Stainless steel and magnets

Tips, tools, repairs, rebuilds and fabrication.
User avatar
footsfitter
Posts:2619
Joined:Sat May 09, 2009 11:59 pm
Location:Workshop- where else?
Re: Stainless steel and magnets

Post by footsfitter » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:39 pm

Paul Griffiths wrote:So after all these comments did you get the chain doohickey out ????

I dont muck around with magnets in fuel tanks I just use a piece of fencing wire
I find those bore scope things harder to use than just feeling around as I dont seem to get enough perspective inside

If you can dangle a little torch in the tank on a bit of string it helps to see what your doing

As you can tell I've dropped just the odd thing in tanks over the years

Paul
Any matches? :)
Best thing about Facebook is the logout button...

User avatar
Paul Griffiths
Posts:491
Joined:Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:36 pm
Location:North Queensland Australia

Re: Stainless steel and magnets

Post by Paul Griffiths » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:48 pm

footsfitter wrote:
Paul Griffiths wrote:So after all these comments did you get the chain doohickey out ????

I dont muck around with magnets in fuel tanks I just use a piece of fencing wire
I find those bore scope things harder to use than just feeling around as I dont seem to get enough perspective inside

If you can dangle a little torch in the tank on a bit of string it helps to see what your doing

As you can tell I've dropped just the odd thing in tanks over the years

Paul
Any matches? :)

yeah your face and my ?? :wink:

funny thing about matches in fuel tanks , hmmmmmmmmmmmmm I dont think much would be funny they tell me whom ever they are that its the fumes that go bang and the petrol and diesel will put the match out before it burns if you can get it past the fumes

I was told as young bloke when you weld a fuel tank always use the exhaust off a small motor running to purge the tank of fuel vapors and oxygen that way it cant go boom as the exhaust is always burnt

And you can weld a tank with fuel still in it with this method , I have yet to grow a big enough set of balls to try this but have welded the odd fuel tank with this method and am still around to talk about it


Paul

User avatar
Flintstone
Posts:4392
Joined:Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:33 pm
Location:E Herts

Re: Stainless steel and magnets

Post by Flintstone » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:34 am

Well it turns out the wire piece does respond to a magnet but only just. The single magnet I used isn't quite strong enough so Plan B is to dangle eight of them in the tank tomorrow.

I can't wait.
Hold still, it's nearly in.

User avatar
Paul Griffiths
Posts:491
Joined:Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:36 pm
Location:North Queensland Australia

Re: Stainless steel and magnets

Post by Paul Griffiths » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:14 am

I can just read tomorrows post "have chain and 8 magnets in bottom of fuel tank, any ideas on how to get them out" LOL


Paul

User avatar
Coltheox
Posts:14556
Joined:Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:50 pm
Location:Littlehay

Re: Stainless steel and magnets

Post by Coltheox » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:02 am

Flintstone wrote:Well it turns out the wire piece does respond to a magnet but only just. The single magnet I used isn't quite strong enough so Plan B is to dangle eight of them in the tank tomorrow.

I can't wait.
Is that eight inches????? :o
Full English Brexit, please!

NQIT
Posts:5470
Joined:Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:13 pm
Location:Norfolk

Re: Stainless steel and magnets

Post by NQIT » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:26 am

Paul Griffiths wrote:I can just read tomorrows post "have chain and 8 magnets in bottom of fuel tank, any ideas on how to get them out" LOL


Paul
.....and by the way, my arm is stuck too....... :lol:
Here we go again, hold tight.

