtualised cut down copy of the Windows 10 kernel in a separate isolated memory space. If you are going to Windows 10, get the Professional edition, not home or whatever else. Enterprise is only available as part of corporate licensing schemes.
Yeah, that's what I thought as well.
No one can steer like this Ffuker.

Lumpkin

Post by Lumpkin » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:48 pm

graybo wrote:
Lumpkin wrote:
RGSP wrote:
Raggy wrote:I did. Didnt make any difference on my laptop. Aren't they going to start charging for it soon?
It did make some difference in the background, although the user interface is virtually unchanged. Now, everthing you do on your laptop is being relayed back to Microsoft, this is part of Windows 10. Bank transactions etc. should be thoroughly encrypted, and therefore not of much use to Microsoft, but they've got the files: can you guarantee some bent Microsoft employee doesn't find the files and then spend a lot of time decryping them? No, of course not. I would NOT use any computer running Windows 10 for anything confidential, or indeed anything involving transfer of money.
Personally, I would prefer Windows 10 Professional and Enterprise editions if I was going to do any bank transfers or handling of confidential information for one reason:

There is a flaw in the standard implementations (Versions 3 to 5, 5 being the current version) of the Kerberos protocol (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerberos_%28protocol%29) which is used by all vendors (Mac, Linux, UNIX, iOS, Android, Microsoft etc.) which means that pretty well anyone with more than three brain cells can download and deploy a tool like mimikatz (it's the friendly (tame) version of a set of tools commonly deployed by criminals as a rootkit which can transparently capture plain text passwords in Kerberos packets). The best encryption in the world is junk if the hacker has the passwords and keys.

If one vendor fixes the hole in Kerberos, their systems will be unable to communicate with other vendors who have not fixed the hole, so until the protocol is updated and deployed by all vendors as an update, everything will remain vulnerable. This hole has been in Kerberos since the mid 1990s and is by far the biggest cause of hacker theft from compromised systems. It has really only become relevant in the last few years with the rise in Internet commerce and online banking and payment. So far, only Microsoft in Windows 10 Professional and Enterprise editions have actually fixed this hole by putting a second stage of encryption in place through the running of a virtualised cut down copy of the Windows 10 kernel in a separate isolated memory space. If you are going to Windows 10, get the Professional edition, not home or whatever else. Enterprise is only available as part of corporate licensing schemes.
I know. Have a banana.
Don't hit me with those negative waves so early in the morning.

graybo

Post by graybo » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:07 pm

Lumpkin wrote:
graybo wrote:
Lumpkin wrote:
RGSP wrote:

I know. Have a banana.
Thankyou, have a handful of tud.
No one can steer like this Ffuker.

dust n diesel

Post by dust n diesel » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:36 pm

Why only this morning i was saying this to the mrs over breakfast. Which was nice.
Please sir, can I have some more?

Flintstone

Post by Flintstone » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:13 am

Has anyone updated Office recently? I allowed some updates recently since when PowerPoint won't run video (Media Player). Anyone else?
Hold still, it's nearly in.

dust n diesel

Post by dust n diesel » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:26 am

Flintstone wrote:Has anyone updated Office recently? I allowed some updates recently since when PowerPoint won't run video (Media Player). Anyone else?

Probably more to do with content than bugs.

You dirrrrrty old man.
Please sir, can I have some more?

Flintstone

Post by Flintstone » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:55 am

dust n diesel wrote:
Flintstone wrote:Has anyone updated Office recently? I allowed some updates recently since when PowerPoint won't run video (Media Player). Anyone else?

You dirrrrrty old man.

Not this time. I've two or three dozen clips that I use in presentations that have run fine for two years and now won't. I tried getting help from the ITP (=IT Person) at work but he'd gone home to Personistan for a holiday.

The Squire

Post by The Squire » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:02 pm

Flintstone wrote:
dust n diesel wrote:

You dirrrrrty old man.

Not this time. I've two or three dozen clips that I use in presentations that have run fine for two years and now won't. I tried getting help from the ITP (=IT Person) at work but he'd gone home to Personistan for a holiday.
Check be Flash media, etc up to date too.

Flintstone

Post by Flintstone » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:53 pm

The Squire wrote:
Flintstone wrote:
dust n diesel wrote:

You dirrrrrty old man.

Yes ma'am. :salut:

NQIT

Post by NQIT » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:47 pm

Flintstone wrote:
The Squire wrote:
Flintstone wrote:
dust n diesel wrote:

You dirrrrrty old man.

Yes ma'am. :salut:
Don't worry. She's already seen the videos. :o
No, not 'those' videos, but the ones you want to show on the course.
Here we go again, hold tight.