Cordless grinders - any recommendations?

Tips, tools, repairs, rebuilds and fabrication.
Howard_S
Cordless grinders - any recommendations?

Post by Howard_S » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:53 pm

Thoughts please?

footsfitter

Re: Cordless grinders - any recommendations?

Post by footsfitter » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:56 pm

Joined the owners club back in the summer with a bare Milwaukee 115mm 18v - went for that as I had acquired a 1/2" & 3/8" impact wrenches of theirs the year before and all used the same batteries.

It works best on light stuff- try grinding too hard and it will trip out. Its not really for hard work, more light de-rusting etc. It works well with a 1mm cutting disc- ideal pikeys tool as it cuts like the hot knife through butter. Works reasonably well with sanding discs.

Glad I didn't spend a shed load of money on a full grinder kit- a couple of batteries & one charger between 3 tools kept costs down and hopefully means the batteries last longer through regular use.
Best thing about Facebook is the logout button...

Lord Muck

Post by Lord Muck » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:10 pm

I bought the Ryobi +1 cordless just because I had bought a load of drills etc and it would use the same battery.
I have to say it's a great bit of kit, cuts and grinds through anything but like FF says, give it too much hard for too long and it will eat batteries but that's not an issue because it's only used for in field emergencies and any heavy duty stuff I do with a normal wired grinder.

Stick with a main brand and you'll be fine.
It's a lovely day

Raggy

Post by Raggy » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:35 pm

footsfitter wrote:Joined the owners club back in the summer with a bare Milwaukee 115mm 18v - went for that as I had acquired a 1/2" & 3/8" impact wrenches of theirs the year before and all used the same batteries.

It works best on light stuff- try grinding too hard and it will trip out. Its not really for hard work, more light de-rusting etc. It works well with a 1mm cutting disc- ideal pikeys tool as it cuts like the hot knife through butter. Works reasonably well with sanding discs.

Glad I didn't spend a shed load of money on a full grinder kit- a couple of batteries & one charger between 3 tools kept costs down and hopefully means the batteries last longer through regular use.
+1.
Mine's all Milwaukee too. One charger, batteries fit the drill and grinder, and (I think) the impact wrench too.
Does help that I get them VERY cheap from Mrs R's workplace. :D :D
Fasten your seatbelts. We're off.

Bloomers

Post by Bloomers » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:36 pm

Ryobi +1 lithium ion thingummie.
Taxi Willy,he's a hero...

Howard_S

Post by Howard_S » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:35 pm

Cheers peeps, got some padlocks to cut through so wont be tested too much!

Kidding, thats how our 4 quads went missing! Anyways just wondoured how the technology was progressing and any dos or don'ts?

Thanks

defender

Post by defender » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:48 pm

I have a de walt and cant say I would recommend them , I suppose the new ones might be better though

Raggy

Post by Raggy » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:45 am

Howard_S wrote:Cheers peeps, got some padlocks to cut through so wont be tested too much!

Kidding, thats how our 4 quads went missing! Anyways just wondoured how the technology was progressing and any dos or don'ts?

Thanks
The main to do to "escape" todays portable angle grinders and their caravan dwelling users is to get the biggest padlock you can. Preferably with a protected hasp, and definitely with a guard over it when locked in placed if used on a container.
Fasten your seatbelts. We're off.

Flintstone

Post by Flintstone » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:51 pm

Raggy wrote:
Howard_S wrote:Cheers peeps, got some padlocks to cut through so wont be tested too much!

Thanks
The main to do to "escape" todays portable angle grinders and their caravan dwelling users is to get the biggest padlock you can. Preferably with a protected hasp, and definitely with a guard over it when locked in placed if used on a container.
Are you saying land mines and laser guided killer dogs won't work?
Hold still, it's nearly in.

essexpete

Post by essexpete » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:55 pm

defender wrote:I have a de walt and cant say I would recommend them , I suppose the new ones might be better though
Have a De walt (just like like the big forum) drill, impact driver and now a multi tool. 18v 2 bat between 3. Pleased with them after all the shyte I have previously had.

defender

Post by defender » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:16 pm

essexpete wrote:
defender wrote:I have a de walt and cant say I would recommend them , I suppose the new ones might be better though
Have a De walt (just like like the big forum) drill, impact driver and now a multi tool. 18v 2 bat between 3. Pleased with them after all the shyte I have previously had.
I have a drill and impact driver as well and they are ok , The grinder was one of the first and has no power and eats batteries even on the skinny discs ,they are all 18 volt

rogerm

Post by rogerm » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:13 pm

We have a Dewalt, it's very good & shares batteries with our 995 cordless drill

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231850744145? ... EBIDX%3AIT

A mate has an older style Dewalt & it's crap
Smokin !