User avatar
Paul Griffiths
Posts:491
Joined:Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:36 pm
Location:North Queensland Australia

Re: Stainless steel and magnets

Post by Paul Griffiths » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:37 am

NQIT wrote:
Paul Griffiths wrote:I can just read tomorrows post "have chain and 8 magnets in bottom of fuel tank, any ideas on how to get them out" LOL


Paul
.....and by the way, my arm is stuck too....... :lol:
"Nurse I need big tub of KY gel stat !!!!" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
Flintstone
Posts:4392
Joined:Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:33 pm
Location:E Herts

Re: Stainless steel and magnets

Post by Flintstone » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:33 pm

The fishing rod contraption with eight magnets took ten minutes to construct and demonstrated its ability by snatching anything ferrous within a foot radius. Lowered it into the tank and was reminded that although it is aluminium the supporting straps beneath are steel. The bloody stack of magnets keeps shooting toward the nearest fixing outside making it impossible to trawl for the wayward piece of wire.

Fuggit, fuggit, fuggit.

Need to put my thinking cap on. 8)
Hold still, it's nearly in.

User avatar
McFarmer
Posts:9196
Joined:Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:18 am
Location:Schizophrenia-Just this side of the border

Re: Stainless steel and magnets

Post by McFarmer » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:43 pm

Roll the car over.
Measure twice, cut once, curse, repeat.

User avatar
Flintstone
Posts:4392
Joined:Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:33 pm
Location:E Herts

Re: Stainless steel and magnets

Post by Flintstone » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:04 pm

McFarmer wrote:Roll the car over.

It's an aeroplane.


Image
Hold still, it's nearly in.

User avatar
McFarmer
Posts:9196
Joined:Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:18 am
Location:Schizophrenia-Just this side of the border

Re: Stainless steel and magnets

Post by McFarmer » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:23 pm

Flintstone wrote:
McFarmer wrote:Roll the car over.

It's an aeroplane.


Image

Well then put the magnet under the cap and barrel role.
Measure twice, cut once, curse, repeat.

User avatar
Paul Griffiths
Posts:491
Joined:Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:36 pm
Location:North Queensland Australia

Re: Stainless steel and magnets

Post by Paul Griffiths » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:36 pm

A piece of lite fencing wire and a little LED torch (flash light) on some string dangled in the tank and it will come out quick enough

And also take a piece of PVC pipe with you encase you push it off to the side to fare you stir the fuel around in the tank so the current brings it back were you need it

As I have said I have done this a few times but not on a plane

Paul

User avatar
Flintstone
Posts:4392
Joined:Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:33 pm
Location:E Herts

Re: Stainless steel and magnets

Post by Flintstone » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:13 pm

Paul Griffiths wrote:A piece of lite fencing wire and a little LED torch (flash light) on some string dangled in the tank and it will come out quick enough

And also take a piece of PVC pipe with you encase you push it off to the side to fare you stir the fuel around in the tank so the current brings it back were you need it

As I have said I have done this a few times but not on a plane

Paul


Tank is dry, the owner won't put fuel in and use it until this thing is out. The filler cap is in the side of the fuselage and has a 6" neck inside so you can't see down into the tank. When you look in all you can see is the wall on the other side. It's a bit like trying to win a prize from one of those rigged grabber machines at the fair but blindfolded.

Zoom in on the picture below and you can see the cap just beneath the aft window (not the aircraft in question but you get the idea).

Like I said, thinking cap.......


Image
Hold still, it's nearly in.

User avatar
Paul Griffiths
Posts:491
Joined:Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:36 pm
Location:North Queensland Australia

Re: Stainless steel and magnets

Post by Paul Griffiths » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:24 am

can you pull the sender unit out for the fuel gauge ???


And the old bore scope thingy can be the go for looking in side spots you cant see into

I find seeing it is half the battle, once I know were it is Im normally done shortly after woulds


Paul

User avatar
Flintstone
Posts:4392
Joined:Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:33 pm
Location:E Herts

Re: Stainless steel and magnets

Post by Flintstone » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:46 am

The sender unit can only be got at by dropping the tank out. A combination of boroscope and grabber would be ideal. You can buy a sort of boroscope/camera that plugs in to a phone or tablet for a few quid. eBay, here we come.
Hold still, it's nearly in.

Post Reply